HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Havlat available? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=248743)

FlavorFlav 05-03-2006 11:17 AM

Havlat available?

Can anyone confirm if he is available? I thought I heard he was, and that it was unlikely the Sens would sign him because of bucks going to Redden & Chara.

To me this would be an ideal signing. Surely we could afford this, given that Theo's gone, and that likely Bulis, Sunny, et al are too.

Shabutie 05-03-2006 11:19 AM

He isn't yet, it all depends on the choices Ottawa makes. Personally I think they're crazy if they let him go.

henri2014 05-03-2006 11:21 AM

I would love to see him in a habs uniform but i doubt that the sens do..

If he is traded it will probably be out west.

I could see gainey offering atleast ryder for him Aebi too...

Roy G Biv* 05-03-2006 11:23 AM

No.

muffin with tentacle 05-03-2006 11:26 AM

It's true. We won't be able to keep Havlat because we have to sign Redden and Chara. We won't be able to keep Chara because we have to sign Havlat and Redden. We won't be able to keep Redden because we have to sign Chara and Havlat.

Basically, you can expect all three to be in Habs jerseys next fall.

Shabutie 05-03-2006 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Schaefer
It's true. We won't be able to keep Havlat because we have to sign Redden and Chara. We won't be able to keep Chara because we have to sign Havlat and Redden. We won't be able to keep Redden because we have to sign Chara and Havlat.

I don't get why you have to put it that way. It was a simple and harmless question, no need to be a dick about it.

felixd 05-03-2006 11:38 AM

Quote:

Basically, you can expect one of these players to be playing somewhere else in the fall

Fixed it for you. If anyone of Havlat, Chara, or Redden is cut loose, I'd be willing to bet there would be 29 teams calling for them. It's only normal that we're interested here in Montreal.

mcphee 05-03-2006 11:38 AM

Quote:

Sorry, can you let us know what we can discuss or what players we'd like to see acquired.

Flav, you should know better.

MathMan 05-03-2006 11:39 AM

The Sens will have to make choices and one (no more) of Redden, Chara or Havlat may have to go to fit under the cap. If this happens I very much doubt it'll be Havlat unless he makes crazy salary demands. If the Sens do decide to part with Havlat it'll be via trade and he won't come cheap, but I don't see that happening.

muffin with tentacle 05-03-2006 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shabutie
I don't get why you have to put it that way. It was a simple and harmless question, no need to be a dick about it.

It was a joke.

Ottawa will not be trading a player like Martin Havlat as long as they still have the rights to him. It happened with Hossa, but I don't think Montreal has anything of equal value to offer in return. If we can't afford all of our stars, Chara will most likely walk as a UFA.

mcphee 05-03-2006 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henri2014
I would love to see him in a habs uniform but i doubt that the sens do..

If he is traded it will probably be out west.

I could see gainey offering atleast ryder for him Aebi too...

If they were to deal a player like Havlat, it would mean they'd strecthed the cap to afford their d men. If that was the case, it would be for cheap young talent who could produce for a few years before getting paid big $. They could wait and see how the markey developed but do you want to talk Gui, Plekanec ,Price, those type of players ? Chipchura ? They'd deal for what they wanted,not we wanted to get rid of, not that I'm down on Ryder,I'm not.

#44_delivers 05-03-2006 11:44 AM

if havlat is avalable, he isnt avalable to us.

Blind Gardien 05-03-2006 11:44 AM

Havlat will be a restricted FA, so it's doubtful that he qualifies as being particularly available. He's a guy you'll have to pay $5M+ and give up something decent, young, and cheap that the Sens want in a trade... IF they were going to move him at all. Which essentially makes him unavailable to us, IMO.

If the Sens can find a way to get rid of Smolinski, dump Hasek, Varada, can find ways to not give really really huge raises to Spezza or Redden (the ones who seem most likely to come back without holding a gun to the Sens' head)... and the cap goes up to $46M... then they might actually be able to squeeze them all under their cap, surprisingly enough. Lots of maybes there.

