HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Need Heritage Tickets? Call your MLA. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=25341)

Slats432 11-04-2003 05:52 AM

Need Heritage Tickets? Call your MLA.

Free tickets for MLAs

http://www.canada.com/edmonton/story...F-F61CAD9E1655

I can understand the Mayor and the Premier and a couple of cronies but the entire government seems a bit much.

LawnDemon 11-04-2003 06:06 AM

but they do so much hard work for us and deserve to be given the... *cough* ... *choke* ... *hack* ...

well, i almost managed to get through that with a straight face... :mad:

thome_26 11-04-2003 06:18 AM

Hey, I'm all for it. We should invite the federal government! Kiss their a$ses so that maybe they will be more willing to help out the strugling Canadian teams.

dawgbone 11-04-2003 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thome_26
Hey, I'm all for it. We should invite the federal government! Kiss their a$ses so that maybe they will be more willing to help out the strugling Canadian teams.

That actually isn't a bad idea...

I mean, they line up at the concession stand, and see all that GST ringing up...

oilflash 11-04-2003 07:58 AM

I'm digusted!

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawgbone
That actually isn't a bad idea...

I mean, they line up at the concession stand, and see all that GST ringing up...

Well that article and what the Oiler's management did just makes me mad. Greedy politicians getting to go to the Heritage Classic for free when lots of us real hockey fans who tried really hard to get tickets were so disappointed. It is enough to make me cry and scream with anger.:cry::madfire::rant:

dawgbone 11-04-2003 08:05 AM

Like it or not... the Oilers not only have to appease their fans, but they have to showcase this to politicians as well.

As unfortunate as it is, it may get to the point where the politicians are as equally important to keeping this team alive as the fan base...

dawgbone 11-04-2003 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilflash
Well that article and what the Oiler's management did just makes me mad. Greedy politicians getting to go to the Heritage Classic for free when lots of us real hockey fans who tried really hard to get tickets were so disappointed. It is enough to make me cry and scream with anger.:cry::madfire::rant:

You should really find out how much some of the lower end politicians make before you call them greedy.

My sister is in much the same capacity as a lot of the people who are getting invited, and I guarantee you she is nothing in terms of greedy, as she does a lot more work for a lot less pay than I would ever consider doing.

oilflash 11-04-2003 08:23 AM

Quote:

You should really find out how much some of the lower end politicians make before you call them greedy.

My sister is in much the same capacity as a lot of the people who are getting invited, and I guarantee you she is nothing in terms of greedy, as she does a lot more work for a lot less pay than I would ever consider doing.

She should ask for, maybe demand a raise, rather than being compromised by receiving a handout!

Slats432 11-04-2003 08:27 AM

Quote:

She should ask for, maybe demand a raise not be compromised by a handout.

Hey, don't get it personal or else you are going to be in the wrong...let's let this one die.

dawgbone 11-04-2003 08:29 AM

Quote:

She should ask for, maybe demand a raise not be compromised by a handout.

what?

oilflash 11-04-2003 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slats432
Hey, don't get it personal or else you are going to be in the wrong...let's let this one die.

I am a women who works hard to earn respect as I work hard to earn a living. When something is wrong it is wrong for everyone whether it is you, your family or your friends who benefit.

For me stinky politics is personal and I would hope our elected officials would take it personal as well, and do the honorable thing by not accepting these tickets. I can only watch wait and make my vote count come election day! I have just decided not to buy the pay for view telecast of today's game to protest my position so the the Oiler's management might realize that fans should come first and not be left out in the cold ticketless.:mad:

dawgbone 11-04-2003 08:55 AM

Quote:

I am a women who works hard to earn respect as I work hard to earn a living. When something is wrong it is wrong for everyone whether it is you, your family or your friends who benefit.

For me stinky politics is personal and I would hope our elected officials would take it personal as well, and do the honorable thing by not accepting these tickets. I can only watch wait and make my vote count come election day! I have just decided not to buy the pay for view telecast of today's game to protest my position so the the Oiler's management might realize that fans should come first and not be left out in the cold ticketless.:mad:

And I am sure the Oilers will miss your $10.95 tonight.

And why would politicians take it personally? Some of them work very hard for their communities, and for them to be recognized for it once or twice by getting 2 tickets to a hockey game is far from the worst thing that could happen.

oilflash 11-04-2003 09:03 AM

Quote:

And I am sure the Oilers will miss your $10.95 tonight.

And why would politicians take it personally? Some of them work very hard for their communities, and for them to be recognized for it once or twice by getting 2 tickets to a hockey game is far from the worst thing that could happen.

I'd love to argue but it's lunchtime and I'm hungry ... Goodbye.

