HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Just a question: Would Joe Sakic and Kovalev's styles mesh well. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=251593)

Pere Noel 05-12-2006 10:21 PM

Just a question: Would Joe Sakic and Kovalev's styles mesh well.

What do you think?

If both were to play together, would that be a match made in heaven?

Or would they really not complement each other?

What is the best type of wingers to pair with Sakic?

I am not directly suggesting that the Montreal Canadians sign Sakic as a UFA, nor that I am saying they should not.

I am just wondering what our experts think? (then we can think of dreaming of signing him or spit on the idea :) )

If you look at Forsberg and Gagne, that was a perfect sign-up. Forsberg (when healthy) set up Gagne for so many goals... that was a real good investment. Not only were the Flyers getting a great center for relatively cheap, but Gagne went from a season of 24 goals to 47 ! (easily 50 to 55 had they both been healthy)

Teufelsdreck 05-12-2006 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pere Noel
What do you think?

I am not directly suggesting that the Montreal Canadians sign Sakic as a UFA, nor that I am saying they should not.

I am just wondering what our experts think? (then we can think of dreaming of signing him or spit on the idea :) )

If you look at Forsberg and Gagne, that was a perfect sign-up. Forsberg (when healthy) set up Gagne for so many goals... that was a real good investment. Not only were the Flyers getting a great center for relatively cheap, but Gagne went from a season of 24 goals to 47 ! (easily 50 to 55 had they both been healthy)

It would make life a lot easier for Kovalev because the opponents would have to devote a lot of attention to Sakic, who has a deadly wrist shot.

Pere Noel 05-13-2006 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck
It would make life a lot easier for Kovalev because the opponents would have to devote a lot of attention to Sakic, who has a deadly wrist shot.

I think you have a good point. That would then create more space for Kovalev. Also, since Kovalev likes to create plays, he could set-up Sakic.

Sakic for that matter, is indeed a very fine sniper. He had 32 goals last year, and even had 54 goals a few years ago.

sXe 05-13-2006 09:11 AM

Sakic? sounds too much like a euro name.

Mike8 05-13-2006 09:22 AM

I don't think they'd be ideal. Sakic plays a faster paced game. He also prefers being the setup man (despite his good shot), and carries the puck. Kovalev also prefers being the puck carrier, and is very much unpredictable in his movements to opponents and teammates alike.

I think Kovalev and Sakic together would work, simply because they're both extremely talented, but I don't think they would make ideal linemates. If they were on the same team, I'd expect them to carry seperate lines--not unlike Koivu and Kovalev currently on Montreal.

Subban Fan 05-13-2006 09:30 AM

Quote:

What do you think?

We have to make an offer to Sakic...

Pere Noel 05-13-2006 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sXe

LOL

How about Gretzky?... Yikes...

And Lemieux, sounds too French Canadian.... hasn't Don Cherry been saying that French Canadians and Euro in the same melting pot?

Renholder 05-13-2006 09:39 AM

Indeed, if you want a real american sounding player...get Paul Ranger...cant' got wrong with paul Ranger ...

Who needs Sakic.

LePoche69 05-13-2006 09:40 AM

To me, that is the main problem with Kovalev : his style doesn't fit too well with anybody.

Not saying he's not good or anything, but he's a guy playing the ice like a playmaker, but always shooting to the net. 95% of the time, he'll try to make everything by himself. Some games, it is so obvious that his linemates don't know what to do or where to go on the ice.

But of course, being realistic, Him and Sakic would be great, just based on talent. But I'm pretty sure Kovalev wouldn't do more with Sakic than Hejduk can do. Probably less, in fact.

At his age, I beleive that Kovalev is around a 1 ppg player, no matter who he plays with (besides the "Mario Lemieux" of the world).

That said, I dont believe a single minute that Sakic would come play here. First, he's kinda old (and Gainey always repeat that he wants to make places to our young players), second, if he's not considering himself as a lifetime Avs (which I think he is), I think he would want to end his career or in Vancouver, or in New York. Just a tought, tho.

Maxpac 05-13-2006 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LePoche69
To me, that is the main problem with Kovalev : his style doesn't fit too well with anybody.

