HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Criteria for a new Dman (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=253146)

Teufelsdreck 05-18-2006 03:13 PM

Criteria for a new Dman

I'll keep it simple. He has to be effective against speedy teams like Buffalo and Carolina.

habfan4 05-18-2006 03:20 PM

First name that comes to mind is Kim Johnsson. (His injury history would be the only knock against him)

Russeltown 05-18-2006 03:22 PM

Balanced between Offense and Defense, who can be effective against speedy teams.

AH 05-18-2006 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sYn
Balanced between Offense and Defense, who can be effective against speedy teams.

A good puck moving defenseman who can skate with the puck and pass the puck well. Someone who makes good decisions with little time.

AD 05-18-2006 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AH
A good puck moving defenseman who can skate with the puck and pass the puck well. Someone who makes good decisions with little time.

A good puck moving defenseman who can skate with the puck and pass the puck well. Someone who makes good decisions with little time. With offensive talent and defensive awareness. Additionally, he has to be effective against speedy teams.

type_v 05-18-2006 03:31 PM

We cannot possibly settle for anything less than probable Norris candidate/winner. ;)

sXe 05-18-2006 03:41 PM

A good puck moving defenseman who can skate with the puck and pass the puck well. Someone who makes good decisions with little time. With offensive talent and defensive awareness. Additionally, he has to be effective against speedy teams and at a reasonnable salary that fits into our salary structure so somewhere around 3M to 4M$ for a first-pairing and 2.5-3 for a second pairing d-man.

LeHab 05-18-2006 03:43 PM

Bring back Brisebois ;)

tinyzombies 05-18-2006 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habfan4
First name that comes to mind is Kim Johnsson. (His injury history would be the only knock against him)

He coughs the puck up way too much.

Kubina is my man. Give him the big bucks and pair him up with Markov.

Markov-Kubina
Rivet-Komisarek
Souray-Dandenault

I think Rivet would be better on the left side. It would simplify his game (which he needs to stick to) and Komi's size would help him out in front of the net. Problem is, both have a tendency to stare at the play and not clear the net.

Dropping Souray to the third pair would be awesome for us. Dandenault's speed could cover up for him and his size could compliment Dandy's grit. Can't keep both Bouillon AND Dandenault imo. One or the other. I would love it if they could move Dandy, but that will be hard with that contract.

Markov and Kubina would be a dream pairing imo.

This makes us better down low, but doesn't improve our ability to move the puck tho.....

Bob Bastards 05-18-2006 03:46 PM

Bobby Orr or a clone of Doug Harvey...

habfan4 05-18-2006 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raketheleaves
He coughs the puck up way too much.

Kubina is my man. Give him the big bucks and pair him up with Markov.

Markov-Kubina
Rivet-Komisarek
Souray-Dandenault

I think Rivet would be better on the left side. It would simplify his game (which he needs to stick to) and Komi's size would help him out in front of the net. Problem is, both have a tendency to stare at the play and not clear the net.

Dropping Souray to the third pair would be awesome for us. Dandenault's speed could cover up for him and his size could compliment Dandy's grit. Can't keep both Bouillon AND Dandenault imo. One or the other. I would love it if they could move Dandy, but that will be hard with that contract.

Markov and Kubina would be a dream pairing imo.

This makes us better down low, but doesn't improve our ability to move the puck tho.....

I think you're overstating Johnsson's giveaways. That being said, I would have no problems with the Habs grabbing Kubina. :D

Jeffrey 05-18-2006 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aymand
A good puck moving defenseman who can skate with the puck and pass the puck well. Someone who makes good decisions with little time. With offensive talent and defensive awareness. Additionally, he has to be effective against speedy teams.

That look a lot like Scott Niedermayer !

Bronn 05-18-2006 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sXe
A good puck moving defenseman who can skate with the puck and pass the puck well. Someone who makes good decisions with little time. With offensive talent and defensive awareness. Additionally, he has to be effective against speedy teams and at a reasonnable salary that fits into our salary structure so somewhere around 3M to 4M$ for a first-pairing and 2.5-3 for a second pairing d-man.

Dan Boyle ?? :dunno:

I know that he's not UFA but he pretty much fit that description imo.

sXe 05-18-2006 04:34 PM

He also has to be no older than 30 or 32 at most.

AD 05-18-2006 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sXe
He also has to be no older than 30 or 32 at most.

And he has to be blond.

AH 05-18-2006 04:39 PM

A good puck moving defenseman who can skate with the puck and pass the puck well. Someone who makes good decisions with little time. With offensive talent and defensive awareness. Additionally, he has to be effective against speedy teams and at a reasonnable salary that fits into our salary structure so somewhere around 3M to 4M$ for a first-pairing and 2.5-3 for a second pairing d-man. And ideally, if he could be a pure laine Quebecois, that would be great. This will appease some of the xenophobic fans and media and they would stop whining that we have a lack of Francos on the team.

5 man unit 05-18-2006 04:40 PM

He has to be better than Bouillon.

Gros Bill 05-18-2006 04:46 PM

A good "defensive" defenseman, doesn't get beat one-on-one, good first pass, mean streak, occasional monster hits. Someone kinda like Craig Ludwig.

habfan4 05-18-2006 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gros Bill
A good "defensive" defenseman, doesn't get beat one-on-one, good first pass, mean streak, occasional monster hits. Someone kinda like Craig Ludwig.

Ah good old Craig Ludwig, now that's large shin pads to fill. :D

sXe 05-18-2006 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aymand
And he has to be blond.

He can't be better looking than Souray though.

LePoche69 05-18-2006 05:04 PM

I'll keep it simple like it is asked.

He has to be better all around than one of our current d-man. That's it. The team will then be better.

Gros Bill 05-18-2006 05:04 PM

Quote:

lol, practically goalie pads. I always wondered how he could skate with such cumbersome equipment. He could change the momentum of a game with a big hit, though, and was a good shut-down guy.

Plus, he was blond.

tinyzombies 05-18-2006 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sXe
He can't be better looking than Souray though.

I would settle for someone quick and ugly. :D

Kim Johnsson would be exactly what we need assuming he doesn't cough up the puck. I always had the impression that he was a bigger Brisebois.

greatlakeshab 05-18-2006 05:50 PM

Quote:

Those were shin pads? I thought he was using Dryden's old goalie pads :biglaugh:

Watsatheo 05-18-2006 05:52 PM

how about philip kuba, danny markov, kim johnsson, and ruslen salei? i wouldn't mind one of them on our team.