HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Sergei Samsonov (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=250557)

swiftsure1786 05-09-2006 12:35 PM

Sergei Samsonov

What does eveyone thing about this guy? I know a lot will say that he is just another small forward that we already have too many of, but I have always liked him. He fits nicely with our emphasis on speed, what sort of money would he be looking at?

CaptCrunch 05-09-2006 12:38 PM

I know you are really going to hate my answer...

But...

We really have too many players like him.

:dunce:

C-Saku Koivu MTL 05-09-2006 12:47 PM

Not only do we have enough small players, but we also have enough injury prone players and Sammy is another one.

But....a line like:

Samsonov-Arnott-Kovalev

would be sweet and give nightmare to opponents defence.

C-Saku Koivu MTL 05-09-2006 12:48 PM

And he could get up to 3.5mil$ easilly I think.

Habsaku 05-09-2006 12:53 PM

Even with all the bad press he gets, I feel Allison would be a good fit for this team.

Tuggy 05-09-2006 12:54 PM

:thumbd: To Samsonov and Allison.

Astaroth 05-09-2006 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptCrunch
I know you are really going to hate my answer...

But...

We really have too many players like him.

:dunce:

We hardly have small players of comparable skill to him. Just cuz he's a eruo and small doesn't mean he's equal to any of our players. His talent and skillset are superior to everyone on this team besides Kovalev, Markov and Koivu. And he might be a superior talent wise to Koivu. I'd like him but the only problem is injuries. Trust me this guy will get his choice of teams at 3.5 and more than a few team will offer him 4.

Mike8 05-09-2006 12:55 PM

I really like Samsonov. The only reason I would not be totally on board with pursuing him is that he's so injury prone. Koivu and Kovalev already miss a fair number of games, adding a third star forward who's injury prone is not a good thing.

While I don't think Samsonov entirely fulfills Montreal's needs (style-wise), he's so quick, shifty and talented offensively that it's hard to pass up on him.

Re: Allison. I liked his game pre-injury. Vastly underrated player who controlled the play down low. He doesn't do that anymore though.

CareyClutch 05-09-2006 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habsaku
Even with all the bad press he gets, I feel Allison would be a good fit for this team.

someone is right here!! i know there no love here for my pal jason...but im sure jason Allison would be a better fit then jason Arnott

let the bashing begin!

Shabutie 05-09-2006 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason allison'fans
someone is right here!! i know there no love here for my pal jason...but im sure jason Allison would be a better fit then jason Arnott

let the bashing begin!

As long as he doesn't have to skate.

CareyClutch 05-09-2006 01:15 PM

some people tend to forgot that Allison had not play a game of hockey in almost 3 years( he was injured at the beginning of the 2002-2003 season) so after missed almost 3 years..come back and put 60 pts on 66 games...

NORiculous 05-09-2006 01:18 PM

I would very much rather see Samsonov, even if he is small, then Arnott on the 2nd line.

Hi-Ko-Ry
Sa-Ri-Ko

CaptCrunch 05-09-2006 01:18 PM

NHLPA

Sergei Samsonov

5'8''
184 pounds

73GP, 23+30=60 (-3)

Saku Koivu

5'10''
182 pounds

72 = 17+45=62 (+1)

Mike Ribeiro

6'
175 pounds

79, 16+35=51 (-6)

Chritopher Higgins

5'11''
188 pounds

80, 23+15=38 (-1)

Tomas Plekanec

5'10''
189 pound

67, 9+20=29 (+4)

Alexander Perezhogin

5'11''
185 pounds

67, 9+10=19, +5

I really dont care that Samsonov is Euro or not.

I don't really care that he's got all these Uber Skills.

What I would like, however, is to have a forward who can be more than 5'11 and can weight more than 190 pounds.

I'm just tired of the habs being the NHL version of ping pong smurfs.

And I remember swearing that I wouln't want to see the like of the Valeri Bure-Saku Koivu-Oleg Petrov lines ever again.

I'm not asking for Bertuzzi either.

Someone like

Jamie Langenbrunner

6'
195 pounds

80GP, 19+34=53 (-1)

Would do very well.

And, once again, I don't care if he's european.

Munchausen 05-09-2006 01:18 PM

I'd take the risk, but I doubt Gainey would.

I'd like Samsonov because I feel we lack in talent on the left side. Outside of Higgins, who's still relatively unproven, there are only question marks. Bulis is gone. Zednik could be gone as well. Latendresse? Kostitsyn? Perezhogin? They sure look like nice future players, but none of them has proven he could find a spot on the top 2 lines and run away with it. Too risky to assume they will next year.

Plus Samsonov's a righty, which is a rare commodity in Hab land. He and Kovalev would just make for a fantastic duo, worth the price of admission alone. He was always one of my favorites on the Bs, has electrifying moves, and looks like a *much* better Oleg Petrov (who I always liked too incidently).

That being said, Gainey chose to pass on Laperriere because of his health situation (concussions), so why would it be any different with Samsonov?

So I'll say in the ballpark of 3M, we should take the risk, much more than that, forget it.

