HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Mike Richards VS Kyle Chipchura (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=251759)

Prospector 05-13-2006 05:00 PM

Mike Richards VS Kyle Chipchura

Are there similarities between Kyle Chipchura and Mike Richards?

Freaky Habs Fan 05-13-2006 05:01 PM

IMO, not really...

Richards is better offensively(from what we know because Chipchura could still be a real surprise). Mike is shifty and fast, while Chipchura is bigger and slower. They are both good deffensively, which is probably there biggest similarity...

Dan K 05-13-2006 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan
IMO, not really...

Richards is better offensively(from what we know because Chipchura could still be a real surprise). Mike is shifty and fast, while Chipchura is bigger and slower. They are both good deffensively, which is probably there biggest similarity...

That sums it up nicely. Obviously at this point, Richards >>> Chipchura, and it is likely IMO that Richards will have the better career.

Chipchura will be a valuable NHL player for us, maybe even like a John Madden, or a Kris Draper or Kirk Maltby, but Richards has much greater potential for developing into a star.

Freaky Habs Fan 05-13-2006 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sakuuuuu
That sums it up nicely. Obviously at this point, Richards >>> Chipchura, and it is likely IMO that Richards will have the better career.

Chipchura will be a valuable NHL player for us, maybe even like a John Madden, or a Kris Draper or Kirk Maltby, but Richards has much greater potential for developing into a star.

Exactly...but to win the Stanley Cup, you need to have some Richards, and some Chipchura type of player...

Chfan 05-13-2006 07:08 PM

I don't think Chipchura is the Madden, Richards more like it, Chichura will be a copy of Linden.

Rise from the Ashes 05-13-2006 07:09 PM

Chipchura is very much like Linden

Mike8 05-13-2006 07:55 PM

The Linden towards the downside of his career, sure. Earlier in his career he was quite the offensive force.

Dan K 05-13-2006 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chfan
I don't think Chipchura is the Madden, Richards more like it, Chichura will be a copy of Linden.

I agree with the Linden comparison, but I don't think Madden is that far off for Chipper either.

Madden's career high for points is 41. Richards put up 34 this year.

Mike8 05-13-2006 09:19 PM

Well, Madden's fast and smallish. Chipchura's big and not that fast.

I don't see the comparison.

Souffle 05-13-2006 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike8
The Linden towards the downside of his career, sure. Earlier in his career he was quite the offensive force.

Yep, and Linden was a good goal scorer. From what I've seen and read, Chipchura's offensive upside is that of a playmaker who works the puck from the corners to the net.

Anthony P 05-13-2006 09:23 PM

Let's not overrate our prospects.... as much as I hope Chipchura becomes good, he's still got a long way to go....

Dan K 05-13-2006 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike8
Well, Madden's fast and smallish. Chipchura's big and not that fast.

I don't see the comparison.

That's fair. Those are definitely important differences. I think their contributions are more what they would have in common. Centermen who will be out there shadowing another team's top guys, providing some leadership, and contributing offensively every now and then.

ChemiseBleuHonnete 05-13-2006 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony P
Let's not overrate our prospects.... as much as I hope Chipchura becomes good, he's still got a long way to go....

I think the same... Chipchura is not even close to make the team at this point. He doesn't have the skating nor the offensive talent to rack up the points in the future. If anything he'll become a decent nhler, but he will never be anything more than a role player.

Mike8 05-13-2006 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davedave
Yep, and Linden was a good goal scorer. From what I've seen and read, Chipchura's offensive upside is that of a playmaker who works the puck from the corners to the net.

One thing that's nice is that Chipchura can handle the puck in tight spaces. From what I saw, anyway, he works best around the crease and behind the net especially. Very slippery. I hope he can translate those skills to the NHL-game.

