HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Ryder is a keeper (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=249718)

Archijerej 05-06-2006 10:09 AM

Ryder is a keeper

Sorry, if it's been already posted but apparently Ryder has been playing injured for the good chunk of the season and in the playoffs. Here's the link: http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20.../5805/CPSPORTS

Now, I think there are several reasons to keep this kid:

- he's our only sniper and scored 55 goals and 118 points in two seasons. You can't ignore that.

- as long as he keeps his feet moving and gets involved physically his assets overmach his shortcomings.

-considering his injury and that he did not tell anybody about it and wanted to play we can assume that he's a tough kid. Wich he showed in his rookie year. Trading him now, before seeing what Guy Carbonneau can get out of him in terms of physicall play and getting involved on the forecheck would not only be unwise but also against the team philosophy of getting the best out of homegrown talent. This smells John LeClair #2 for me.

- snipers like Ryder are extremely valuable, because they can get you a goal in situations when other player would have not scored. See Michael's winning goal in game 2 against the Canes. Imagine Bulis or Perezhogin recieving that pass from Higgins. Right into goalie's chest.

Sorry for my english.

Habsaku 05-06-2006 10:12 AM

Definetly! His last playoff game he was the Ryder of old and easily the best forward on the team. I'm convinced that with a training camp, the end of the sophomore slump and a healthy body, he'll come back even stronger then his rookie year. He sucked and he still got 31 goals, if he gets back to his healthy game, crashing the net and passing well, he'll be a great forward for us. I cant wait to see Higgins and Ryder with Koivu again.

By the way, can someone kill Pierre Rinfret.

Teufelsdreck 05-06-2006 10:16 AM

Some silly posters on this forum compared Ryder to Dagenais!

Evil Ted 05-06-2006 10:33 AM

Ryder needs another year before we can determine if he is a keeper, he still is a risk to sign to a long term money deal.

Stan 05-06-2006 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habsaku
Definetly! His last playoff game he was the Ryder of old and easily the best forward on the team. I'm convinced that with a training camp, the end of the sophomore slump and a healthy body, he'll come back even stronger then his rookie year. He sucked and he still got 31 goals, if he gets back to his healthy game, crashing the net and passing well, he'll be a great forward for us. I cant wait to see Higgins and Ryder with Koivu again.

By the way, can someone kill Pierre Rinfret.

I agree that Ryder was great when the games got tough. HE really did put it in another gear. The injury explains a lot. I agree... keeper for sure. I think it's the perfect time to sign him long term. He can ony get better, and even if he doesn't play like we think he can, he'll still have a ton of value.

Habs 4 Life 05-06-2006 11:46 AM

Ryder is a solid 2nd line player and I don't see why the Habs would wanna get rid of him.A pure goal scorer and im sure Carbo will work on his defence of game.Ryder stays with Saku and Higgins.Kovalev needs a #1 centerman

tchendoh 05-06-2006 12:09 PM

Ryder really sucked this year, he lost his shot in the slot that was so great and only got his garbage goals in open net on 5 on 3's. (ok not all of them)

But if he was injured all year, we can't afford to not let him another year to let us know what he can do.

znk 05-06-2006 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck

Well maybe an injured Ryder looks strangely like a healthy Dagenais.:dunno:

Un HabitHuet* 05-06-2006 12:44 PM

He's not a keeper, he's a winger.

I don't know how you can possibly get the two mixed up.

Habs13 05-06-2006 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Un HabitHuet
He's not a keeper, he's a winger.

I don't know how you can possibly get the two mixed up.

:snide: :biglaugh:

Crusher20 05-06-2006 08:10 PM

it would have explain why during most season he didnt cut in the slot to take his shot.. like he used to do in his rookie year. if this story isnt exagerated (afterall it is his agent that come with this story) he should be pretty good next season.

tinyzombies 05-06-2006 09:00 PM

He's pretty much our only proven scorer at this point, no kidding he'll be back. You want to let him go? He'd be in a Leafs jersey scoring on us before you could blink.

Slick Nick 05-06-2006 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tchendoh
Ryder really sucked this year, he lost his shot in the slot that was so great and only got his garbage goals in open net on 5 on 3's. (ok not all of them)

But if he was injured all year, we can't afford to not let him another year to let us know what he can do.

Yup. Scoring goals is not the only thing in hockey. And yes, Dagenais could probably score 30 in a year if used on the first line and on every PP and 5 on 3.

Capitano 05-07-2006 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck

Well if you look at his play this year it wasn't very good. Yes he did score 30 but he left a lot to be desired with other facets of the game.

Like I said before, I was tough on him this year but didn't realize he played in pain so I'm willing to give him another year to convince me he's the real deal.

Cap

KOMO_ROCKS 05-07-2006 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capitano
Well if you look at his play this year it wasn't very good. Yes he did score 30 but he left a lot to be desired with other facets of the game.

Like I said before, I was tough on him this year but didn't realize he played in pain so I'm willing to give him another year to convince me he's the real deal.

Cap

I am with you here.

Teufelsdreck 05-07-2006 02:20 AM

Quote:

Cap

No matter how badly he played at times, he didn't descend to the average level of Dagenais. The only thing Dagenais did better was to score on shootouts.

