HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Mike Comrie? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=25089)

Bagel 11-03-2003 08:57 AM

Mike Comrie?

Sorry if this was already posted, but this is a blurb from Sunday's Boston Globe:

Mike Comrie, who made about $4 million last year with the Oilers, has been offered $1.13 million to come back to Edmonton. He won't take it, wants to be traded, but offers have been paper-thin (reports have the Thrashers offering Patrik Stefan, and the Sabres trying with Tim Connolly or Maxim Afinogenov)

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...ing_the_shots/

KillToronto 11-03-2003 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTL
Timmah and Max together wouldn't cut it.

To Buff:

Mike Comrie

To Edm:

Tim Connolly
Henrik Tallinder
2nd rounder

Is this fair or am I way off?

nordique 11-03-2003 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KillToronto
To Buff:

Mike Comrie

To Edm:

Tim Connolly
Henrik Tallinder
2nd rounder

If I was an Oilers fan, I'd be pretty unhappy with that deal. Connolly has been an unmitigated bust since his rookie year, Tallinder is OK but nothing special. The Oilers have a ton of players in the Connolly-esque range (and a bunch still on the farm). I'd think something more like McKee would make sense from an Edmonton standpoint.

Ghost of Dale Hunter 11-03-2003 12:20 PM

Quote:

To Buff:

Mike Comrie

To Edm:

Tim Connolly
Henrik Tallinder
2nd rounder

Edmonton's situation being what it is, i think it is fair. teams arent exactly beating down their door with offers.

In a few months that might be overpaying. I am not sold on Comrie being a superstar by any stretch. but I would give up a little more than normal to take the shot at that kind of potential.

KillToronto 11-03-2003 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghost of Dale Hunter
Edmonton's situation being what it is, i think it is fair. teams arent exactly beating down their door with offers.

In a few months that might be overpaying. I am not sold on Comrie being a superstar by any stretch. but I would give up a little more than normal to take the shot at that kind of potential.

I used to be very high on Tallinder but he hasn't impressed me at all, especially this year. And Connolly may pan out to be something great but Comrie is somewhat proven and has scored 30 goals in a season. I'll take that over the unimpressive-but-still-has-potential Tallinder and slow-to-develop Connolly right now. But like you said, we could be overpaying in a lil while.

TVanek26* 11-03-2003 12:53 PM

Edmonton would love Tallinder and Afinogenov for Comrie.They get 2 good NHL'ers and a high pick.I would be love for Comrie to play on the Sabres.

Larry Fisher 11-03-2003 01:11 PM

What would Buffalo think of this...

To Edmonton: Maxim Afinogenov, Henrick Tallinder, and the option to swap 1st rounders in 2004

To Buffalo: Mike Comrie and Jason Chimera

I think it seems rather fair. I could see Buffalo getting a top 10 pick with the Oilers between 12-18 so that would definitely help balance the deal from an Oilers perspective.

Afinogenov is intriguing and his speed and skill would blend in with the Oilers...I don't know much about Tallinder but we always need more d-man especially young skilled ones.

Comrie is basically gone from Edmonton and he doesn't cost that much...contrary to popular belief i think he wants about 2.4 million rather than 4 million a year. Salary wise Buffalo could definitely handle it and Chimera is likely a future 20 goal guy and i think his size would compliment some of Buffalos smaller forwards.

The deal helps to straighten out part of Edmonton's forwards situation and it gives the Oil a chance at getting a higher pick for a change...risky but i like the deal. Hopefully KLO and Regier can get on the phone and make something similar to this go down.

KillToronto 11-03-2003 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTL
I can't say that those are 2 good NHLers...Tallinder may develop into one but Max is not close.

How is Max "not close" to being a good NHL'er?

