HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   A question about Latendresse (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=249814)

RC51 05-06-2006 05:21 PM

A question about Latendresse

He is due to stay one more year in the Q.

Can Gainey sign him now at the league minimum with a two way contract and then send him to Hamilton next year?

I don't think he has much more to learn in the Q,

Fast-track him one year?

VanNistelrooy 05-06-2006 05:26 PM

A 19 years old player can't play in the AHL if he play one single second in CHL.

La Grosse Tendresse 05-06-2006 05:26 PM

A CHL player cannot play in the AHL if he is under 20, unless his CHL's team season is over.

So no, Latendresse can only play either in the NHL or in the QMJHL next season.

Only exception is that he can play less than 10 games in the NHL before being sent down. He cannot stay up more than 10 games at the beggining of the season, and can't be recalled until his team is out of the playoffs.

RC51 05-06-2006 05:36 PM

Why can't Gainey pull a fast one like Lou Lamarello.
What Lou did to Malakov is NOT LEGAL

Jeffrey 05-06-2006 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RC51

pfff he still have his salary that count on his salary cap next year !

Form and Substance 05-06-2006 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VanNistelrooy
A 19 years old player can't play in the NHL if he play one single second in CHL.

He can play in the NHL not the AHL.

Evil Ted 05-06-2006 06:22 PM

I dont think hes ready for the AHL he got benched at the wjc, another crack at them would be good for his development.

VanNistelrooy 05-06-2006 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leachmeister2000
He can play in the NHL not the AHL.

I meant AHL.

Just edited.

La Grosse Tendresse 05-06-2006 07:12 PM

Quote:

Malakhov retired. He had a choice between retiring or being sent to Albany with Mogilny and McGillis. There's nothing illegal there.

montreal 05-06-2006 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WEEB
Malakhov retired. He had a choice between retiring or being sent to Albany with Mogilny and McGillis. There's nothing illegal there.

correct, but the poster must have mixed it up cause the story at tsn was something illegal in regards to Suglobov, since I didn't read the story I don't know what it was or if he really did do something illegal or not.

znk 05-06-2006 07:23 PM

From all the inconsistency he's shown last year I think he still has quite alot to learn in the Q.

znk 05-06-2006 07:30 PM

Quote:

It was legal and Malakov's contracts will count against the cap next year. I dont remember the exact rule but it's for players 35+ or something who retire with years left on their contracts.

Hackett 05-06-2006 11:41 PM

Has a Gainey organization ever fast tracked a player to the NHL straight from the CHL?

I cant think of anyone.

I'm a big supporter of players going to the AHL at least for one year before making it to the NHL. Of course, there is the rare exception like crosby.

Kids need to mature their defensive skills and learn how to play against men instead of boys. Kids get to learn how to handle themselves like a pro. Kids have to learn when its better to get the puck in deep rather than risking yourself to a potentially long shift. Kids need to adapt to the faster pace of pro hockey

I think these intangibles are very important to Gainey and there is no better place to hone these skills than in the AHL.

Of course, there are people who need more time in the AHL than other players. Although Chiphura is far less talented than Gui, Chip is far more NHL ready with his maturity skills. A guy like chip may only need one year in the AHL whereas Gui may need 2 years or so. Its all up to how fast Gui is willing to pick up all the little skills it takes to become a full time NHL player.