HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Why we should go back to the Wales Conference (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=250540)

Hackett 05-09-2006 12:54 PM

Why we should go back to the Wales Conference

Well, lets look at our historical track record since the adaptation of the "Eastern" Conference

1994 - 5th place finish (rare loss to the bruins in the 1st round 7 games)

1995 - lockout shortened year (missed playoffs)

1996 - Tremblay is the new coach, Houle is the new GM...... 6th place finish (1st round loss to Alex Kovalev and the New York Rangers in 6 games after taking the 1st two games in New York :madfire:

1997 - 8th place finish (first round loss to NJ in 5 games including a Empty net goal by Marty Brodeur :shakehead )

1998 - Alain Vigneault takes over as the new coach..... 7th place finish (2nd round loss to Buffalo in 4 games)

1999 - Missed Playoffs

2000 - Missed Playoffs

2001 - Missed Playoffs

2002 - Michel Therrien becomes the new coach...... 8th place finish (2nd round loss to Carolina in 6 games)

2003 - missed playoffs

2004 - Gainey is the new GM, Julien the new coach.... 7th place finish (2nd round loss to T in 4 games

2006 - 7th place finish (1st round loss to Carolina in 6 games)

So lets add it up... since the Eastern conference was formed, the habs have

- only 7 playoff years in 12 seasons

- only 3 of those playoff years went beyond the first round

- none of those playoff years went beyond the 2nd round

- none of those playoff years had the habs with home ice advantage

This all makes me think back to pre 1994. When the world was perfect.... the whalers were in Hartford, the Nordiques were in Quebec City. The Sabres still had their blue and gold unis. Toronto seemed far away in the Western Conference. Kirk Muller was in a habs uniform where he belonged. The Forum Ghosts performing their antics while the habs played there.

hmm, what happened just before the eastern conference was formed? OH, THATS RIGHT! I remember now! The habs won the Cup! God Bless the Wales Conference!

Now, all we need to do is put carolina back in their original home of hartford and bring back the nordiques to re-create the adams divison and re-name the conference back to the Mighty Wales Conference! ;)

:sarcasm:

Bill McNeal 05-09-2006 12:56 PM

Plus, having our own exclusive conference would give us a pretty good shot at finishing first in it.

freezie 05-09-2006 02:17 PM

Kirk Muller was in a habs uniform where he belonged.

i miss that more than anything else..Kirk was awesome.Im still mad about how he was treated.

All-Star 05-09-2006 07:02 PM

I never stopped calling the NE Division: the Adams Division.

I'm just "old school" I guess.

Turbo 05-09-2006 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Albino
Plus, having our own exclusive conference would give us a pretty good shot at finishing first in it.

:biglaugh: