HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Ryan Suter for an equally valuable center (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=248385)

triggrman 05-02-2006 02:30 PM

Ryan Suter for an equally valuable center
 
The Predators have a few great young defensemen on the team and within the system like Dan Hamhuis, Shea Weber, Ryan Suter, Kevin Klein, Teemu Laakso and Ryan Parent.

Hamhuis, Suter, Klein and Laakso are all basically in the same mold of very good to great two-way defensemen all will more than likely play in the NHL a few could be stars. Suter has star potential.

I am not disappointed in Suter, he looked a lot like Hamhuis in his rookie season. However, we're in desparate need of a offensively gifted center, preferable with some size and skating abilities, and seem to be dealing from a great depth position. So what could we get for young Suter? What would your team be willing to part with?

Why Suter and not Hamhuis, Parent or Weber? Hamhuis has experience that we need now, Weber is the only physically dominate defenseman in the and Parent gives us the rare combination of size and speed in a defensive defenseman, so we can't afford to lose any of these guys at this point and of the remaining prospects Suter has the highest value, and we're needing an equally valuable return just at the center position...

Twist and Shout 05-02-2006 02:36 PM

Ryan Suter for Anze Kopitar and a pick.

Darth Milbury 05-02-2006 02:40 PM

The Isles could definitely use defense prospects and have some decent center prospect. The problem, however, is Suter is the same type of guy we already have: smallish (or at least not big) and offensively talented. The Isles need a banger like Shea Weber.

I guess a few teams are in the same position.

Reaper45 05-02-2006 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sevenSteen
Ryan Suter for Anze Kopitar and a pick.

No.

Verbal Kint* 05-02-2006 02:50 PM

I'll be the first to say it. Suter would be the absolute perfect building block for any deal involving Brad Richards.

MojoJojo 05-02-2006 02:51 PM

How about Jeff Carter? Seems about the same in value and the Flyers could use someone on the blue line.

triggrman 05-02-2006 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MojoJojo
How about Jeff Carter? Seems about the same in value and the Flyers could use someone on the blue line.

See that's exactly the type of deal I think we need.

BobbyClarkeFan16 05-02-2006 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MojoJojo
How about Jeff Carter? Seems about the same in value and the Flyers could use someone on the blue line.

Ooooh, I don't know about Carter. I'd offer up Umberger first before offering Carter.

Verbal Kint* 05-02-2006 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
Ooooh, I don't know about Carter. I'd offer up Umberger first before offering Carter.

There's no way Umberger gets you Suter. Carter might be slightly more valuable (that Suter, might not), but they'd be about on an even keel and if Phildelphia needed a young defenseman, then that deal looks practically perfect.

BobbyClarkeFan16 05-02-2006 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Master of Puppets
There's no way Umberger gets you Suter. Carter might be slightly more valuable (that Suter, might not), but they'd be about on an even keel and if Phildelphia needed a young defenseman, then that deal looks practically perfect.

I beg to differ. I think Umberger could get Suter. I'd like to see your reasoning why Umberger couldn't land Suter. My argument for Umberger is that he's got great size, he's a good skater, he sees the ice well, is tough, has a great shot, and bagged 20 goals in which he was given roughly 12 minutes of ice time a night. Put him in Nashville on the top spot and easily he gets 30 to 40 goals. I should also mention that Umberger is versatile in that not only can he play the center spot, he can also play the wing. Versatility is a great thing to have.

triggrman 05-02-2006 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
Ooooh, I don't know about Carter. I'd offer up Umberger first before offering Carter.

See I'd counter that by offering up Klein instead of Suter. I'm with MoP here, Umberger doesn't quite have the upside for us to give Suter up for him...

Verbal Kint* 05-02-2006 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
I beg to differ. I think Umberger could get Suter. I'd like to see your reasoning why Umberger couldn't land Suter. My argument for Umberger is that he's got great size, he's a good skater, he sees the ice well, is tough, has a great shot, and bagged 20 goals in which he was given roughly 12 minutes of ice time a night. Put him in Nashville on the top spot and easily he gets 30 to 40 goals. I should also mention that Umberger is versatile in that not only can he play the center spot, he can also play the wing. Versatility is a great thing to have.

