HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   In retrospect (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=250718)

loudi94 05-09-2006 11:40 PM

In retrospect

Watching San Jose play this year and especially Joe Thornton got me thinking. If the NHL would have started the crackdown on the hooking/obstruction etc. 5 years ago, would Montreal have been able to shut down Thornton twice in the playoffs like they did. I watched him drive to the net last night and was just touched on the gloves and it was 2 minutes in the box for Edmonton. I remember how brutal our D played him. He was driven to frustration/retaliation on many occasions that just don't exist anymore. I can't even begin to fathom what Bruins fans must feel like when they see Samsonov vs. Thornton in the second round of the playoffs.

ChemiseBleuHonnete 05-09-2006 11:46 PM

lol, that makes me think about one thing... Poor Boston fans. Their team is totally destroyed.

Kirk Muller 05-09-2006 11:48 PM

It would be interesting, but Montreal may not have been able to shut down Thornton, but how would Boston handle Montreals quick forwards down low. If i remember correctly, they couldn't, and it would have been even worse under these rules.

loudi94 05-09-2006 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nash13
It would be interesting, but Montreal may not have been able to shut down Thornton, but how would Boston handle Montreals quick forwards down low. If i remember correctly, they couldn't, and it would have been even worse under these rules.

Good point, it would have come down to who's powerplay was clicking at the time.

Freaky Habs Fan 05-10-2006 12:31 AM

Thornton isn't the reason that the Sharks are that good in the playoffs...Marleau is!!! If you look at Joe's stats, it's not really good for a player like him: 7GP-1G-4A-5Pts, -2

He seems to be one of the best in the regular season, but he chokes in the real season...

Kingbobert 05-10-2006 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan
Thornton isn't the reason that the Sharks are that good in the playoffs...Marleau is!!! If you look at Joe's stats, it's not really good for a player like him: 7GP-1G-4A-5Pts, -2

He seems to be one of the best in the regular season, but he chokes in the real season...

stats are not everything....

believe me without joe i doubt the sharks would be where they are now in the playoffs let alone in the playoffs alone....

in the season marleaus line was more defensive drawing penalties forechecking doing all the other things needed to succeed apart from scoring

in the playoffs the roles of the lines have inversed

Freaky Habs Fan 05-10-2006 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingbobert
stats are not everything....

believe me without joe i doubt the sharks would be where they are now in the playoffs let alone in the playoffs alone....

in the season marleaus line was more defensive drawing penalties forechecking doing all the other things needed to succeed apart from scoring

in the playoffs the roles of the lines have inversed

I know that it's not everthing, but do you really expect only 5 points from the NHL leading scorer???

Evil Ted 05-10-2006 06:25 AM

Quote:

joe thornton is a differnt player then he was 2 seasons ago in the playoffs, if you watch any of the sanjose games in both the 1st and 2nd round now you will notice when he is on the ice he is a dominating force, he creates so much room for other players when hes on the ice, and when hes off the ice the other team rests there top d paring which gives marleau a better chance of scoring.

Hes not choking at all in these playoffs..... hes been great.

Artie 05-10-2006 08:12 AM

Quote:

Out of curiosity, have you watched any of the games. He's been a force to reckon with and although he may not be putting up numbers in terms of stats, he's definitely dictating what happens on the ice.

pavlako11 05-10-2006 08:18 AM

I still think its the Marleau line that's carrying this team, the guy has 8 goals. He's the main reason they're doing so well. If Joe Thornton ever decided to actually take a shot on goal he'd be a deadly player. Someone needs to tell him its okay to score a goal.

Artie 05-10-2006 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pavlako11
I still think its the Marleau line that's carrying this team, the guy has 8 goals. He's the main reason they're doing so well. If Joe Thornton ever decided to actually take a shot on goal he'd be a deadly player. Someone needs to tell him its okay to score a goal.

Cheechoo would beg to differ.

Evil Ted 05-10-2006 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pavlako11

The marleau line gets the free ticket because the matchups are against the thornton line, Pronger cant play the whole game.

MacDaddy TLC* 05-10-2006 10:43 PM

If they had started it 15 years ago, Mario would have broken all of Gretzky's scoring records by now except 2: 92 goals and 54 games with a point.