HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   OHL (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   Steven Stamkos # 1 Pick 2006 OHL Entry Draft (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=249514)

ktownhockey 05-05-2006 01:12 PM

Steven Stamkos # 1 Pick 2006 OHL Entry Draft

The Sarnia Sting selected Steven Stamkos first overall in this years OHL priority selection.

He is a dynamic skater with excellent hands and vision. He's going to be a top scorer in this year in a few years. Congrats!

:bow:

http://www.sarniasting.com/news.asp?storyid=459

The rest of the draft will begin tomorrow(Saturday) morning at 9am via the web at www.ontariohockeyleague.com

enjoy and the best of luck to all those who are eligible for this years draft. Enjoy your moment kids. :handclap:

jwalk 05-05-2006 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktownhockey
The Sarnia Sting selected Steven Stamkos first overall in this years OHL priority selection.

He is a dynamic skater with excellent hands and vision. He's going to be a top scorer in this year in a few years. Congrats!

The rest of the draft will begin tomorrow(Saturday) morning at 9am via the web at www.ontariohockeyleague.com

enjoy and the best of luck to all those who are eligible for this years draft. Enjoy your moment kids. :handclap:

Glad to see that he didn't try and short circuit the process and a team like the Sting picked up a real serious talent. So what do you think ktown is Del Zotto a lock for the Gennies ?
Millar from the Sting recently quoted a real interesting stat relating to how you go about building a team in the OHA. FRom the kids drafted from 1999 to 2002- Peterborough got about 3100 games from there picks, London got approx. 2800,and Guelph got approx. 2800. On the other end of the spectrum Mississauga got about 1600,and Sarnia got around 1800. He thinks that 15 to 17 players on the roster should be kids developed thru thesystem . The teams with the itchy trigger fingers didn't fare anywhere near as well.

ktownhockey 05-05-2006 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwalk
Glad to see that he didn't try and short circuit the process and a team like the Sting picked up a real serious talent. So what do you think ktown is Del Zotto a lock for the Gennies ?
Millar from the Sting recently quoted a real interesting stat relating to how you go about building a team in the OHA. FRom the kids drafted from 1999 to 2002- Peterborough got about 3100 games from there picks, London got approx. 2800,and Guelph got approx. 2800. On the other end of the spectrum Mississauga got about 1600,and Sarnia got around 1800. He thinks that 15 to 17 players on the roster should be kids developed thru thesystem . The teams with the itchy trigger fingers didn't fare anywhere near as well.

I think Del Zotto is Oshawa's pick he's got too much potential and he can step in and QB their PP immediately... he's awesome... Pietrangelo third or Hodgson Mcrae fifth to the Greyhounds.... count it

STS44 05-05-2006 04:41 PM

Worked good for both Sarnia and Oshawa. Sarnia needs the offense so Stamko is a great fit - Same for Del Zotto in Oshawa. They need a good quality d'man and he can mature with Tavares and Mitchell to form the bedrock of one hell of a team in a year or two.

ReLyT 05-05-2006 05:05 PM

Im glad it unfolded this way but it wouldv'e been awsome to see a Clutterbuck - Tavarse - Stamkos line...

jwalk 05-05-2006 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReLyT
Im glad it unfolded this way but it wouldv'e been awsome to see a Clutterbuck - Tavarse - Stamkos line...

I'm surprised that the Majors would ever trade Clutterbuck cos he's a machine, but the Donati twins were awfully tempting bait.

jwalk 05-20-2006 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktownhockey

I certainly agree ktown that this kid may may be a top scorer in the league after watching him perform in the Sting mini camp. They divided the team in 2 and his squad won 11-5,and he got 9 points. He's definitely one of those players that is the straw that stirs the drink.

