HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Where in the world is Simon Gagne? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=247686)

JXC 04-30-2006 03:11 PM

Where in the world is Simon Gagne?

Earlier in the year it was argued here that Simon Gagne isn't a "great" player because he doesn't create his own goals. Lots of people here objected to the notion.

Well, I think we're seeing proof positive now, at crunch time. Gagne is invisible, totally MIA, and don't give me his three goals because one was trash and the other an empty netter. Game Four was the biggest game of the year, and he did nothing. Today's game is bigger, and he's doing nothing. He looks like a timid little rookie out there.

Like I said in the last week of the regular season, if you're considering that Simon Gagne is your team's Most Valuable Player, you're destined for a short postseason.

He's just not that good.

BobbyClarkeFan16 04-30-2006 03:35 PM

And that's what annoys me about Gagne. He's a good player, but he seems content with just being good. He can be great if he wants it bad enough, but once again, Simon coasts through the post season and when you need him to have a big game, he's nowhere to be found. Absolutely no heart to the guy at all. It's clear he has no intention of ever stepping up his game. I know if the team were to deal him in the offseason, I wouldn't miss him. Yeah, he may have scored 45 goals in the regular season, but what has he done this post season. 3 goals....yay. His play has been uninspiring this playoffs. At this point, I'd rather have Marty Havlat.

GKJ 04-30-2006 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
And that's what annoys me about Gagne. He's a good player, but he seems content with just being good. He can be great if he wants it bad enough, but once again, Simon coasts through the post season and when you need him to have a big game, he's nowhere to be found. Absolutely no heart to the guy at all. It's clear he has no intention of ever stepping up his game. I know if the team were to deal him in the offseason, I wouldn't miss him. Yeah, he may have scored 45 goals in the regular season, but what has he done this post season. 3 goals....yay. His play has been uninspiring this playoffs. At this point, I'd rather have Marty Havlat.

I agree, and this is something else that I also didn't want to bring up until the offseason, but I saw now is the time to trade him - that is if he wasn't a UFA. We could definetaly get a lot for him. A disappointing effort though for someone who has been the Flyers' golden boy over the past few years. The drive simply isn't there.

Dig Out Your Soul 04-30-2006 04:00 PM

Who cares, the entire team doesn't show up and it's Gagne's fault? This is just a bad hockey team. They do not create anything. When the line match-ups favour Buffalo, even the almighty Forsberg couldn't do anything today.

TheKingPin 04-30-2006 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trippyime
Who cares, the entire team doesn't show up and it's Gagne's fault? This is just a bad hockey team. They do not create anything. When the line match-ups favour Buffalo, even the almighty Forsberg couldn't do anything today.

Forsberg was blanketed today. that means that Gagne was open to more than he did. I think we maybe put the guys that are playing well, play with Foppa. Nedved and Kapanen seem to have some drvie today. Put them on the top line.

Roger's Pancreas* 04-30-2006 04:05 PM

Better idea, try looking at our coveted rookies. 8/10 times they were on the ice it usually resembled a Buffalo power play. Just wow.

MojoJojo 04-30-2006 04:07 PM

I would love to see Gagne change roles with Kapanen. Let Kappy be the one free to use his speed to generate offense, and let Gagne be the one who kills penalty after penalty after penalty.

And Gagne is a UFA? I know the age of free agency is going down, but he's still only 26. I thought he had one more year as an RFA.

FearTheFlyers 04-30-2006 04:42 PM

Always the whipping boy for some reason.

Where have the worshipped powers of Jeff Carter, RJ Umberger and Joni Pitkanen been this series.

Gagne is one of the only players with a consistently good game.

And for the record GKJ, he's going nowhere.

chthonic 04-30-2006 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GagneOwnsYou

Where have the worshipped powers of Jeff Carter, RJ Umberger and Joni Pitkanen been this series.

comparing 2 rookies and a defensemen against our veteran leading goal scorer is a bit ridiculous.

Roger's Pancreas* 04-30-2006 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chthonic
comparing 2 rookies and a defensemen against our veteran leading goal scorer is a bit ridiculous.

