HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   On year ago... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=253043)

Prendan Brust 05-18-2006 07:11 AM

On year ago...

If someone dared to suggest the final four would be Anaheim, Edmonton, Carolina and Buffalo I think he would have been laughed off the board. There are no definite in Hockey!

Discuss...

beowulf 05-18-2006 07:12 AM

I think this is what the NHL calls parity. ....good thing? Maybe but do not tell that to NBC.

Prendan Brust 05-18-2006 07:12 AM

That's a great thing IMO.

beowulf 05-18-2006 07:15 AM

The problem is that in the Excited States you are not going to get to many people watching these games on NBC which is going to hurt the sport even more. As much as I hate the Rangers or Detroit, a team like that might have helped the ratings.

Matrix 05-18-2006 07:49 AM

It's like calling people names because of their trade proposals......

Prendan Brust 05-18-2006 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beowulf
The problem is that in the Excited States you are not going to get to many people watching these games on NBC which is going to hurt the sport even more. As much as I hate the Rangers or Detroit, a team like that might have helped the ratings.

I haven't thought about it this way, you raise a good point. Hockey might be financially better served when a us team from a big market is in but still that's more exciting to see these young teams breaking out.

VirginiaMtlExpat 05-18-2006 09:18 AM

My feeling is that too much of the game revolves around goaltending, and although I know it isn't a purist's view, I'd consider implementing the near-elliptical goals (the ones with the curved cross-bar and posts) that the league has considered briefly. How's that for a contrarian's contribution to the discussion?

Capitano 05-18-2006 09:19 AM

As crazy as it sounds...we actually had a chance this year.... :madfire:

I hate Justin Williams.

Cap

22SteveBegin22 05-18-2006 09:26 AM

You're right that in the short run, a big-market US team like NYR or Philly or Detroit would help the NBC ratings, but long-term, I think you could say this is what's best for the NHL.

The Rangers/Bruins/Flyers/Wings/Avs/etc. already have big fan bases and a high profile in their cities, get more local media coverage, sell out games, sell merchandise, etc. It's cities like Raleigh and Anaheim where the NHL still has a lot of growth potential. They're not "traditional" hockey markets, but a team getting this deep into the playoffs is a step in the right direction toward building a hockey fan base there (I don't count Buffalo, because the Sabres are already a big deal there--their only problem is that it's a relatively small market).

VirginiaMtlExpat 05-18-2006 09:27 AM

I also think that the league could be waay more proactive in preventing injuries, so that the star players keep playing. If you put a contrarian engineer at the helm of the league (I know where to find one), he would mandate research on spring-loaded boards that have more give than the current boards (use biomechanical simulations to test out various models), cutting down on needless shoulder, neck and head injuries, and he would have players wear at least a 3/4 visor plus a boxer-type mouth guard: all of them. If the league wants to keep fights in the game, fine, make the visors removable. Keep the mouth guard at all costs (boxers do: that should tell you something). Virtually eliminate concussions and eye injuries via facial trauma.

You'd have Palffy still playing. Havlat would not have missed all this time. Cole's neck would probably have recovered by now. Lindros might be as good as he was when he was young. And so on. Name recognition would be much higher among viewers.

HabsoluteFate 05-18-2006 10:47 AM

One year ago later this week I thought I was dying....kidney stone...
now that was "fun".

One thing about this year there is a 75% chance that a team that has never won the Stanley Cup wins it