Teufelsdreck 05-07-2006 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slick Nick
Yup. Scoring goals is not the only thing in hockey. And yes, Dagenais could probably score 30 in a year if used on the first line and on every PP and 5 on 3.

In a pig's eye he could score 30! When was up with the Habs early in the season and never got untracked. This is the new NHL, and Dagenais can't skate. He hasm't even looked good withj the Bulldogs.

Reiher 05-07-2006 03:38 AM

I don't understand how you guys can be criticizing a player, the only hab player to score over 30 goals. I mean even to me he doesn't look all that flashy and his goals aren't exactly super brilliant but he gets them in. Without Ryder this year I think we would of lost a lot more games then you realize, afterall about half our games where within one goal, and a significant amount of them where 3-2 final scores. So you take into account how many games we would of lost taking away those 30+ goals ryder scored and you make out the difference, I think we might not have made the playoffs, now putting that aside. Defensively he needs some work, but guys he's a young player, I mean he's got many years of hockey ahead of him, we trade him and he'll be haunting us later such as the name Beauchemin comes up often on the board these days. Ryder is a solid player that scores goals, the lil annoyances in his defensive play are things that can be worked.

Capitano 05-07-2006 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reiher
I don't understand how you guys can be criticizing a player, the only hab player to score over 30 goals. I mean even to me he doesn't look all that flashy and his goals aren't exactly super brilliant but he gets them in. Without Ryder this year I think we would of lost a lot more games then you realize, afterall about half our games where within one goal, and a significant amount of them where 3-2 final scores. So you take into account how many games we would of lost taking away those 30+ goals ryder scored and you make out the difference, I think we might not have made the playoffs, now putting that aside. Defensively he needs some work, but guys he's a young player, I mean he's got many years of hockey ahead of him, we trade him and he'll be haunting us later such as the name Beauchemin comes up often on the board these days. Ryder is a solid player that scores goals, the lil annoyances in his defensive play are things that can be worked.

It's not all about scoring goals. You have to be responsible defensively if you play a team game and if you are not defensively responsible teams will take advantage of that.

I absolve Ryder because he played injuried, but his all-around play DEFINITELY needs work or I do believe he hurts his line more than he helps. As I said I am going to forget this year because he was hurt and wasn't the same player that we saw in his rookie year.

Time will tell for me I guess. And sure he scores 30 goals but like I said it's not all about scoring goals. You have to be accountable when you're on the ice. If everybody else is accoutable for being defensive then Ryder has to as well. I watch Kovalev and he backchecks way more with us than I have ever seen him do in his career. Like Gainey said - if you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem.

Again, time will tell.

Cap

HH 05-07-2006 09:48 AM

I still feel Ryder isn't there yet in terms of talent he needs to be more regular in scoring goals and not having 15-20 games slump like he had this year, and he scored 30 non the less so if he could be more regular he could be a future 45-50 goal scorer.

Hackett 05-07-2006 10:16 AM

Ryder isn't going anywhere for years to come

oli500 05-07-2006 10:41 AM

Quote:

It's not all about scoring goals. You have to be responsible defensively if you play a team game and if you are not defensively responsible teams will take advantage of that.

I absolve Ryder because he played injuried, but his all-around play DEFINITELY needs work or I do believe he hurts his line more than he helps. As I said I am going to forget this year because he was hurt and wasn't the same player that we saw in his rookie year.

Time will tell for me I guess. And sure he scores 30 goals but like I said it's not all about scoring goals. You have to be accountable when you're on the ice. If everybody else is accoutable for being defensive then Ryder has to as well. I watch Kovalev and he backchecks way more with us than I have ever seen him do in his career. Like Gainey said - if you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem.

Again, time will tell.

Cap

The one thing that bothers me is when people compare him to dagenais. ryder is no dagenais. We all now ryder is no perfect player but he posesis alot of great qualities that so many nhlers dont have wich is a lethal shot. If theres one thing you cant take away from ryder is his work ethic, he works hard during practise and gives everything hes got in game, hes had to all his life. He dident become an nhler because of his name or reputation and people forget that. Ryder was treated unfair by the fans. If ryder was as bad as most fans seem to think he wouldent of played him on the top line all this time. Gainey and carbo did not mess urond with the slackers this year, if you look at every one that was sat, bulis,zednik,ribeiro,sundstrom,perezhogin,dagenais . Its ovious that ryder had to do something right to not fall in gaineys doghouse like so many did but yet fans dont realise that. Ryder help this team alot more than hurt it. If we dident have ryder's 30 goals we wouldent even of made the playoffs.

RC51 05-07-2006 10:53 AM

Sure Ryder is a keeper but lets get it straight,.

Ryder is a shooter, knows where to be to get that all important pass.
Works hard to get there and HITS THE NET. These are great qualities.

What he does not have is good stickhandleing skills or creative vision. He needs a good center to feed him.

He will stay on line 1 0r 2 UNTIL the Habs get the Ryder qualities AND with a better skills and creativity. That's it and the way it should be.

If the Habs get to be a top club, it is sure that Ryder will be on the 3rd line ( making that line even better ) because the Habs have 2 top wingers on both the 1st and 2nd line.

That's what everyone should hope for.