HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Keeping gear non-smelly and clean! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=248493)

Phoenix 05-02-2006 08:26 PM

Keeping gear non-smelly and clean!

Just started playing and have gone out and bought some nice new equipment...but how the blazes though do you keep your gloves, shin, and elbow pads odour-free (most importantly!) and clean! My elbow pads says I can use mild soap, but I didn't exactly get care tags on the rest. Atm I'm just putting my shin pads over trackies, but when I took my pads off my trackies were rather sweaty so I can't imagine how much sweat will be in the pads when I put them straight onto skin.

Especially gloves, with the amount I sweated in them in only 1 session, I'm horrified to think how much they'll absorb by the end of the year. They're the Easton Synergy 900s. :amazed:

sc37 05-02-2006 08:35 PM

Air them out. Since it's getting warm out, put them out on your deck or something. Sunlight kills germs..my stuff smelled so much better after I aired it outside one afternoon.

You can pretty much dunk all your gear in some warm water and mild soap. Gloves...maybe look into some sorta spray they got since gloves sometimes don't dry well...but seen some people do it, I personally dont. Skates you cant, and helmet--maybe, cept the glue might come loose.

Doctor Hook 05-02-2006 08:40 PM

Definitely air it out after every use, and also spray it down with Lysol to kill germs. Don't forget to spray down the inside of your equipment bag asd well. You won't keep it 100% odor-free, but you will be less stinky than some other teammates.

night-timer 05-02-2006 08:45 PM

I'm in Australia, too. (By the way everyone else, it's winter time in the southern hemisphere so it isn't getting warmer.)

I recommend airing the gear thoroughly. As for removing odour, I spray the pads with 'Preen' spray-on stain remover (which removes the stains and the smell) and then rinse the gear thoroughly.

I think it's important to avoid neglecting this task. Get into a habit of routinely inspecting and washing your hockey equipment.

As for gloves, an NHL player once recommended talcum powder to me. I personally don't think gloves will be your stinkiest item, but if you're worried give it a try. Just lightly tip some into the gloves.

Also, a friend who works in a laundry recommends soaking (takes longer) rather than merely washing items.

Blackjack 05-02-2006 09:01 PM

I just air it out, but I have a friend who, once a month, takes his stuff to a large laundromat, and washes everything with warm water, a small amount of detergent, and a small amount of bleach...

Grave77digger 05-02-2006 09:10 PM

i dunk it in my bathtub with enough bleach to burn your eyes!

technophile 05-02-2006 09:28 PM

When you get home, immediately take all your stuff out of your bag and lay out out or hang it up so it can dry. Letting it dry every time will keep it pretty funk-free for a long time.

Some pads have removable liners you can put through the washer (though I'd avoid putting anything with plastic or velcro in/on it through the dryer). Others you can hose off or dunk in a bucket of water with a little detergent in it, then rinse and hang to dry. OxyClean or something similar is a great thing to add to the wash (machine or hand) as well.

If you live in a humid area, a gear dryer (skate/glove dryer etc) might be a good investment, although I live in a somewhat humid area and have never had a problem.

If it gets really nasty, there are professional cleaning services for sports gear, though I can't recall the name offhand.

Teri 05-02-2006 09:42 PM

highly recommend Febreeze for the odor

gamera 05-02-2006 09:52 PM

ozone generating air fresheners/cleaners will also kill the smell, similar to leaving it outside

i have one called "living air" and, although i haven't used it on hockey equipment, i have used it to deodorize other non-washables

vcx* 05-03-2006 01:11 AM

Air them out, or use a hair dryer, the heat and the quick drying helps.

sc37 05-03-2006 09:42 AM

Be really careful with the heat...it can break down the padding and plastic. And as for Lysol and bleach...it might irritate your skin so rinse it off well.

I air out my stuff after every game, doesn't really stink much at all..when it does, out on the deck it goes.

Jacob 05-03-2006 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teri
highly recommend Febreeze for the odor

I've found that Febreeze mixed with body sweat creates a monster.

I sometimes sprinkle baking soda on the palms of my gloves and in my skates.

ginblossoms 05-03-2006 06:43 PM

when i wash my equipment, i put some ammonia in there... that takes care of alot of the odor problem...

SabFanInOtt 05-03-2006 09:34 PM

I just air out my equipment as soon as I can but a friend of mine actually pays for some kind of eco-wash where they take all your equipment and wash it in a special washing machine. Costs around $50 or so and he swears by it. Me, I'd rather save the money.

night-timer 05-04-2006 03:33 AM

I'm a bit of a clean freak. Some players really don't care - you will smell them when they're nearby! Airing the items out has worked well for me, as many of us seem to be saying to you.

I only spray/wash the items once every 4 to 6 weeks, and I'm on the ice three times weekly.

2x4* 05-05-2006 08:29 AM

Freddy Fresh Puck!
http://www.hockeyshop.ca/images/bubblegumpuck.jpg

ChokingV 05-05-2006 05:16 PM

I just throw everything but my skates, gloves, and helmet into the wash every few games. I've been doing this for a few years now with the same equipment and they haven't broken down or anything. It doesn't get rid of discolorization, but it kills the odor well enough.