HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Report Card 10/03 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=25025)

Takeo 11-02-2003 08:17 PM

Report Card 10/03

Sabres October Report Card (6-5-0-0)

FORWARDS: A-
Drury's leadership and Pyatt's (6 G) development big bright spots. AHLers (Taylor, Botterill, Pittis) made valuable contributions. Verdict still out on Max.

DEFENSE: C+
Unit as a whole overcame slow/soft start. Zhitnik has returned to #1 d-man form. Emergence of Fitzpatrick (+7) offset by disappointing start for Tallinder and Kalinin. Patrick is a rock...or fossil, but you get the point.

SPECIAL TEAMS: C+
Powerplay (11th NHL) has been above average despite Delmore's (0 points) ineffectiveness. Penalty killing (22nd NHL) should be better.

GOALTENDING: B+
Miller lost starting job early by no fault of his own. Marty (2.21 GAA, .924 SV%) has been strong and close to consistent overall. Mika avoided characteristic slow start with early shutout.

COACHING: B
Lindy deserves props for surviving the West Coast tilt as well as for penning the Pyatt/Drury/Briere in the Marriott. Rotating the "C" is debatable.

eSabre 11-03-2003 01:13 PM

Great synopsis. Lindy does deserve kudos for turning this team around and finding line combos that will click... especially with half of Buffalo yelling to get him out of town...

BG43 11-03-2003 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTL
Can you really blame half of Buffalo for wanting him out of town??? I don't know how old you are but this team was always going to the playoffs when I was a kid and teenager...this crap the last few years is unacceptable.

Then you were spoiled and very lucky to be a fan at that time

Some people aren't as lucky and have to deal with the bad times.. things can't always be good.. teams that were once good aren't anymore and vice versa.. suck it up

Losing sucks.. but whining about losing is even worse

djhn579 11-03-2003 04:18 PM

When a team plays the first half of a season with little emotion and puts themselves out of playoff contention as the Sabres have the last two years, and looked like they were about to do this year, that is a problem with coaching and leadership.

As a fan, I don't expect my team to be the best every year, but I do expect them to be competetive. Again, that is coaching and leadership. You can say that we haven't had the talent to win the last two seasons, but in both seasons they wen't through periods at the end of the season where they looked like they could beat anybody.

The coaches job isn't easy, but he has to find a way to get the players to play the style that best suits the teams strengths, he has to teach them to be better players, and he has to get the to focus. Ruff was given a pass last year because of all the ownership issues going on, but what about the lack of focus at the start of the year before? What about the lack of focus that we saw in the first few games this season?

I think the change this year has more to do with Drury than the Ruff's coaching, but the teams winning and I'm happy. If the team starts losing again, I'll be whining again. That's my right as a fan and I would rather give an honest assesment of a situation (even if I'm wrong once in a while...) than be a chearleader and pretend everything is okay.

WhoIsJimBob 11-04-2003 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTL
You are probably too young but their was this great football coach(Vince Lombardi) that once said winning isn't everything it is the only thing. I guess I am more like Chris Drury and you are more like Tim Connolly. Losing isn't acceptable. Tell Colorado or Detroit that there is some sort of winning/losing cycle and see how far that floats.

Colorado wouldn't be winning now if the franchise hadn't gone through the lean years in Quebec.

And the Wings wouldn't have their nucleus if they hadn't gone through some tough times as well.

Ottawa is another team that had down times, but built their core through the draft.

And Tampa Bay had tough times and have broken through.

I'm not saying that I'm happy the way the last two years went, but it's understandable given the issues that the team has had to deal with entering the last two years.

First it was losing the franchise goalie that the team was built around and finally dealing away Peca.

And then last year it was the whole owners in handcuffs and the team in bankruptcy issues.

Plus, unless Sabre fans are willing to pay for tickets that are priced like those in cities like Detroit, Dallas, and Colorado, then I don't know how they can reasonably expect those kinds of results.

You get what you pay for in this world. You can't expect to pay $15,000 and get a brand new Mercedes Benz.

LALALALALALAFONTAINE 11-04-2003 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djhn579
When a team plays the first half of a season with little emotion and puts themselves out of playoff contention as the Sabres have the last two years, and looked like they were about to do this year, that is a problem with coaching and leadership.

As a fan, I don't expect my team to be the best every year, but I do expect them to be competetive. Again, that is coaching and leadership. You can say that we haven't had the talent to win the last two seasons, but in both seasons they wen't through periods at the end of the season where they looked like they could beat anybody.

The coaches job isn't easy, but he has to find a way to get the players to play the style that best suits the teams strengths, he has to teach them to be better players, and he has to get the to focus. Ruff was given a pass last year because of all the ownership issues going on, but what about the lack of focus at the start of the year before? What about the lack of focus that we saw in the first few games this season?

I think the change this year has more to do with Drury than the Ruff's coaching, but the teams winning and I'm happy. If the team starts losing again, I'll be whining again. That's my right as a fan and I would rather give an honest assesment of a situation (even if I'm wrong once in a while...) than be a chearleader and pretend everything is okay.

Got it. If we win, it's the players' fault. If we lose, it's Ruff's. That's not an honest assessment, that's a biased assessment.

WhoIsJimBob 11-04-2003 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTL
In the real world you are correct in the sports world you are wrong. It is up to the front office to correctly manage the assets and I don't think Darcy has done a good job of it.

I can see if fans want to compare the Sabres to the Oilers. But beyond that there are few teams that have had the financial issues that the Sabres have had to deal with, went 16 years between top 5 overall draft picks, and have had more success recently.

And right now I like where the Sabres are going more than where the Oilers are headed.