He needs players who are fast and have the ability to work there way threw traffic, like Perezhogin, in October when Zednick was injured how many times did we see Kovalev doing his magic, being surrounded by 2,3 players and then wham Perez comes out flying with the puck after a great pass from Kovy witch would most of the time lead to a good scoring chance, For a center, someone who could probably try and block the goalie's view would be great, Kovy has such an aim with his wrister, he'd fine that open spot and and there's nothing anybody can do about it

Pere Noel 05-13-2006 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcel the great!
..., For a center, someone who could probably try and block the goalie's view would be great, Kovy has such an aim with his wrister, he'd fine that open spot and and there's nothing anybody can do about it...

You have a good point there.

Teufelsdreck 05-13-2006 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LePoche69

Not saying he's not good or anything, but he's a guy playing the ice like a playmaker, but always shooting to the net. 95% of the time, he'll try to make everything by himself. Some games, it is so obvious that his linemates don't know what to do or where to go on the ice.

But of course, being realistic, Him and Sakic would be great, just based on talent. But I'm pretty sure Kovalev wouldn't do more with Sakic than Hejduk can do. Probably less, in fact.

At his age, I beleive that Kovalev is around a 1 ppg player, no matter who he plays with (besides the "Mario Lemieux" of the world).

That said, I dont believe a single minute that Sakic would come play here. First, he's kinda old (and Gainey always repeat that he wants to make places to our young players), second, if he's not considering himself as a lifetime Avs (which I think he is), I think he would want to end his career or in Vancouver, or in New York. Just a tought, tho.

Of course Sakic wouldn't play for the Habs. He'll finish his career with the Avs.

A total misread of Kovalev, based on how well he performed with skilled Russian linemates in the Olympics. Pairing him with Ribeiro is like having him drive with the handbrakes on. By the way, he didn't play on a line with Mario Lemieux. Generally, they were on the ice at the same time only on power plays. He often played with Robert Lang as his center (one reason for considering a trade of Zednik for Lang).

JordanStaal#1Fan 05-13-2006 12:43 PM

Don't get me wrong Sakic is my favorite player ever, but I don't want to see him in a Habs uniform, it would be a disgrace to see Sakic leave the Avs. For me Joe and a few others are a rare kind of loyal players and I don't want to see him change team. He would be great here but please Joe, finish your career where you started it.

tinyzombies 05-13-2006 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sXe

Funny enough he's an effective North American who puts his nose in there and knows how to win, eh? :D

tinyzombies 05-13-2006 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanyHeatley#1Fan
Don't get me wrong Sakic is my favorite player ever, but I don't want to see him in a Habs uniform, it would be a disgrace to see Sakic leave the Avs. For me Joe and a few others are a rare kind of loyal players and I don't want to see him change team. He would be great here but please Joe, finish your career where you started it.

He'd be crazy to stay there, the way that team's been mismanaged. Remember, it was Sakic who signed the offer sheet from the Rangers that messed up the salary structure (along with Federov's signing the Carolina offer sheet).

Pere Noel 05-13-2006 01:43 PM

Quote:

First, a side note,

There is no contradiction with your nickname "DanyHeatley#1Fan" and Sakic being your favorite player ever.... Sakic could still be your favorite player, and you could still be the fan #1 of Dany Heatley... but it does sound funny to hear you say it.

:)

Sakic in Colorado forever seems to be a natural.... Like Yzerman is for Detroit... Though I would have thought Carbonneau should have stayed forever in Montreal too.

Habsaku 05-13-2006 01:46 PM

Theres no reason not to try. Sakic still has at least 3 years of high quality play. He'd be exactly the guy we need to help out Koivu. He's in the mold of Doug Gilmour and thats the type of center I like the most. Its why I like Koivu so much, he bleeds for his team.

tinyzombies 05-13-2006 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habsaku
Theres no reason not to try. Sakic still has at least 3 years of high quality play. He'd be exactly the guy we need to help out Koivu. He's in the mold of Doug Gilmour and thats the type of center I like the most. Its why I like Koivu so much, he bleeds for his team.

He'll go to the highest bidder. I doubt we have 6 to 7M to sign him. If Koivu can get 4.75M, you bet Sakic is gonna get bank. At this stage of his career, he'll probably go somewhere where the kids are matured, the defense can move the puck, and where he has proper linemates who can dig out the puck and finish. He's not going to want to have to do all the heavy lifting like he did in Colorado this year.

