HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   We're nothing without Koivu (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=247779)

Kue 04-30-2006 09:06 PM

We're nothing without Koivu

I think the last 3 games pretty well confirms just how much Saku means to the team. Even when he's not scoring for 20 games, just his presence, work ethic and his passing ability is enough to make this team just that much better.

Here's hoping the team will give it one last go for Saku's sake.

EDIT: If they try hard enough, it won't be the last go for Saku's sake.

jpchabby 04-30-2006 09:08 PM

Now I see how much he's important to the team... maybe that's why he was signed for a so big salary loll

ChemiseBleuHonnete 04-30-2006 09:10 PM

I knew we were in big trouble when I learnt he was done for the series. He's the heart and the soul of this team.

BTW, for those who said that Begin would make the difference :clap:

JV 04-30-2006 09:10 PM

The reason we're nothing without Koivu is that we're weak down the middle. Is there a team left in the playoffs with anything like Ribeiro/Plekanec/Begin/Bonk?

Bonk is a very good (though expensive) 4th line center. He's a decent third line center.

Begin is a decent 4th line center.

Plekanec is a rookie who is coming along nicely, but he's not there yet.

Ribeiro has shown time and time again he can't get it done at the critical times, or with any consistency at all.

Case closed.

ToNedOuT 04-30-2006 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadienFan11
I think the last 3 games pretty well confirms just how much Saku means to the team. Even when he's not scoring for 20 games, just his presence, work ethic and his passing ability is enough to make this team just that much better.

Here's hoping the team will give it one last go for Saku's sake.

Yup....turning point of the series with him going down. I'm sooooo choked at Justin Williams, accident or not he single handidly changed the series.

our PP sucks...
higgins/ryder have been meh...
chemistry has been meh...

With Saku in the games I'm positive we'd be up in the series...

Whitesnake 04-30-2006 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpchabby
Now I see how much he's important to the team... maybe that's why he was signed for a so big salary loll

He's so important to the team 'cause we have no one else at that position that can do the job. And it's not ****in' Ribeiro that will do it either.....

But again, let the AVS losing Sakic with an injury and see what will happen to them...

optimus2861 04-30-2006 09:19 PM

Other teams battle through injuries, though. They rally round the fallen and play their hearts out. Even if they lose, they give it their all. Look at Toronto after they lost Sundin on opening night, for instance. I forget exactly when Sundin got back, but on Dec. 1 the Leafs were 15-9-3 and had put together a couple of 4-game win streaks.

This bunch? We saw it when Kovalev went down earlier in the season, and we're seeing it now. They fall to pieces when a key cog goes out (look at the record when Markov was out of the lineup as well). They just listlessly go through the motions, only putting up token opposition, and never make you feel like they're really in the game. They didn't show any urgency in tonight's game until there were about four minutes left, whereas the Canes came out like gangbusters right off the bat and played pretty solid the whole night.

It's that tendency to fold rather than fight that worries me as much if not more than Koivu's absence.

Crusher20 04-30-2006 09:26 PM

it true the habs arent the same when Koivu isnt there, but if the players believe in that they are absolut crap.

Evil Ted 04-30-2006 09:29 PM

Were capable of winning without him, the way we lost him and the point of the series in which we lost him really hurt the most. Hopefully he makes a full recovery.

Chfan 04-30-2006 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by optimus2861
Other teams battle through injuries, though. They rally round the fallen and play their hearts out. Even if they lose, they give it their all. Look at Toronto after they lost Sundin on opening night, for instance. I forget exactly when Sundin got back, but on Dec. 1 the Leafs were 15-9-3 and had put together a couple of 4-game win streaks.

This bunch? We saw it when Kovalev went down earlier in the season, and we're seeing it now. They fall to pieces when a key cog goes out (look at the record when Markov was out of the lineup as well). They just listlessly go through the motions, only putting up token opposition, and never make you feel like they're really in the game. They didn't show any urgency in tonight's game until there were about four minutes left, whereas the Canes came out like gangbusters right off the bat and played pretty solid the whole night.

It's that tendency to fold rather than fight that worries me as much if not more than Koivu's absence.

Its true that the team doesn't show much urgency, but as long as I can remember, the Habs were always like that, actually since the last cup.....

CalHabFan 04-30-2006 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chfan
Its true that the team doesn't show much urgency, but as long as I can remember, the Habs were always like that, actually since the last cup.....