Umberger's also 23 and while there is room for improvement, I find it hard to imagine that a guy who scored 38 points at that age is going to become a first line player in the high scoring NHL. Umberger is looking to be an offensively gifted second liner and I have been less than impressed with his hockey sense and defensive games. Also perhaps this is just me, but he seems to go MIA during some crucial moments in the game (and please don't mention that fluke shot on Miller a few days ago).

Suter on the other hand is two years younger, and plays a superb all around game. Finding a complete package in a defenseman is something that is very rare and while I doubt he'll ever hit the level of a superstar, the kid is going to develop into a very solid top-pairing D-man from what I can see.

The fact that whichever team has Suter is also guaranteed at least two more years with him is kind of encouraging as well.

Darth Milbury 05-02-2006 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
I beg to differ. I think Umberger could get Suter. I'd like to see your reasoning why Umberger couldn't land Suter. My argument for Umberger is that he's got great size, he's a good skater, he sees the ice well, is tough, has a great shot, and bagged 20 goals in which he was given roughly 12 minutes of ice time a night. Put him in Nashville on the top spot and easily he gets 30 to 40 goals. I should also mention that Umberger is versatile in that not only can he play the center spot, he can also play the wing. Versatility is a great thing to have.


Suggesting that Umberger could "easily get 30 to 40 goals" is more than a little bit of a reach.

Rabid Ranger 05-02-2006 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper45
No.


You don't think the Kings would go for that kind of deal (Suter for Kopitar)? I do.

Rabid Ranger 05-02-2006 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Suggesting that Umberger could "easily get 30 to 40 goals" is more than a little bit of a reach.

I agree. Umberger has the talent to get 30 or so in a great year, but I'm not holding my breath.

Rabid Ranger 05-02-2006 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MojoJojo
How about Jeff Carter? Seems about the same in value and the Flyers could use someone on the blue line.

That's a very fair deal. Maybe it could be expanded a bit:

Legwand (who needs a change of scenery) + Suter

for

Carter + ?

Seph 05-02-2006 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger
That's a very fair deal. Maybe it could be expanded a bit:

Legwand (who needs a change of scenery) + Suter

for

Carter + ?

What would you want in terms of trade for just Legwand?

Verbal Kint* 05-02-2006 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger
That's a very fair deal. Maybe it could be expanded a bit:

Legwand (who needs a change of scenery) + Suter

for

Carter + ?

I'm not sure that Legwand is the best fit in a deal for the Flyers, as they seem to be logjammed at centre as is.

Suter and a second for Carter and fourth.

Then again, I always hated draft pick deals.

Agent007 05-02-2006 04:33 PM

well its bound to get thrown out there so i might as well just do it. How about Brenden Morrison??

Rabid Ranger 05-02-2006 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Master of Puppets
I'm not sure that Legwand is the best fit in a deal for the Flyers, as they seem to be logjammed at centre as is.

Suter and a second for Carter and fourth.

Then again, I always hated draft pick deals.


Would you be adverse to a deal involving Handzus?

Reaper45 05-02-2006 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger
You don't think the Kings would go for that kind of deal (Suter for Kopitar)? I do.

No I don't.

Rabid Ranger 05-02-2006 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seph
What would you want in terms of trade for just Legwand?

From the Isles? The Preds need a dynamic presence at forward and I don't know if the Isles would have what they are looking for. Maybe your 1st round draft pick?

Rabid Ranger 05-02-2006 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper45
No I don't.

Personally, I think the Kings need a stud defenseman more than a stud forward, but that's me.

AdmiralPred 05-02-2006 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger
That's a very fair deal. Maybe it could be expanded a bit:

Legwand (who needs a change of scenery) + Suter

for

Carter + ?

Does Legwand need a change of scenery or is his NHL game more suited for Nashville's style?

Rather Gingerly 1* 05-02-2006 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
Ooooh, I don't know about Carter. I'd offer up Umberger first before offering Carter.

How about Handrus and a first


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:49 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.