HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   According to Cyberpresse... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=249124)

Prendan Brust 05-04-2006 08:03 AM

According to Cyberpresse...

Ryder was hurt for most of the season with a discal hernia. That might explain his soft play along the boards and his reluctance to play in high trafic.

Link : http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20.../5805/CPSPORTS

Matrix 05-04-2006 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baron
Ryder was hurt for most of the season with a discal hernia. That might explain his soft play along the boards and his reluctance to play in high trafic.

That means gotta keep him to see what he can do healthy and with more years of experience. I think that will end the debate now.

RYDER STAYS!!!! :yo:

417 05-04-2006 08:16 AM

This came out a few months ago I believe, someone posted as much.

Prendan Brust 05-04-2006 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 417 TO MTL
This came out a few months ago I believe, someone posted as much.

Sorry then if it's old news. Reading the Ryder bashing thread, I thought people didn't know he was playing hurt.

Capitano 05-04-2006 08:19 AM

Well then I commend Michael for his play with this injury. I am a harsh critic when it comes to Michael's play this year, but if this was in fact true then I'm willing to give him another year to prove he's a hab.

Cap

Capitano 05-04-2006 08:20 AM

Quote:

Sorry then if it's old news. Reading the Ryder bashing thread, I thought people didn't know he was playing hurt.

I didn't know - I appreciate it.

Cap

417 05-04-2006 08:20 AM

Quote:

No need tp apologize...I meant that a poster here, who I believe was from Ryder's hometown, said he had heard from Ryder's family that he hurt his back (the details are sketchy, it was a while ago).

Capitano 05-04-2006 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 417 TO MTL
No need tp apologize...I meant that a poster here, who I believe was from Ryder's hometown, said he had heard from Ryder's family that he hurt his back (the details are sketchy, it was a while ago).

Well not that I don't believe a poster here, but when it comes out in the press I do believe it a little more.

Cap

mcphee 05-04-2006 08:26 AM

Quote:

This is the first published news. All that we had heard was from one of our fine Newfoundland posters relaying some info. they had heard.

Back issues explain the step to the slot that didn't seem as powerful this year.

My thinking on Ryder is that he can do things some others can't do, he can fond dead spots on the ice behind coverage, he had a good release, can go high from in close, never underestimate these qualities. I do get the impression that he's a happy go lucky guy, who enjoys life in general. He has to be pushed a bit to develop in the NHL, the same way he pushed himself to make the NHL. I'm sure they'll find a way to get him to pay more attn. to detail in the future.

Matrix 05-04-2006 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capitano
Well not that I don't believe a poster here, but when it comes out in the press I do believe it a little more.

Cap

You mean at 110%??? ;)

Capitano 05-04-2006 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matrix
You mean at 110%??? ;)

No, those guys are like watching soap operas :)

Cap

CaptCrunch 05-04-2006 08:35 AM

Appreciated. Changes my views about Ryder's plays.

If it is true, they should have let him recuperate instead of having him playing hurt.

How much that affected his play though... I don't know.

MathMan 05-04-2006 08:39 AM

Well that explains a lot. He wasn't his usual self.

I think this gives him an extra year IMHO. 30 goals while playing injured like that is nothing to sneeze at.

Lestriker 05-04-2006 08:45 AM

If he was injured, why did he play all season long?

habfan4 05-04-2006 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Walter

Generally with back injuries you can get treatment and try to rehab while continuing to play or have surgery/rehab and be out for extended periods.

Prendan Brust 05-04-2006 08:54 AM

Quote:

According to the article I posted, he choosed to play because the team was engaged in a close playoff race.

DicAnns 05-04-2006 08:57 AM

wow! amazing courage to go out and play hockey with a discal hernia... those are a real b!tch!

Good to see it won't require surgery.

Get well soon Mikey! 40 goals next season! :yo:

RedArmyMontreal* 05-04-2006 09:02 AM

hernia?? :eek:

that thing hurts a lot... I have no clue how he played with it for so long.

mcphee 05-04-2006 09:11 AM

Quote:

because the team needed a 30 goal scorer and he needed to score and enhance his value.

oli500 05-04-2006 09:25 AM

I never understod why people were so hard on him all year. This guy is a scorer and is not one dimentional like most of you think. His injury might of slowed his two way game down a litle bit but he was still efective. If he can play healthy next year hes going to be a 40 to 45 goal scorer next year. Ryder was not the problem, the problem was that we lack a true talented centermen like a forsberg,sakic,modano,sundin to dish him the puck. Not to take anything away from koivu because I love his work ethic those two dont go togheter very well. Fore koivu to be productive he needs a kovalev type winger and fore ryder to be productive he needs a center who will take alot of attention for ryder to be able to get open in the slot and we just dont have that type of center. Thats why I wish gainey would go hard after savard or arnott. Some one that can give ryder the puck. If we want are wingers to be productive we need to upgrade are center position badly. The kovalev's and ryder of the world arent going to have monster year with ribeiro centering them. Just look at simon gagne with phillie, that guy was monster because of a certain forsberg. If he dident sign in phillie and simon was stuck with roenick gagne would of hald trouble to reach the 35 goal plateau. Clark saw how talented gagne was and providid him with a top centermen. If gainey wants his wingers like ryder and kovalev to help out the team I sugest him to get a true number one center. Bob dont trade ryder, its going to be a huge mistake and dont lissen to the fans.

goalchenyuk 05-04-2006 09:53 AM

i am happy to read that because it could explain why his play was so &%?$##* this season .

But i still have a doubt about the article because it's comming from his agent ; not that i think that it 's all false , but just that may be he makes up a little bit the facts , to give more credit to his client .( the contract of Ryder was a one year contract , no ? )

Anyway , i am still happy to know that he wasn't playing at it 100 % . Go Ryder !

jcpenny 05-04-2006 10:03 AM

This injury makes things clearer cuz Ryder just didnt look anything from his 1st year where he battled for every pucks, physical and was hard to knock of the puck. Despite all this he still managed 30 goals. The 1st year ryder looked stronger and the 2nd year looked out of shape.

MathMan 05-04-2006 10:12 AM

Now I'm REALLY looking forward to Higgins-Koivu-Ryder next year. I think a healthy Ryder will be much more of a get-in-front-of-net and board-battler type of player.

Capitano 05-04-2006 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MathMan
Now I'm REALLY looking forward to Higgins-Koivu-Ryder next year. I think a healthy Ryder will be much more of a get-in-front-of-net and board-battler type of player.

I agree, I'm looking forward to it.

Cap

fatmax 05-04-2006 10:25 AM

Quote:

I, then, retrieve any bad press I made about Ryder this year, it explain a lot why he played like that most of the year, if he can hit next year, he will be better