HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   RDS: Gillett Would Make Profit If He'd Sell The Team (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=249165)

Phil Parent 05-04-2006 11:27 AM

RDS: Gillett Would Make Profit If He'd Sell The Team

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/203546.html

Translation:

Quote:

Thursday, May 04 2006 - MONTREAL (CP) - Many financial analysts maintain that Montreal Canadiens Hockey Club owner George Gillett would pocket an important profit if he would sell the team that he bought for 181 Millions $US in 2001.

Some of the observers of weekly publication "Les Affaires" believe that a transaction today could be worth over 300 Millions $US.

Meanwhile, "Forbes" Magazine establishes the current value of the organization at 230 Millions $US but this doesn't include neither the Bell Centre nor Gillet Entertainment Group.

The cultural field, contacted by "Les Affaires" are unanimously praising the structure and stability of the Gillett Entertainment Group, which acts as an important complement to the performance of hockey activities.

Also, George Gillett can be given credit for buying the Canadiens at a time where it didn't attract investors. Resulting of the lock-out that paralyzed the league for a year, Mr. Gillett's company has taken its share of the 400 Millions $US that went from the hands of the players to that of the owners.

In 2001, Mr. Gillett had only personally invested 50 Millions $US to buy the Canadiens. He had financed the transaction via indebting rather than by investment; the Caisse De Depot & Placement Du Quebec and two banks having loaned him near 140 Millions $CAN.
Rene Angelil & Celine are probably ready to buy it now...

Capitano 05-04-2006 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Parent

Translation:

I think that would be pretty cool no?

Cap

Habsruleen 05-04-2006 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capitano

Cap

As long as she doesn't sing the anthems, I'm down.

felixd 05-04-2006 11:30 AM

Quote:

Cap

I remember when they were rumored to buy it...Angélil is apparently close friends with Bergeron and wanted to hand the team over to him. I'd rather have owners that don't meddle with team management.

Shabutie 05-04-2006 11:32 AM

Are they really that rich?

RC51 05-04-2006 11:37 AM

I don't want him to sell the team.

Where do you find owners that just signs the cheques, loves the team, and NEVER meddles.

I don't care if he makes a ton of money, if he continues to be the perfect owner.

davey999 05-04-2006 11:37 AM

Quote:

Translation:

I'm shocked...

Capitano 05-04-2006 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shabutie
Are they really that rich?

Are you kidding? Celine gets like 75 million per season at Vegas...

Cap

Beakermania* 05-04-2006 11:40 AM

Quote:

Cap

HELLLLL no!!

Phil Parent 05-04-2006 11:41 AM

Yeah it would be cool. And they're billionaires, too. Gillett is pocket change for Rene & Celine.

Angelil's whole life has been about seeking this adulation and glamour. As a young man, he was a part of a boy band that became the most popular in the province, beating the Beatles. Then came Celine who he took from pre-puberty Christmas album singer to teen idol to world-recognized diva. The Habs have unquestionned adulation and glamour. And certainly, Angelil is no effin "We'll do our best..." thinker. He wants to win and succeed.

As far as anthems goes...come on, Celine is way above that. They've built a showroom especially for her in Vegas for Rocket's sake!

No no no, Marilou would sing the anthems.

http://www.mariloumusique.com/actualites.cgi

Rene's new project, which went through pretty much the same path than Celine...Child Idol, now she's a Teen Idol....then she'll be Celine #2. Foreigners, look at that pretty face and remember it. She's the next export we have for ya!

Bill McNeal 05-04-2006 11:46 AM

I fear the Titanic jokes every time the Habs bow out of the playoffs.

Habs 4 Life 05-04-2006 11:46 AM

Fuc$ Celine and Renee!Too bad they had the chance to do it a few years ago now too bad!

Mr.Gillett is a great guy and really loves the Habs and the city of Montreal.I had the chance too speak to him a few times and he really wants too build a winning team here.He said he wanted to buy a sport franchise and decided to buy the Habs out of a few NBA and NFL teams.(great choice).He just wants too settle the deal with the goverment of the taxes of 12 million per year and then bingo the Habs will never ever ever again be a 7 or 8th place team

Qui Gon Dave 05-04-2006 11:47 AM

Any potential new owner has one criteria to meet in my mind even before i know how they would be involved in the team. Would they arrange to have their private jet sterilized so one of the players on the team could get home safely while seriously ill to spend time with his family? We know the guy who owns the team would and I would hope that any future potential owner would be willing to take just as good care of each and every one of the teams players.