Prior to his concussion-laden season last year, Max's point totals steadily increased as he avoided the sophomore slump. His totals went:

99-00: 65-16-18-34
00-01: 78-14-22-36
01-02: 81-21-19-40
*02-03: 35-5-6-11

His fourth year was supposed to be his breakout year, but of course, concussion problems got in the way. I would not rule out Afinogenov as a player who could still "break out." Although he will probably be a 25, maybe 30, goal scorer at most. Max is more than close to being a good NHL'er IMO. I don't know how you can say he's not, regardless of his poor play this year.

TehDoak 11-03-2003 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bagel
Sorry if this was already posted, but this is a blurb from Sunday's Boston Globe:

Mike Comrie, who made about $4 million last year with the Oilers, has been offered $1.13 million to come back to Edmonton. He won't take it, wants to be traded, but offers have been paper-thin (reports have the Thrashers offering Patrik Stefan, and the Sabres trying with Tim Connolly or Maxim Afinogenov)

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...ing_the_shots/

In all honesty, what does Comrie bring to the table that Buffalo doesn't already have in Briere? Doesn't make sense, Buffalo isn't looking to add more salary, no way Edmonton wants that package in return.

Ruckus007 11-03-2003 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salostyle
To Edmonton: Maxim Afinogenov, Henrick Tallinder, and the option to swap 1st rounders in 2004

To Buffalo: Mike Comrie and Jason Chimera

I think it seems rather fair. I could see Buffalo getting a top 10 pick with the Oilers between 12-18 so that would definitely help balance the deal from an Oilers perspective.

Afinogenov is intriguing and his speed and skill would blend in with the Oilers...I don't know much about Tallinder but we always need more d-man especially young skilled ones.

Comrie is basically gone from Edmonton and he doesn't cost that much...contrary to popular belief i think he wants about 2.4 million rather than 4 million a year. Salary wise Buffalo could definitely handle it and Chimera is likely a future 20 goal guy and i think his size would compliment some of Buffalos smaller forwards.

The deal helps to straighten out part of Edmonton's forwards situation and it gives the Oil a chance at getting a higher pick for a change...risky but i like the deal. Hopefully KLO and Regier can get on the phone and make something similar to this go down.

I second JTL, you have a deal.

camboy 11-03-2003 01:22 PM

Quote:

To Buff:

Mike Comrie

To Edm:

Tim Connolly
Henrik Tallinder
2nd rounder

Way off. Sorry.

KillToronto 11-03-2003 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camboy
Way off. Sorry.

How is it "way off?"

Please explain. Connolly has the potential to be nearly as good as Comrie, add Tallinder, who should be a solid #3/4 defenseman for over a decade, and a second round pick in a decently deep draft and I think this deal is pretty fair.

KillToronto 11-03-2003 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTL
40 points as your Maximum you've ever done and you are a good NHL player??? That is more like average and factor in that he doesn't know how to be responsible in his own end and you have below average in my book.

40 points as a maximum before your breakout year in a team notorious for not scoring goals in a defense-first system seems pretty good to me. And Max has definitely been much more improved in his own end of the ice, so to say he is not responsible is wrong. He has also looked faster than anyone on the ice when he's played this year. He is full of confidence and intensity and eventually, in the right circumstances, that will lead to more than 40 points. Take into account that if Max was in Edmonton, a team which uses speed and offense much more than the Sabres, he would be more free to use his speed and wouldn't have to worry about his defensive play as much as he does here. Plus, Max would probably fit well playing on a line with Ryan Smyth or Ales Hemsky. He is definitely not "below average." Connolly, a player who's point totals have decreased steadily and is beyond bad defensively is below average right now.

KillToronto 11-03-2003 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTL
Personally, Timmah doesn't have Comrie's potential.

I know, which is why I said "nearly." :)

SuperNintendoChalmrs 11-03-2003 01:49 PM

Max Afinogenov is nothing more than a Russian version of Bo Mikael Andersson.....