jwalk 05-20-2006 07:05 PM

Hey Ry Dogg

Ry Dogg - A few tidbits for you after attending the Sting mini camp.( I don't believe anyone else here really gives a ***** about the team so I'll direct this at you - LOL) As previously mentioned it appears that Stamkos will live up to his advanced billing. The kid is an offensive machine. When he was on the ice with Katic and Gomes it was like they were on the powerplay- like I said even tho it was a split squad game 9 points ain't bad by anyones standards.
Other kids that looked good were Connor McFarlane,the goalie Di Salvo looked great,as well as the 5th round pick Chase Clarke.
Kyle Tront looked really good also,and was all over the ice,and appears to be fully recovered from the broken leg.
Gomes was also really impressive - he was playing wing with Stamkos ,and these guys clicked immediately. He had about 6 points. I've never seen him fly like he did today.
Katic also looked great- and he and Stamkos will be amazing on the pp.
THere will be some announcements June 1 regarding some aquisitions. When they traded the 2nd rounder to Belleville they got 2 extra players in the deal. (One likely a goalie.). Also there's been a deal with Oshawa that will be announced.
It's been a tough couple of years (and we've had to put up with a lot of crap),but our time is drawing near.

Default101 05-21-2006 10:03 AM

Quote:

Ry Dogg - A few tidbits for you after attending the Sting mini camp.( I don't believe anyone else here really gives a ***** about the team so I'll direct this at you - LOL) As previously mentioned it appears that Stamkos will live up to his advanced billing. The kid is an offensive machine. When he was on the ice with Katic and Gomes it was like they were on the powerplay- like I said even tho it was a split squad game 9 points ain't bad by anyones standards.
Other kids that looked good were Connor McFarlane,the goalie Di Salvo looked great,as well as the 5th round pick Chase Clarke.
Kyle Tront looked really good also,and was all over the ice,and appears to be fully recovered from the broken leg.
Gomes was also really impressive - he was playing wing with Stamkos ,and these guys clicked immediately. He had about 6 points. I've never seen him fly like he did today.
Katic also looked great- and he and Stamkos will be amazing on the pp.
THere will be some announcements June 1 regarding some aquisitions. When they traded the 2nd rounder to Belleville they got 2 extra players in the deal. (One likely a goalie.). Also there's been a deal with Oshawa that will be announced.
It's been a tough couple of years (and we've had to put up with a lot of crap),but our time is drawing near.

lol thanks, i was in Sarnia last weekend i was hoping the mini camp would have been then, but oh well, yea last year when he broke his leg he spent alot of his time up where my dad was sitting, he has seasons tickets so when Tront was returned during the season he watched him closely, when he was on the ice i guess he still looked like he had a broken leg and wasn't skating as good as he's capable of, so it's good to hear he's recovered, i heard McFarlane was supposed to be good, and should make the team next year, thanks for the info on the rookie camp, i'm moving back to sarnia for a year, i might just have to make it 3 so i can make sure i watch sarnia dominate the OHL, thanks for the info jwalk

jwalk 05-22-2006 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ry-Dogg
lol thanks, i was in Sarnia last weekend i was hoping the mini camp would have been then, but oh well, yea last year when he broke his leg he spent alot of his time up where my dad was sitting, he has seasons tickets so when Tront was returned during the season he watched him closely, when he was on the ice i guess he still looked like he had a broken leg and wasn't skating as good as he's capable of, so it's good to hear he's recovered, i heard McFarlane was supposed to be good, and should make the team next year, thanks for the info on the rookie camp, i'm moving back to sarnia for a year, i might just have to make it 3 so i can make sure i watch sarnia dominate the OHL, thanks for the info jwalk

No problem . Stamkos is going to add a whole new dynamic to this team. THe Sting must've lost 20 games (or more) by one goal. When this guy gets on the ice things happen . I'd love to see Tront play on the same line.

jwalk 05-22-2006 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ry-Dogg

No problem . Stamkos is going to add a whole new dynamic to this team. THe Sting must've lost 20 games (or more) by one goal. When this guy gets on the ice things happen . I'd love to see Tront play on the same line,with Stamkos,and Gomes.

Default101 05-25-2006 01:30 PM

Quote:

No problem . Stamkos is going to add a whole new dynamic to this team. THe Sting must've lost 20 games (or more) by one goal. When this guy gets on the ice things happen . I'd love to see Tront play on the same line,with Stamkos,and Gomes.

Painchaud/Pospisil - McInerny - Mashinter would be a great line as well. i think that line would work great,
Clune - Anger - Painchaud/Pospisil would be the other, thats almost like 3 top lines right there.