BG43 11-04-2003 06:30 AM

Why do I always find myself agreeing with Jim Bob?

Damn, buddy.. I couldn't agree more AGAIN..

djhn579 11-04-2003 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LALALALALALAFONTAINE
Got it. If we win, it's the players' fault. If we lose, it's Ruff's. That's not an honest assessment, that's a biased assessment.

Yeah... right....

When most of the team is not playing with emotion, it is the coaches fault. When a team plays with emotion, but still can't win, it's a lack of talent or just plain bad luck, if a team competes and they lose because a player makes a mistake, or several players make mistakes, then it is the players fault.

A coaches job is to teach and motivate. He determines who plays and he designs a game plan that best utilizes the talents of the players on the roster.

From what I have been reading, Drury's attitude and practice habits have had a big effect on a number of players, which is why I'm inclined to believe that he is more responsible for the way the Sabres are playing lately. The big question then is how come Ruff couldn't get the players to play as hard and motivate them to play towards a goal (such as, making the playoffs...)

How is this biased?

st_roland 11-04-2003 08:42 AM

Quote:

From what I have been reading, Drury's attitude and practice habits have had a big effect on a number of players, which is why I'm inclined to believe that he is more responsible for the way the Sabres are playing lately.

I'm an aves fan, and still undecided whether or not the drury/morris trade was the right one to make, mostly because drury was the reason I became so enamored with Colarado. Since you guys have been able to see him so much, do you think drury has more value than morris? BTW, if you guys make the playoffs, look for drury to explode(i'm sure you're familar with his post-season heroics)

LALALALALALAFONTAINE 11-04-2003 09:47 AM

Quote:

Yeah... right....

When most of the team is not playing with emotion, it is the coaches fault. When a team plays with emotion, but still can't win, it's a lack of talent or just plain bad luck, if a team competes and they lose because a player makes a mistake, or several players make mistakes, then it is the players fault.

A coaches job is to teach and motivate. He determines who plays and he designs a game plan that best utilizes the talents of the players on the roster.

From what I have been reading, Drury's attitude and practice habits have had a big effect on a number of players, which is why I'm inclined to believe that he is more responsible for the way the Sabres are playing lately. The big question then is how come Ruff couldn't get the players to play as hard and motivate them to play towards a goal (such as, making the playoffs...)

How is this biased?

It is both a coach's job and a player's job to perform. Did Drury's attitude and practice habits have a big effect in Vancouver too? It's biased because you are giving credit to Drury (note the success of the Flames last year, too) when the Sabres play well and none to Ruff, but all the blame to Ruff when we suck.

There are many reasons why a team's play falters. We among the best team in calendar year 1998, but started to falter in 1999. Then we dealt the cancer Barnaby away and improved immediately.

We don't need a Pee-Wee coach to inspire the Sabres.

Buffaloed 11-04-2003 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zbubble

Some of us also remember the 80's when the Sabres missed the playoffs 8 years in a row.

I don't remember that. I remember a lot of 1st round playoff exits in the 80's.

djhn579 11-04-2003 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LALALALALALAFONTAINE
It is both a coach's job and a player's job to perform. Did Drury's attitude and practice habits have a big effect in Vancouver too? It's biased because you are giving credit to Drury (note the success of the Flames last year, too) when the Sabres play well and none to Ruff, but all the blame to Ruff when we suck.

There are many reasons why a team's play falters. We among the best team in calendar year 1998, but started to falter in 1999. Then we dealt the cancer Barnaby away and improved immediately.

We don't need a Pee-Wee coach to inspire the Sabres.

Pee-wee coach? Where did that come from? :dunno:

Buffaloed 11-04-2003 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Takeo21
Sabres October Report Card (6-5-0-0)

FORWARDS: A-
Drury's leadership and Pyatt's (6 G) development big bright spots. AHLers (Taylor, Botterill, Pittis) made valuable contributions. Verdict still out on Max.

DEFENSE: C+
Unit as a whole overcame slow/soft start. Zhitnik has returned to #1 d-man form. Emergence of Fitzpatrick (+7) offset by disappointing start for Tallinder and Kalinin. Patrick is a rock...or fossil, but you get the point.

SPECIAL TEAMS: C+
Powerplay (11th NHL) has been above average despite Delmore's (0 points) ineffectiveness. Penalty killing (22nd NHL) should be better.

GOALTENDING: B+
Miller lost starting job early by no fault of his own. Marty (2.21 GAA, .924 SV%) has been strong and close to consistent overall. Mika avoided characteristic slow start with early shutout.

COACHING: B
Lindy deserves props for surviving the West Coast tilt as well as for penning the Pyatt/Drury/Briere in the Marriott. Rotating the "C" is debatable.

How do they manage a B+ average with a 6-5-0 record? At most we're looking at a C or C+ average with that record. I think your report card is more reflective of the Sabres performances following the 10/20 debacle in Vancouver and discounts their struggles in the first half of the month.

There's not much room for improvement if this team already has a B+ grade. They were badly outplayed in all 5 of their losses and in the win at Colorado. I'd give everyone a C grade on my report card for October.

Takeo 11-04-2003 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buffaloed
How do they manage a B+ average with a 6-5-0 record? At most we're looking at a C or C+ average with that record. I think your report card is more reflective of the Sabres performances following the 10/20 debacle in Vancouver and discounts their struggles in the first half of the month.

There's not much room for improvement if this team already has a B+ grade. They were badly outplayed in all 5 of their losses and in the win at Colorado. I'd give everyone a C grade on my report card for October.

The average is actually a B...and I approached it from where they stand now, considering the horrible start and brutal road trip.

Taking their average play in all 11 games, your assessment would probably be more accurate.