Someone should have informed Max that NHL games are not all-star weekend NHL skills competitions where you can display spastic speed and puckhandling abilities.

camboy 11-03-2003 01:50 PM

Quote:

How is it "way off?"

Please explain. Connolly has the potential to be nearly as good as Comrie, add Tallinder, who should be a solid #3/4 defenseman for over a decade, and a second round pick in a decently deep draft and I think this deal is pretty fair.

I don't need to explain...you already have. "Potential" sums it up. The Oilers have plenty of "potential"....what they need is a proven NHL player in any Comrie deal. It may not be what is being offered right now, but IMO it will be as time passes. Lowe will wait.

KillToronto 11-03-2003 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTL
So everything Wayne Gretzky or Mario Lemieux or Mike Bossy or heck Gilbert Perrault did before they were 23 is over achieving...give me a break. Max over stick handles, he doesn't have a clue how to effectively use his speed and Jay McKee has a harder shot(and that isn't saying much). I know for a fact that Lindy hates his defensive zone play.

Did I say that they were overachieving? I never once used that word. Max over stickhandles, I know, but most of the time it's because none of his linemates are in any position to receive a pass from him, therefore he's forced to hold on to the puck until he's knocked off it or he gives it away. How do you know "for a fact" that Lindy hates his defensive zone play?

KillToronto 11-03-2003 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTL
I work for the Sabres, I know how Lindy feels about Max.

Lucky b*stard ;) .

billsandsabres 11-03-2003 02:25 PM

aren't the sabres already small enough down the middle?
i don't think comrie is worth the money he wants
better than max or connolly? yes
better than drury or briere? i don't think so

Weezel RX7 11-03-2003 02:55 PM

you guys are throwing max around like it aint no thing. regier wont deal max and i highly doubt he will deal tallinder, these 2 players, max prior to the concussion, have evolved into our lineup and stayed there. you also have to look at edmonton's situation. its hurting there club more than anyone, they have to take what they can get.

send really young prospects like Ryan or Notvotny, throw in a late pick for Comrie...thats the best offer the oilers will get

Jame 11-03-2003 03:29 PM

make the trade

Afinogenov, Connolly, Noronen, Campbell, Boulton

for Comrie and Cory Cross

With Connolly and Hecht coming back from injuries and Max riding the bench the Sabres, coupled with the strong play of AHLers Botteril, Taylor, and Peters (All of whom have earned there spots) the Sabres have serious Roster issues. All 5 players offered need changes of scenery. Max, Tim, and Mika all have undeniable talent. Maybe a change of scenery and especially coach they could develop. Edmonton doesnt have to take all 5 players for salary reasons but they could have all 5 if they wanted.

Pyatt-Drury-Briere
Hecht-Comrie-Satan
Kotalik-Brown-Dumont
Botteril-Taylor-Mair

Zhitnik-Fitzpatrick
Mckee-Kalinin
Cross-Delmore

scratched - Peters, Patrick, Tallinder

billsandsabres 11-03-2003 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTL
I say he is better than Briere and a better goal scorer than Drury...he can't compare with Drury's overall game but he can put the puck in the back of the net better.

true, but i would rather have drury, as would you it seems
briere and comrie are pretty close, and its a matter of opinion who is better- but comrie's salary situation is much less favorable than briere's

billsandsabres 11-03-2003 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTL
I never said I wouldn't want all 3 on my team now did I???? :teach:

hey, if golisano pays up, i'm with ya all the way

buffalowing 11-03-2003 07:23 PM

Now, I would love to have Mike Comrie......but I don't think it will happen.

SpezNc 11-03-2003 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTL
If they took that package he brings a 30 goal scorer to the table...tell me how many of them we currently have??? Drury hasn't done it. Satan and Briere are it. The more guys that can put the biscuit in the basket the better off we are...especially for that proposal.

how about:

EDMONTON: Patrick Stefan, Braydon Coburn, Simon Gamache
ATLANTA: Mike Comrie, Jani Rita