HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Koivu: Status Vague? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=248405)

KingJarl 05-02-2006 03:30 PM

Koivu: Status Vague?

TSN has posted a vague report concerning Koivu and when he might play. Could BG be using some playoff subterfuge to surprise Carolina at gametime?

Maybe I'm grasping for straws here, but if Koivu were ready for the game tonight, I think I'd use the same strategy.

Kingjarl

Artyukhin* 05-02-2006 03:32 PM

no chance he plays tonight ... nudda

Joe Malone 05-02-2006 03:37 PM

Koivu Won't Play, But Eye Is Improving

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=164635&hubname=nhl

Dan K 05-02-2006 03:40 PM

I'm thinking that means very very very small outside shot for game 7, but should be back for early on in round 2.

KingJarl 05-02-2006 03:42 PM

TSN is now reporting:

"Koivu was to miss a third straight game Tuesday night."

"Gainey said he cannot predict when Koivu will be able to resume playing."

... I dunno ... but I can always hope!

Russeltown 05-02-2006 03:44 PM

If what you say is true, then Bob Gainey shouldn't coach in the NHL. Obviously he has enough experience and won many Stanley Cups.. You can't do that, even if you're in series.

Laviolette did the same, when he was hiding to the journalist who was going to be his starting goalie on game #3.

Fish on The Sand 05-02-2006 03:50 PM

if Koivu comes onto the ice out of nowhere tonight I gaurentee montreal will win the stanley cup. It would be the single greatest comeback in sports history. Man gets monstrous cut on his eye expected to miss weeks then returns. It would be like something from WWE.

KingJarl 05-02-2006 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sYn
If what you say is true, then Bob Gainey shouldn't coach in the NHL. Obviously he has enough experience and won many Stanley Cups.. You can't do that, even if you're in series.

Laviolette did the same, when he was hiding to the journalist who was going to be his starting goalie on game #3.

I don't understand this comment. Why should he not coach in the NHL if he doesn't want to report the status of his most valuable player until gametime? Maybe they'll do a last minute assessment before gametime? Why is that so unreasonable?

That being said, I don't expect by any means to see him tonight, but I certainly don't think covering the severity of the injury is reason to call for BG's job (if that is what he is doing).

Kingjarl

doormat247 05-02-2006 04:02 PM

I'm with ya on that BG shouldn't have to say anything about the injury.

IMO no team should be forced to give specific information about injuries other then to say that a player may or may not play. Why paint a target on someone? This isn't football where you only play a team one time, this is hockey where you line up against the same guys for two solid weeks. Injury info is for the gamblers anyway.

Live Forever 05-02-2006 04:06 PM

Well, if and this is a Big IF Koivu manages to play a game in round 1 all I've got to say it that I've heard stories of players playing on one knee, a fractured wrist, broken ribs, broken foot, the flu, etc...but never have I heard of someone playing with only 1 functioning eye.

Garbs 05-02-2006 04:09 PM

What's all this about a picture surfacing?

KingJarl 05-02-2006 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Live Forever
Well, if and this is a Big IF Koivu manages to play a game in round 1 all I've got to say it that I've heard stories of players playing on one knee, a fractured wrist, broken ribs, broken foot, the flu, etc...but never have I heard of someone playing with only 1 functioning eye.

Well that's just it. We have no idea how well he can see out of that eye.

... here's hoping!

Kingjarl

Montrealer 05-02-2006 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand
if Koivu comes onto the ice out of nowhere tonight I gaurentee montreal will win the stanley cup. It would be the single greatest comeback in sports history. Man gets monstrous cut on his eye expected to miss weeks then returns. It would be like something from WWE.

Yeah, but then Williams would come from behind and hit him with a folding chair, and then Williams, Brind'Amour and Cole would stomp on him for a minute while everyone looked on in shock... then they would run away while Souray, Downey and Komisarek came running

Then J.R. would be screaming "Oh my God!" over and over again

:huh: The worst of the above is I only see like 5 minutes of wrestling a week because I'm waiting for SportsCenter

The n00b King * 05-02-2006 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montrealer
Yeah, but then Williams would come from behind and hit him with a folding chair, and then Williams, Brind'Amour and Cole would stomp on him for a minute while everyone looked on in shock... then they would run away while Souray, Downey and Komisarek came running

:huh: The worst of the above is I only see like 5 minutes of wrestling a week because I'm waiting for SportsCenter

i dont watch wrestling but i would pay to see that.

AD 05-02-2006 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montrealer

Nice :)

Raider917 05-02-2006 05:30 PM

has a career threatening injury been completely ruled out yet?

KingJarl 05-02-2006 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider917
has a career threatening injury been completely ruled out yet?

From what I gather, it seems a career threatening injury has been all but ruled out. That is, there are still parts of the eye they can't check - but if the recovery continues at this pace, there should be no permanent damage.

Russeltown 05-02-2006 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingJarl
I don't understand this comment. Why should he not coach in the NHL if he doesn't want to report the status of his most valuable player until gametime? Maybe they'll do a last minute assessment before gametime? Why is that so unreasonable?

That being said, I don't expect by any means to see him tonight, but I certainly don't think covering the severity of the injury is reason to call for BG's job (if that is what he is doing).

Kingjarl

Well, he can "hide" his line-up... but if a journalist asks about Saku, he should at least answer about. I have a lot of respect in Bob, so I trust him when he says that Saku won't come back. NHL is not WWE hehe.