Phil Parent 05-04-2006 11:49 AM

Rene & Celine are known as generous folks.

Phil Parent 05-04-2006 11:51 AM

And Celine was the Rocket's favourite singer.

And "S'il Suffisait D'Aimer" was his favourite song. He recognized himself in some of the lyrics.

So there.

Shabutie 05-04-2006 12:07 PM

Quote:

Are you kidding? Celine gets like 75 million per season at Vegas...

Cap

Wow, that's some crazy Dough. I'd prefer she doesn't own the Team (Unless of course they're willing to spend the cap limit). Canada is already ridiculed cuz of Celine, don't make it the canadiens.

Phil Parent 05-04-2006 12:10 PM

Canada is ridiculed by the yankees because Celine beats all their singers in sales and because she has some spirit that their artificial bimbos don't have. It's called jealousy.

Britney Spears puts her entire trust in George W. Bush, she said so. Celine wants to send Canoes to New Orleans. Difference.

felixd 05-04-2006 12:13 PM

Quote:

Britney Spears puts her entire trust in George W. Bush, she said so. Celine wants to send Canoes to New Orleans. Difference.

Yeah. Britney is hotter

Toro 05-04-2006 12:13 PM

well as cool as it would be to have celine own the team :amazed:

i really have liked gillette. He has brought back stability and an owner that knows how much to get involved, and how much not too. He has said that he wants to build a winner here so i say let him. I don't believe he wants to sell the team. I think that just because the team is worth more now, he wont sell. He is a good owner like detroits owner. You have to tell the montreal press to stop with the stupid rumors and embrace gillette. Don't piss the guy off and run him out of town. He has embraced the Canadiens in our time of need back when he purchased it. And has followed it up with superb ownership. Turning the canadiens around into a contender.

Not to mention getting gainey :bow: back and now carbonneau and maybe muller :handclap: , i can't wait till the draft and next season :banghead:

Shabutie 05-04-2006 12:14 PM

Quote:

Canada is ridiculed by the yankees because Celine beats all their singers in sales and because she has some spirit that their artificial bimbos don't have. It's called jealousy.

I'm only kidding... I'd rather the team is owned by Canadians. And if they'd be willing to spend the max on the CAP, that'd further my liking. Can you imagine BG going to Celine to ask for money? She'd be all smilly, and he'd be all BG.

Phil Parent 05-04-2006 12:17 PM

Good point, Shab, I can a three way convo.

BG: (In typical monotone voice) "Okay, so we need 6 millions to sign this guy..."

CD: (In typical excited tone) "Is he good? Can I have his autograph?"

RA: (In typical throaty, business tone) "6 Millions? Celine, go in the piggy bank and get 10 Millions for Mr. Gainey. So, does the guy like to play cards?"

Bronn 05-04-2006 12:19 PM

I think that the best move for Gillet and the organisation would be to sell the team to an experienced and trustful buisness men like Jeffrey Loria.Then he should put David Samson as the President/GM of the club and you can be sure that we have a winner.

Look at what he did with the Marlins : From zeros to world champions !!!!! :eek:

Phil Parent 05-04-2006 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Symbolic
I think that the best move for Gillet and the organisation would be to sell the team to an experienced and trustful buisness men like Jeffrey Loria.Then he should put David Samson as the President/GM of the club and you can be sure that we have a winner.

Look at what he did with the Marlins : From zeros to world champions !!!!! :eek:

I'm seriously going to hit you.

Shabutie 05-04-2006 12:22 PM

Too bad Tiger Woods has no interest :(

sXe 05-04-2006 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RC51
I don't want him to sell the team.

Where do you find owners that just signs the cheques, loves the team, and NEVER meddles.

I don't care if he makes a ton of money, if he continues to be the perfect owner.

I care. GG has shown he's willing to spend so the more money he has the better the team potentially.