JordanStaal#1Fan 05-13-2006 02:25 PM

Quote:

First, a side note,

There is no contradiction with your nickname "DanyHeatley#1Fan" and Sakic being your favorite player ever.... Sakic could still be your favorite player, and you could still be the fan #1 of Dany Heatley... but it does sound funny to hear you say it.

:)

Sakic in Colorado forever seems to be a natural.... Like Yzerman is for Detroit... Though I would have thought Carbonneau should have stayed forever in Montreal too.

I know that my screen name is a little ironic considering the fact that Sakic is my favorite player ever, but you know when I picked that screen name 4 years ago Dany was a rookie and you know it's Hockey's Future so :)

nuck 05-13-2006 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habsaku

Why would you assume Sakic has three years of high quality play left? Almost nobody has anything in the tank after 35. Even huge stars like Gretzky, Lafleur, Bossy, Trottier, Yzerman, Gilmour, Sittler, Clarke, Messier, Goulet, Robitaille, Dionne etc. When they lose it they lose it fast and Sakic is already older than all of the above players when they hit their rapid decline.
You could count on him for maybe one more really solid season but he is on borrowed time. He won't be inneffective over night, just not a first line center, and he won't be signing for just one year and he will want a contract based on the season he just had.
Not a player a club wants unless they are one good forward away from winning next year, and you probably won't win if he is your best forward(unless you are maybe Buffalo :) )
If he goes anywhere, maybe Vancouver. Mind you I can't see him wanting to die a Colorado Avalanche player on a rebuilding team, more than getting a shot at maybe winning 1 more cup so maybe he jumps to a team he thinks can do it next year. Think younger. I still wonder if they couldn't pry Lecavalier out of Tampa, and what he would be able to do if he weren't second fiddle behind Richards.

tinyzombies 05-13-2006 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nuck
Why would you assume Sakic has three years of high quality play left? Almost nobody has anything in the tank after 35. Even huge stars like Gretzky, Lafleur, Bossy, Trottier, Yzerman, Gilmour, Sittler, Clarke, Messier, Goulet, Robitaille, Dionne etc. When they lose it they lose it fast and Sakic is already older than all of the above players when they hit their rapid decline.
You could count on him for maybe one more really solid season but he is on borrowed time. He won't be inneffective over night, just not a first line center, and he won't be signing for just one year and he will want a contract based on the season he just had.
Not a player a club wants unless they are one good forward away from winning next year, and you probably won't win if he is your best forward(unless you are maybe Buffalo :) )
If he goes anywhere, maybe Vancouver. Mind you I can't see him wanting to die a Colorado Avalanche player on a rebuilding team, more than getting a shot at maybe winning 1 more cup so maybe he jumps to a team he thinks can do it next year. Think younger. I still wonder if they couldn't pry Lecavalier out of Tampa, and what he would be able to do if he weren't second fiddle behind Richards.

I agree. Sakic will probably sign with one of the teams that are still around in the playoffs right now. A cheap, young, big, fast team that is missing a scorer and has cap space. Anaheim, Buffalo, something like that.

JordanStaal#1Fan 05-13-2006 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raketheleaves
I agree. Sakic will probably sign with one of the teams that are still around in the playoffs right now. A cheap, young, big, fast team that is missing a scorer and has cap space. Anaheim, Buffalo, something like that.

I think that Joe will simply retire. Why would he want to push it? He has nothing to prove anymore and has all the money he needs plus he is 36 or 37.

Namso 05-13-2006 04:08 PM

Sakic could seriously mesh with anyone on the planet.

But forget it, he will never come here, and I hope he doesn't, I'd rather him finish his career with one team.

tinyzombies 05-13-2006 04:09 PM

Quote:

I think that Joe will simply retire. Why would he want to push it? He has nothing to prove anymore and has all the money he needs plus he is 36 or 37.

You don't think he'll sign another 21M contract? Come on.

Goulet17 05-13-2006 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raketheleaves
He'd be crazy to stay there, the way that team's been mismanaged. Remember, it was Sakic who signed the offer sheet from the Rangers that messed up the salary structure (along with Federov's signing the Carolina offer sheet).

I assume that you are joking. The Avs have been mismanaged?

Montreal should be so lucky to have such mismanagement over the past decade