Why is that?
I just cannot comprehend it :shakehead

loudi94 04-30-2006 09:41 PM

When Saku went down he took the entire first line down. Higgins and Ryder have been rendered ineffective. We effectively lost 4 players when he got his eye near poked out by Williams. Koivu, Ryder, Higgins, and Bonk.

Nielson81 04-30-2006 11:43 PM

With Koivu in the line up : Habs score 13 goals in 2.5 games.
Without Koivu in the line up: Habs score 5 goals 3 goals in 2.5 games.

Hmmmm...I don't think anyone can ever ever question how much he means to this team.

tml_4ever 05-01-2006 12:58 AM

So i guess Saku's sacrifice was in vain? O.o

Nobak 05-01-2006 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nielson81
With Koivu in the line up : Habs score 13 goals in 2.5 games.
Without Koivu in the line up: Habs score 5 goals 3 goals in 2.5 games.

Hmmmm...I don't think anyone can ever ever question how much he means to this team.

It wasn't Koivu that made Gerber suck though.

habslife 05-01-2006 06:27 AM

Wasn't Koivu there in game 3? Did we win?

The main reason for those losses is Ward who gave back Carolina their confidence. The loss of Koivu has very little to do with it. For a lot of you, Koivu is an icon but wake-up, if Montreal can't win without Koivu, who isn't a superstar player, they shouldn't go to the next round.

Evil Ted 05-01-2006 06:42 AM

Koivu also leads our team in game winning points, in ot alot of these games we dont have him. We got robbed in this series, all these games were close we just needed a little more to win them a little more as in a little koivu, its too bad we get beat out under these circumstances.

Koivu is the captian of the silver olympic hockey team, he is a superstar hockey player, you take any teams captain and leader these playoffs and remove them from there team there going to have a hard time making out of the first round.

Carolina will not be able to highstick there way out of another series.

RC51 05-01-2006 06:49 AM

Ok wait a minute.

If Koivu was a winger the Habs would not have been hurt so badly, the Habs have good replacement wingers.

THE problem is Koivu is the Habs top centre, removing any clubs top centre, with no replacement is what's killing the Habs.

The Habs were and are vulnerable at only two positions, Goal of course if you lose your top goalie ( like all clubs ) and in the case of the Habs the centre position because the Habs Don't have any top centre's after Koivu.

If the Habs had say Jokenin as second centre would this series be in a different state right now?

Gainey must address the issue in the off season, but wow it's realy clear what the Habs need.

mcphee 05-01-2006 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RC51
Ok wait a minute.

If Koivu was a winger the Habs would not have been hurt so badly, the Habs have good replacement wingers.

THE problem is Koivu is the Habs top centre, removing any clubs top centre, with no replacement is what's killing the Habs.

The Habs were and are vulnerable at only two positions, Goal of course if you lose your top goalie ( like all clubs ) and in the case of the Habs the centre position because the Habs Don't have any top centre's after Koivu.

If the Habs had say Jokenin as second centre would this series be in a different state right now?

Gainey must address the issue in the off season, but wow it's realy clear what the Habs need.

Sort of what I was going to say. The young players are ready to play well but not carry the team in terms of production. There's a difference between a team appreciating what you chip in and needing what what you chip in. Really, the team turns on 4 keys,Kovy,Koivu, the golaie and Markov.

RC51, if Dowd was your 13th forward, he'd fit in for a game or 2, but we'd suffer more if a Kovy went down. In a cap world, your depth can only plug so mnay holes I guess.

jester099 05-01-2006 07:13 AM

You people don't get it.

The turning point of the series will be how the wind changed with the habs victory on game 6 at home.

I can't believe how negative people get when we loose a couple of games :)

larue* 05-01-2006 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jester099
You people don't get it.

The turning point of the series will be how the wind changed with the habs victory on game 6 at home.

I can't believe how negative people get when we loose a couple of games :)

Exactly. You people can whine all you want when the series is over an the habs are out. But as of now Montreal still has a chance to win this series and I think they will. :teach:

mcphee 05-01-2006 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larue
Exactly. You people can whine all you want when the series is over an the habs are out. But as of now Montreal still has a chance to win this series and I think they will. :teach:

If you were here, I'd hug you and kiss you on both cheeks.

jester099 05-01-2006 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcphee

Don't get me wrong, but I'm glad I'm not here. :)

larue* 05-01-2006 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcphee

Thanks mcphee but I will have to pass. :)

mcphee 05-01-2006 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larue
Thanks mcphee but I will have to pass. :)

OK, your loss.