A veteran at 29. What a world we live in.

chthonic 04-30-2006 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth

hes been in the nhl 6 years, each time in the playoffs. hes been in 2 olympics, a world cup, and the world juniors. hes no kid.

Dig Out Your Soul 04-30-2006 05:17 PM

Quote:

hes been in the nhl 6 years, each time in the playoffs. hes been in 2 olympics, a world cup, and the world juniors. hes no kid.

And a world championship. ;)

FearTheFlyers 04-30-2006 05:57 PM

Quote:

Yeah you're right he is our leading goalscorer and joint leading playoff goalscorer.

Easy to forget.

GKJ 04-30-2006 06:01 PM

Quote:

I know he's going nowhere, but he is one of the whipping boys because he's the only player on the team who scored 47 goals.

1 goal was an empty net goal

the other was a freak goal.

FearTheFlyers 04-30-2006 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
I know he's going nowhere, but he is one of the whipping boys because he's the only player on the team who scored 47 goals.

1 goal was an empty net goal

the other was a freak goal.

Freak goals still count.

It's not like his effort level has dropped, but when Forsberg doesn't play well like today it's tough for those who play off him usually to look good.

JXC 04-30-2006 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth

Amen to that!

If you [impersonal] want to say he "owns you" and he is "great" then he's gotta show up at ultracrunch time. Instead, he has evaporated.

That he has outplayed Carter is hardly a relevant point.

That he has outplayed Umberger is a fallacious one. Umberger has played better than Gagne.

But I just vent. I don't want him dumped in a bad trade. I just think that on a Cup winning team, Simon Gagne is a second line wing.

FearTheFlyers 04-30-2006 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JXC
I just think that on a Cup winning team, Simon Gagne is a second line wing.

He's not the GM too.

GKJ 04-30-2006 06:18 PM

Quote:

Freak goals still count.

Ok fine.

He scored the Flyers first goal of the game. It made the score 5-1

capn89* 04-30-2006 06:43 PM

Maybe he's hanging out with Carmen Sandiego

Lupul* 04-30-2006 07:00 PM

I don't think Gagne has been so bad. He is playing how he played during the final stretch of the season IMO.

BrindA17 04-30-2006 07:37 PM

My oh my, how quickly you turn on our players.

Trade him? He doesn't show up? How many goals did the other 17 skaters on the ice put in today?

He might not be "great," but he is a very good player, and I have 47 reasons why that's true.

Side note: Where was Keith Primeau come the postseason in his previous years? Nowhere to be found. He has one good post season, in which he outscores his abysmal regular season, and suddenly he becomes God.

Maybe we should wait at least until the playoffs are over before we pass judgment on Gagne.

TheKingPin 04-30-2006 07:39 PM

New challenge...
If we are going to take Gagne off and put Kapanen on the top line, which we should, he has earned it. Then what are the new lines? Do they look any better?

Any word on Kieth Primeau? :cry:

GKJ 04-30-2006 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrindA17
Trade him? He doesn't show up? How many goals did the other 17 skaters on the ice put in today?

How many goals did we have in Game 4, another game where Gagne was silent. In fact he damn near blew the game by handing Derek Roy the puck while on the PP and by the grace of God was the penalty shot null.

Roger's Pancreas* 04-30-2006 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyersphan
New challenge...
If we are going to take Gagne off and put Kapanen on the top line, which we should, he has earned it. Then what are the new lines? Do they look any better?

Any word on Kieth Primeau? :cry:

He's earned it? Granted, Kapanen shows more consistent hustle than any other Flyer, but he doesn't have the finish to be deserving of Forsberg's LW. Today he had a sweet chance on a breakaway and what happened? He gave it a weak as hell shot straight into Miller's pads. If it were in the OT of the game and Forsberg makes a perfect pass into the open slot I'd feel infinitely more comfortable if it were Gagne taking it.

GKJ 04-30-2006 07:57 PM

Kapanen has absolutely no finish anymore.