Teufelsdreck 05-13-2006 11:33 PM

Chipchura will never match up to Linden. Early on, Linden was one of the best scorers for Vancouver. It would be brash to predict the same for Chipchura with the Habs. Or, looking at it another way, if Chipchura becomes one of the best scorers, the Habs are in trouble because he's neither a sniper nor an Adam Oates type playmaker.

Souffle 05-14-2006 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck
Chipchura will never match up to Linden. Early on, Linden was one of the best scorers for Vancouver. It would be brash to predict the same for Chipchura with the Habs. Or, looking at it another way, if Chipchura becomes one of the best scorers, the Habs are in trouble because he's neither a sniper nor an Adam Oates type playmaker.

No doubt. Linden was taken right after Modano (or the other way around) and went on to score 30 goals right out of junior. But when it comes to assessing Chipchura's offensive potential, I think he could become a Rucchin type in his prime. That wouldn't be bad at all.

Mike8 05-14-2006 01:49 AM

Rucchin-type. I like that comparison. Best one yet for Chipchura.

Garp 05-14-2006 09:35 AM

I think his top potential is a younger version of the old Keith Primeau. Grit + Leadership + playoff clutch

habfan4 05-14-2006 10:43 AM

Is anyone else worried that Chipchura's skating is going to hold him back? I'd love it if he panned out as predicted, but I think there is just as much chance he might end up being another Jason Ward. (my apologies to Blind Gardien).

Freaky Habs Fan 05-14-2006 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habfan4
Is anyone else worried that Chipchura's skating is going to hold him back? I'd love it if he panned out as predicted, but I think there is just as much chance he might end up being another Jason Ward. (my apologies to Blind Gardien).

Don't worry...two different players. And Ward wasn't that bad of a skater, but his skating style was weird. Chipchura will make it, don't worry about that.

habfan4 05-14-2006 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan
Don't worry...two different players. And Ward wasn't that bad of a skater, but his skating style was weird. Chipchura will make it, don't worry about that.

I hope you're right, I just think we tend to over-hype this kid on the basis of being Sutter's WJC Captain. While I think Kyle's character and dedication will give him a decent shot at being a full time NHLer, I just don't think he has the skillset to be anything more than a 3rd line centre (at best a shutdown type player and PK guy). While team's need that kind of player, I just think we fans have higher or possibly unrealistic expectations of him.

Hopefully we'll have a better idea after a full season in Hamilton and hopefully I'm dead wrong. :D

Hackett 05-14-2006 11:56 AM

Quote:

much like Kirk Muller's warrior run in 1993, something happened there and muller was never ever the same in terms of point production again. He really wore himself out that year.

Same situation in 1994. A perennial 30 goals scorer in his career up to that point, Linden was a warrior with way too many battle scars to count. He singlehandedly kept the canucks in game 7 of the finals with his brilliant 2 goal effort. Just beautiful single man effort goals. Again, something happened and it seemed as though he aged 5 years or so in that single playoff year. He just totally wore down at that time as a player in his mid twenties

Modano and linden were drafted 1 and 2 overall in 1988 and one player is winding his career down very abruptly with many miles on his body while the other is still gracefully putting up points and seemingly has many years left in him.

You can tell which category linden fits into

Mike8 05-14-2006 12:01 PM

Quote:

Not at all. Chipchura's intelligent. Not that Ward isn't, but Ward's more of a proactive-type who just skates, hits, blocks shots and looks awkward doing it all. And he had issues with handling the puck.

Chipchura can distribute the puck. That's a very underrated part of his game. His skating's not great, but his positioning and sense of the game is sound. I like him a fair bit, and I'm looking forward to seeing him in camps this summer to see how he's progressed.

toshiro 05-14-2006 12:15 PM

Quote:

Chip is a better playmaker and very smart. He doesnt have Lindens speed.

toshiro 05-14-2006 12:17 PM

Quote:

He isnt clumsy like Ward and he has very good balance very solid on skates. He is a little like Kirk Muller Or Brian Skrudland.