Roots73 05-09-2006 01:21 PM

For some reason he reminds me of Andrei Kovalenko. Stocky kind of guy that can get you 20-30 goals but got some durability issues.

Astaroth 05-09-2006 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munchausen
I'd take the risk, but I doubt Gainey would.

I'd like Samsonov because I feel we lack in talent on the left side. Outside of Higgins, who's still relatively unproven, there are only question marks. Bulis is gone. Zednik could be gone as well. Latendresse? Kostitsyn? Perezhogin? They sure look like nice future players, but none of them has proven he could find a spot on the top 2 lines and run away with it. Too risky to assume they will next year.

Plus Samsonov's a righty, which is a rare commodity in Hab land. He and Kovalev would just make for a fantastic duo, worth the price of admission alone. He was always one of my favorites on the Bs, has electrifying moves, and looks like a *much* better Oleg Petrov (who I always liked too incidently).

That being said, Gainey chose to pass on Laperriere because of his health situation (concussions), so why would it be any different with Samsonov?

So I'll say in the ballpark of 3M, we should take the risk, much more than that, forget it.

Unfortunetly I don't see him taking a paycut to join the illustrious Habs.

Mike8 05-09-2006 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munchausen

I'd agree with that approach because at $3m it'd allow for another relatively costly player being added to the forward group (down the line).

And I'd also like to see Samsonov, Markov and Kovalev work together.

But I don't see him being that cheap.

Mike8 05-09-2006 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roots73
For some reason he reminds me of Andrei Kovalenko. Stocky kind of guy that can get you 20-30 goals but got some durability issues.

Kovalenko was a serious issue off-ice though.

Munchausen 05-09-2006 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike8
But I don't see him being that cheap.

Me neither. There will always be that GM that will gamble to get an edge, so I think Samsonov will find a lucrative contract somewhere, but no harm in putting an offer on the table early, you never know, and with Perezhogin, Kostitsyn, Markov and Kovalev already on board, that might be an extra incentive to think about it twice.

Teufelsdreck 05-09-2006 01:45 PM

IMO Samsonov is talented enough but also small, soft, and relatively expensive.

NORiculous 05-09-2006 02:26 PM

Morozov could also be an idea.

Kirk Muller 05-09-2006 02:46 PM

I like Samsonov. Montreal may have small forwards, but he is really different than most of them. The misconception in Montreal is that they are a fast team, they aren't. They have a few shifty players, and a few guys who can skate. Koivu and Ribeiro are shifty but aren't speed demons. Ryder has decent top end speed but slow acceleration. Kovalev is a smooth skater but again not blazing. Bonk is slow. Guys like Begin, Murray, and Downey are strong skaters but aren't front line players.

Samsonov adds both explosive speed and shiftiness, along with great talent. He is like Petrov but with a much higher skill level. He isn't a top tier player but would add some secondary gamebreakerness(lol) behind Kovalev.

Talent Analyst 05-09-2006 03:07 PM

Samsonov will be an good addition for us . Yes we are a small team , but who cares ? buffalo is more smaller than us and its change nothing . Whatever , our future isn't that small .

Latendresse : 6-2 222 lbs
Andrei Kostitsyn :6-1 208 lbs
Jean-Phillippe Coté : 6-2 213lb
Maxim Lapierre :6-2 180 lbs
Alex Perezhogin : 6-0 185 lbs
Ryan O'Byrne : 6-5 210 lbs
Kyle Chipchura : 6-2 195 lbs

Why searching BIG person ? our future is big . Arnott could be a good addition but that it .

CaptCrunch 05-09-2006 03:21 PM

Yes, but Samsonov is now... lol.

What line are you going to make?

Samsonov-Koivu-Higgins?

Samsonov-Koivu-Ryder?

Samsonov-Ribeiro-Kovalev?

Samsonov-Koivu-Perezhogin?

See where I am going?

Where's the grit?

Don't talk to me about Arnott. Last time I heard, he wasn't with the Habs yet.

Latendresse will not be with the habs next year

Kostitsyn might break the top two lines but he's no veteran yet (we dont know how its going to turn out)

Côté's a defenseman... nothing to do with our top two lines

Lapierre on the top two trio would be the same thing as putting Murray IMHO...

Perezhogin is listed as 5'11'' on NHLPA's site... Anyway, I agree that he's solid on his skates but it doesn't change anything to our size problem.

O'Byrne is not even with the Bulldogs yet. He's a defenseman anyway (look at Cote)

Chipchura's not going to be with the habs next year.

Its easy to look at everyone above 6' and say we have grit but we have to look at what the lines are going to look like..

:D

Munchausen 05-09-2006 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptCrunch
Samsonov-Ribeiro-Kovalev?

That would already be a tremendous upgrade on the late Bulis - Ribeiro - Kovalev line. Samsonov can do things with a puck Bulis can only dream of.

And if BG feels we're too small up the middle or that Ribeiro isn't a good top-2 center, it's up to him to change the situation. Seperate problem from Samsonov's size (who might be small but grittier than half our forward group).