HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Will the return of Koivu change all that much? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=24753)

Ryza_16_Habs Fan 11-01-2003 06:06 PM

Will the return of Koivu change all that much?

I am like all of you guys and hope Koivu comes back as soon as possible, and I like to see myself as an optimist, but a lot of posters here think Koivu will change everything. Ofcourse he will add more offense to this team, but the question is, for how long? How much? I really want Koivu back but I do not think it will change a whole lot for the team. Yes the team is struggeling, and yes we need serious help, but its still early.

Do you guys really think Koivu will turn it around for the team......? Or are you just frustrated? --->(Plekanec)

Rahan 11-01-2003 06:13 PM

I'm getting frustrated. Why can some teams bring in young guys without problems, but the habs always have logjams that make it impossible to bring our youngsters. Look at Plekanec, he could do better than Perreault. Higgins could replace Juneau.

Perezhogin won't even play for us next year because we'll have too much wingers.

Our situation s*cks. Why can't we bring them like Ottawa did ? I mean damn it.

Kerberos* 11-01-2003 06:30 PM

Yes the return of Koivu will change alot. Instead of teams only watching Ribeiro's line (because let's face it: Perreault and Audette don't belong on a winning hockey team), teams will also have Koivu to watch.

missthenet 11-01-2003 07:33 PM

koivu

Why does everybody wish for saku to come back and help get the team going? He played all last year with basically the same guys and look at the final result from last year. Saku will not make that much difference to this bunch. We need two top line forwards like a Bertuzzi and a scorer like Naslund, Yzerman and Shannahan, Tkachuk and Demitra ETC.

Corey 11-01-2003 08:18 PM

I'll tell you why. I looked at Zednik trying his best to score without getting any help from Ribeiro, who just isn't a first line center. Zednik needs Koivu, with whom he had his best season. Ribeiro has shot his bolt. He got 7 points and then he decided that 3 goals and 4 assists was enough for the season, that all he has to do is give fans a frisson of delight when he twirls around like a ballerina.

AzNDrAgOn 11-01-2003 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corey
I'll tell you why. I looked at Zednik trying his best to score without getting any help from Ribeiro, who just isn't a first line center. Zednik needs Koivu, with whom he had his best season. Ribeiro has shot his bolt. He got 7 points and then he decided that 3 goals and 4 assists was enough for the season, that all he has to do is give fans a frisson of delight when he twirls around like a ballerina.

What are you talking about... IMO, Ribeiro has done a good job so far replacing Koivu. It's not Ribeiro's fault if Zednik doesn't score. He does make plenty of good passes every game. He's like the only player in our roster that can create some offense regulary. After his 7th point, he still played well and created a lot of scoring chances. He just had back luck not scoring. Also, other teams are now making sure they keep an eye closer on him because we all know that he's the most dangerous Habs with the puck.

Corey 11-01-2003 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzNDrAgOn
What are you talking about... IMO, Ribeiro has done a good job so far replacing Koivu. It's not Ribeiro's fault if Zednik doesn't score. He does make plenty of good passes every game. He's like the only player in our roster that can create some offense regulary. After his 7th point, he still played well and created a lot of scoring chances. He just had back luck not scoring. Also, other teams are now making sure they keep an eye closer on him because we all know that he's the most dangerous Habs with the puck.

Because Ribeiro doesn't follow up the way Koivu does. How can he score goals when he doesn't want to crash the net? He doesn't have much of a shot from the faceoff dots or beyond. If the opponents focus on Zednik and the D leaves the post to go after him, that leaves room for Ribeiro (or any other center).

Kirk Muller 11-01-2003 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzNDrAgOn

I wouldn't say Ribeiro has done a good job of replacing Koivu, he has been okay, but in Ribeiro's defense, it would be impossible to replace Koivu with anyone on our current roster. Koivu is simply a much better hockey player, has more skill, creativity, hockey sense etc. than anyone on the roster.

Ribeiro is not a good second line centre, not yet at least. He has no consistency, is shut down easily in big games, has been invisible about half the games this year. The one thing is if Koivu returns, a lot of pressure will be taken off that line, which could help them immensely.

DEBASER 11-01-2003 09:53 PM

koivu is our captain and best player - of course his return will help.

CHareth 11-02-2003 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by missthenet
Why does everybody wish for saku to come back and help get the team going? He played all last year with basically the same guys and look at the final result from last year. Saku will not make that much difference to this bunch. We need two top line forwards like a Bertuzzi and a scorer like Naslund, Yzerman and Shannahan, Tkachuk and Demitra ETC.

And whence do you propose to get this dynamic one-two scoring punch? If it were only so easy.

While Saku's return will surely not be enough to make this team a contender (and, let's face it, no one really thought it would be prior to the season when it looked like Saku would be playing), he will certainly increase the chances of scoring more than 1 goal a game. I enjoyed eating the crow pie that Ribeiro was feeding me at the beginning of the season, but it now feels like I may puke it all up. Ribs has been invisible for the past half-dozen games and has absolutely no business on any team's top line.

Anksun 11-02-2003 06:31 AM

Zednik not scoring as nothing to do with Ribeiro. He's not SKATING anymore with the puck... Maybe Koivu could help me regain some confidences, we'll see..

Koivu is the best offensive player of this team by a good margin right now, so there is some room for optimistism...

Marksman 11-02-2003 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by missthenet

Souray? Ryder? Ward? Hainsey? Begin? Sundström? None of them had major parts with the team last year.

The final result was Habs finishing half a dozen points short playoffs spot.
Obviously there is some catching up to do - Habs got hot start cooling down but there is no reason to bet upset just yet, its a long season

Saku will make an impact because hes capable helping Canadiens major weakness - the powerplay (imo).

Histrion 11-02-2003 06:39 AM

Well, if the guys don't play the system, Koivu's return won't change ANYTHING! If the guys decide to play the system and pay the price to score the goals, then, we have a shot at the playoffs and Koivu's offensive play could get us some crucial wins down the stretch. It's as simple as that.

BLONG7 11-02-2003 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marksman2
Souray? Ryder? Ward? Hainsey? Begin? Sundström? None of them had major parts with the team last year.

The final result was Habs finishing half a dozen points short playoffs spot.
Obviously there is some catching up to do - Habs got hot start cooling down but there is no reason to bet upset just yet, its a long season

Saku will make an impact because hes capable helping Canadiens major weakness - the powerplay (imo).

:bow: Well said.