But if they can't manage to get them all in place, then if I'm the Sens, it's definitely Havlat that I'd move. Because:
a) You get something nice back for him in a trade.
b) You've got Kaigorodov and Mirnov coming soon.
c) Chara and Redden are going to be crucial in protecting a contending team with Emery/?Morrison? in nets.

henri2014 05-03-2006 11:45 AM

Well ottawa is lacking someone in the net so Aebi could be a good fit?

Shabutie 05-03-2006 11:48 AM

Let's just say we have a better chance at getting Elias.

Beakermania* 05-03-2006 11:50 AM

I still want a Stud first line Centre. Brad Richards anyone??

Richards and Kovalev on line one
Higgins Koivu Ryder line two

:yo:

Blind Gardien 05-03-2006 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henri2014
Well ottawa is lacking someone in the net so Aebi could be a good fit?

Aebischer's $1.9M QO is more than Hasek's $1.5M salary was. I think they're trying to clear salary in goal, not add it. I suppose if the Habs don't qualify Aebischer and he ends up kicking around begging at doors for a $500k contract, the Sens might be interested. Otherwise, can't see it. Behind that team of theirs, Emery is clearly all they need, and any scrub playing for the league minimum can be the backup.

Well, pending Emery pulling a Lalime in Round 2, of course. ;)

Evil Ted 05-03-2006 11:52 AM

he is a dynamic tallent and will be successful wherever he goes no doubt.

Beakermania* 05-03-2006 11:53 AM

Maybe i can come around on this one

Will Havlat "kick" Justin Williams butt??

Blind Gardien 05-03-2006 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beakermania
I still want a Stud first line Centre. Brad Richards anyone??

Richards and Kovalev on line one
Higgins Koivu Ryder line two

:yo:

Bah. I would rather have Crosby. Or look at what Staal just did to us. He'd look pretty good there. Richards is soooooo yesterday.

Bulis-Staal-Kovalev
Higgins-Koivu-Ryder
:yo: :yo: :yo:

Beakermania* 05-03-2006 11:57 AM

Yes but those two arent coming up as pending RFAs.

Tampa does have choices to make, they need a goalie, they have already committed a lot of money to Lecav and St.Louis, they need to resign Kubina and some other D.

It has been discussed recently on Satellite Hot Stove, there may not be enough money in Tampa for the 6+ million Richards will demand. If the offer is right he could be available.

AH 05-03-2006 11:57 AM

I say we go out and offer a max contract to Staal. Screw the Canes over.

DEATHtrap 05-03-2006 11:58 AM

I expect the sens to lose Chara, sign Redden and offer Havlat a three or four year deal. Chara is apparently looking for the maximum salary.

Rightly or wrongly the sens organization considers Emery the goaltender of the future, so trading for Aebi is unlikely.

The habs need a bit of an overhaul, but nothing too drastic. Elias would be a great signing and maybe some help at center.

MathMan 05-03-2006 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
Aebischer's $1.9M QO is more than Hasek's $1.5M salary was. I think they're trying to clear salary in goal, not add it.

Unless they're willing to go with Emery long term (and these playoffs will say a lot about whether they are) they're not going to find Hasek quality goaltending -- or even quality starting goaltending -- at 1.5M on the market.

Blind Gardien 05-03-2006 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beakermania
Yes but those two arent coming up as pending RFAs.

Tampa does have choices to make, they need a goalie, they have already committed a lot of money to Lecav and St.Louis, they need to resign Kubina and some other D.

It has been discussed recently on Satellite Hot Stove, there may not be enough money in Tampa for the 6+ million Richards will demand. If the offer is right he could be available.

Richards is not available. It's an urban myth that was put to rest long ago. The Bolts will have no real trouble keeping him, especially with the cap expected to rise. And there is tons of deadwood to start chopping there ahead of Richards even if they do decide to go after a big name goalie and put themselves back into cap trouble.

And for the record, Staal IS a restricted free agent this summer too... just about equal to Richards in availability.