HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   OT: Champion's League Final (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=253089)

VirginiaMtlExpat 05-18-2006 10:35 AM

OT: Champion's League Final

Anyone see the Champion's League final yesterday?

Barcelona's 11 beat Arsenal's 10, after the goalie Jens Lehman got red-carded for tackling Eto'o as he was dribbling by him for the open goal. The ref blew the play dead even though Eto'o somehow got the ball to Giuly who put it in. No goal.

It was a good result ultimately, given that Barcelona's first goal should have counted on the basis of advantage, with two late Barcelona goals to Arsenal's one.

I was watching it in a sports bar in Leipzig full of passionate soccer fans, having a cigar (got a box of Montecristos from a Cuban guy at work who has connections with the factory), cognac, and a few Kostritzer black beers. That's as good as it gets, short of tickets to the game in Paris.

Freaky Habs Fan 05-18-2006 10:42 AM

I saw the last 25 minutes or so...not a big soccer fans but this was a huge game so I made an exeption. I'm now wondering if the Arsenal goaltender who had the red card would have made the save on the two Barcelona goals...

Nihilism 05-18-2006 10:45 AM

This ref had to be a Barcelona fan too because the call on Lehmann was weak.

Habs 4 Life 05-18-2006 10:45 AM

I just saw the first 20 minutes last night I already knew that Barcelona had won 2-1 but I wanted to see the red card infraction.That sucks,the ref should have let them play on and give the goal but no red cards.The game would have been much better.Anyways did not care who won that game but in a way im happy Barcelona won.

Forza Milan :yo:

Qui Gon Dave 05-18-2006 10:46 AM

It's a shame Arsenal played so much of the game with 10 men. If Jens hadn't been sent off, Arsenal wouldn't have had to rely on Henry running around on his own so much and if he gets that chance with about 20 minutes to go and he isn't completely exhausted then i think he tucks that one into the back of the net. But anyways, its over now. Congrats to Barca for the win, they put together a good campaign. Shame Ronaldinho wasn't a bit more spectacular after all that build up but i doubt he is too fussed about his play this morning.

Habsruleen 05-18-2006 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nihilism

I disagree. He clearly grabbed the attacker's ankle and by doing so tried to prevent a goal, being the last man back. As such, a red card is warranted IMO.

Roy G Biv* 05-18-2006 10:47 AM

Wenger and Henry were saying that Eto'o's goal was offside (the one that counted). They said that it was apparent on TV replays..

So I guess Arsenal got screwed.

Qui Gon Dave 05-18-2006 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zamboner
Wenger and Henry were saying that Eto'o's goal was offside (the one that counted). They said that it was apparent on TV replays..

A bit. But the decision was close and i can understand how the linesman missed it. I was more annoyed with the inconsistency of calls regarding fouls. A guy goes through the back of Henry and nothing was called. Before that, any little incident seemed to favour Barca. In the second half, the Barca player that got booked for the challenge on Ljungberg got the ball (it looked like it to me at any rate). He had commited other fouls that should have been called before then but the one he got called on i thought was a good tackle.

J-D 05-18-2006 10:54 AM

The game was good to watch but the officiating sucked for both sides.

By the way, Kostritzer is one special beer. Love the taste. :cheers:

Shabutie 05-18-2006 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nihilism

How so? It was the proper call, although the goal should've been awarded and Lehman should've got the card (stated in the rule book). He was the only thing between Eto'o and an open net and he grabbed Eto'o's ankle. That's a red card. He should've awarded the goal though.

Roy G Biv* 05-18-2006 10:55 AM

I thought the ref should have played advantage on the red card incident...

I'm proud of Arsenal... good gritty effort.

The game would have been a great one 11 on 11.

Unfortunately, I think Henry may have played his last game for Wenger.

Shabutie 05-18-2006 10:55 AM

Quote:

Personally I rewatched it like 25 times (bad angle though) and to me it looks like Eto'o was perfectly on line with Cole when the pass was made. I didn't see an offside. It was very very marginal if it was though.

Habsruleen 05-18-2006 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave
A bit. But the decision was close and i can understand how the linesman missed it. I was more annoyed with the inconsistency of calls regarding fouls. A guy goes through the back of Henry and nothing was called. Before that, any little incident seemed to favour Barca. In the second half, the Barca player that got booked for the challenge on Ljungberg got the ball (it looked like it to me at any rate). He had commited other fouls that should have been called before then but the one he got called on i thought was a good tackle.

It's a good thing that non-call wasn't by the linesman who was pictured with a Barca shirt on this week ;) What a moron.

Shabutie 05-18-2006 10:59 AM

Oh and even if it the first goal was proven to be offside, it still would only make up for Eboue's dive that led to the first goal. God, that made me feel stupid for being a soccer fan.

eddy 05-18-2006 11:04 AM

I saw the whole game. I was really disapointed on the refs decision red-carding Lehmann. IMO he should have allowed Barce the goal kept Lehmann in the game and at 11 a side for each squad. Ruined the match IMO, but still ended up being a decent game.

Roy G Biv* 05-18-2006 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shabutie
Oh and even if it the first goal was proven to be offside, it still would only make up for Eboue's dive that led to the first goal. God, that made me feel stupid for being a soccer fan.

You're just bitter that Man U didn't get Ballack ;)

Almunia was great, and then let in two garbage goals.

I think he went to the Lalime school of goaltending.

habfan4 05-18-2006 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eddy
I saw the whole game. I was really disapointed on the refs decision red-carding Lehmann. IMO he should have allowed Barce the goal kept Lehmann in the game and at 11 a side for each squad. Ruined the match IMO, but still ended up being a decent game.

I agree, sending Lehmann off basically decided the match.

Barca playing keep away with 10 minutes left as an exhausted Henry chased the ball was painful to watch. Brilliant subsitution putting in Larsson late in the game though.

Shabutie 05-18-2006 11:23 AM

Quote:

You're just bitter that Man U didn't get Ballack ;)

Almunia was great, and then let in two garbage goals.

I think he went to the Lalime school of goaltending.

No I'm just laughing, cuz I think Henry's played his last game for Arsenal. I thought he had a great game yesterday and apparently he kept telling Wenger to switch Hleb, but he didn't listen and instead switched Fabergas (WHY?). I'd really like to know what he was talking to Eto'o about after the game.

Habsruleen 05-18-2006 11:33 AM

Let's add some fuel shall we ;) (even though I agree with the red)
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...368318&cc=5901

Shabutie 05-18-2006 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habsruleen
Let's add some fuel shall we ;) (even though I agree with the red)
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...368318&cc=5901

Both calls were acceptable, but it would have been a better game (for both teams) if he played the advantage. If Arsenal had won with 10 players, they wouldn't be bringing it up.