HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Kovalev (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=249506)

francklem 05-05-2006 12:26 PM

Kovalev
 
I know that he was drafted as a center , could he still play at this position ?

Kovalev and Koivu as the 2 first center of the team could be ok if he still can play center

Plekanek Kovalev Ryder

Higgins Koivu Perez

That way we could get a good defenseman in the UFA

What do you think ?

Shabutie 05-05-2006 12:46 PM

Ryder would be used on the LW before Kovalev would be used as a center (imo).

Habsfan 32 05-05-2006 12:51 PM

I'd like to see the coaches try it for a couple of games.

CalHabFan 05-05-2006 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habsfan 32
I'd like to see the coaches try it for a couple of games.

I think there is already a thread about this, but, yes, let's give it a shot.
I would still want a dedicated center on his line but he could move to center in case of injuries :dunno:

justicex 05-05-2006 02:05 PM

Plek is a pretty awesome center, and a great guys for the 2nd or third line. Why would you put him on wing? He is energic, but can he really win most of the battles around the boards?

znk 05-05-2006 02:05 PM

Kovalev dosent backcheck enough to be a center.

CalHabFan 05-05-2006 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by znk
Kovalev dosent backcheck enough to be a center.

Maybe he'd backcheck if he was playing center instead of wing :dunno:

BeechieFanInPitt24 05-05-2006 02:20 PM

This is a bad idea. The Penguins tried this and it failed. Keep him as a winger.

TheDamned 05-05-2006 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by znk
Kovalev dosent backcheck enough to be a center.


Eeek, not this season, he was almost always the first offense guy back. Check the tapes.

CalHabFan 05-05-2006 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeechieFanInPitt28
This is a bad idea. The Penguins tried this and it failed. Keep him as a winger.

Well...
Now we know.

CareyPrice x 31 05-05-2006 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justicex
Plek is a pretty awesome center, and a great guys for the 2nd or third line. Why would you put him on wing? He is energic, but can he really win most of the battles around the boards?


nothing against Plekanec cuz i think he's awsome, but on any other playoff team, he's no higher then a 3rd line center. I dont think he's that good to be 1st or 2nd line center. Ppl tend to forget we really lack good centermen

Habsaku 05-05-2006 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaydee96
nothing against Plekanec cuz i think he's awsome, but on any other playoff team, he's no higher then a 3rd line center. I dont think he's that good to be 1st or 2nd line center. Ppl tend to forget we really lack good centermen

Of course rookie Plekanec is a third line center on a playoff team(which he was with us), but you dont know how he'll developp. I wouldnt be surprised if he doubled his totals next year.

ti-vite 05-05-2006 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CalHabFan
Well...
Now we know.

and knowing is half the battle...

Mike8 05-05-2006 03:16 PM

It's an interesting thought.

I think Kovalev's style is better suited for a winger though. The way he likes setting up on the sideboards, and the fact that he's prone to trying low percentage plays ... better to be a winger when you're doing that.

Also, Kovalev's more dangerous if he's able to lurk in and out of the play; coming out of nowhere to generate a chance. As a center he'd have more responsibilities which would eliminate this aspect of his game, and limit his creativity.

TheDamned 05-05-2006 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike8
It's an interesting thought.

I think Kovalev's style is better suited for a winger though. The way he likes setting up on the sideboards, and the fact that he's prone to trying low percentage plays ... better to be a winger when you're doing that.

Also, Kovalev's more dangerous if he's able to lurk in and out of the play; coming out of nowhere to generate a chance. As a center he'd have more responsibilities which would eliminate this aspect of his game, and limit his creativity.


Good post.

francklem 05-05-2006 04:17 PM

Yes Mike8 good point

MissNY 05-05-2006 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike8
It's an interesting thought.

I think Kovalev's style is better suited for a winger though. The way he likes setting up on the sideboards, and the fact that he's prone to trying low percentage plays ... better to be a winger when you're doing that.

Also, Kovalev's more dangerous if he's able to lurk in and out of the play; coming out of nowhere to generate a chance. As a center he'd have more responsibilities which would eliminate this aspect of his game, and limit his creativity.

You have a good point, but as he gets older it may not be a bad idea to try. He was a center in the Rangers' 1994 Stanley Cup season and he was incredible. (And yes, I've watched some of the playoff games from that season out of nostalgia.) I don't know why he didn't do well in that position in Pittsburgh. Even though Kovalev is a creative skill player, he's also very, very strong. It may help him have a more physical game as he's older. :dunno:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:31 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.