LawnDemon 11-04-2003 09:19 AM

it's obvious that the only way to settle this debate is to raise taxes 10% in order to pay for a committee to discuss raising taxes another 5% to pay for a committee to discuss whether or not it's appropriate to hand out free tickets to MLAs.

oh, we'll also have to postpone the event for 18 months because, apparently, it takes that long to think.

dawgbone - i'm glad your sister is altruistic. it really is nice to hear about good people in politics (typically an oxymoron). keep encouraging her to stay the course.

in the meantime, i've never met a politician that didn't spew buzzwords and double-talk at me. frankly, every politician i've ever met made me want to smash out their gigantic shiny teeth with a tire iron.

it's so painfully obvious that these tickets are "expected" (read: extorted) rather than rewarded... a reward would be giving them an early opportunity to buy any available (not special reserved) tickets before making them available to everyone else.

OYLer 11-04-2003 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnDemon
... it's so painfully obvious that these tickets are "expected" (read: extorted) rather than rewarded... a reward would be giving them an early opportunity to buy any available (not special reserved) tickets before making them available to everyone else.

I see you are a "danger bay" kinda' guy. Can't say I like your Avatar even though I'm a dog preferring person, a little too surreal for my tastes, but you have nailed the free-loading politicians to the cross with your incisive observations.

I have just now re-read the attached article and I think I'm definitely on oilflash's side of this smelly and befouled debate. I too hope that the honest politicians might insist on paying for their tickets and then donate said tickets to the less fortunate. I'd forgo standing in line for this honourable handout. Often I use http://dictionary.reference.com/ to check my spellings. When I input "stinky" one definition read as follows: "To have the appearance of dishonesty or corruption." :p

Slats432 11-04-2003 12:44 PM

Quote:

My problem is that went you point your sword towards other posters/posters family then it is personal. It is an attack on another poster. If your comment was "If politicians need rewards from private corporations then they should ask for a raise and buy their tickets." I have no problem.

Your suggestion about dawgbone's sister was where I didn't want the disagreement to go.(It starts getting personal) I am sure it wasn't intended that way...but I was trying to make sure it didn't get worse.

dawgbone 11-04-2003 12:55 PM

Quote:

My problem is that went you point your sword towards other posters/posters family then it is personal. It is an attack on another poster. If your comment was "If politicians need rewards from private corporations then they should ask for a raise and buy their tickets." I have no problem.

Your suggestion about dawgbone's sister was where I didn't want the disagreement to go.(It starts getting personal) I am sure it wasn't intended that way...but I was trying to make sure it didn't get worse.

My problem is that everyone hears politician, and they immediately think thousand $$ suits paid for by the taxpayer, limo rides to the corner store, only doing it for the glory of seeing their face on national t.v., saying one thing, doing another, etc...

It isn't the case for all of them, and for the most part, a very small %... especially when you are talking about people at the municipal level, where people are doing it, once again for the most part, because they want to help out thier community and make it a better place.

Just remember, that as much as you want to hate some of these people, someone has to do this job, and unless you have lined up to try and do it, I really suggest that you be careful how you speak of them, because it is the good ones who will take it personally...

OYLer 11-05-2003 09:11 AM

Quote:

In all fairness to oilflash, two salient points need clarification here:
  1. dawgbone when he stated, "My sister is in much the same capacity as a lot of the people who are getting invited, and I guarantee you she is nothing in terms of greedy, as she does a lot more work for a lot less pay than I would ever consider doing." initiated the personal tenor to the discussion;
  2. And if, she holds public office and accepted tickets as a representative and/or as the result of offical governmental duties she is fair game as a public figure. oilflash was not attacking dawgbone or his sister personally but the office she represents and the duty to ethics that reside therein.
As much as I enjoy hockey other realities are of more import. I would not agree to have my Edmonton property taxes increased to keep the Oilers franchise in Edmonton, nor would I want the provincial gov't spending our tax dollars to support the Oilers when those same dollars would be better spent in our schools and hospitals. Politicians are elected and dutied to manage our tax dollars and protect the public interest.

In any swearing in statement to assume and perform the duties of an elected or appointed governmental office, show me where it says:
"I fervently planned to accept all gratuitous offerings, perks, and payoffs; to stick my head as deeply into the pork barreling troughs of Special Interests, inspite of how it may appear to and/or actually compromise me in my ability to carry out the duties of this office."
As a capitalist, what I abhor the most is Corporate Welfare!

Since this is a hockey forum I will not speak to this issue again, unless it becomes topical because of another hockey related issue.

Hemmer 11-05-2003 09:41 AM

Personally, I consider this to be disgusting. I would have been willing to stand outside for three days in -20 weather to get tickets to that game, and I didn't even get the CHOICE to do that. The heavy-handed nature in which the Oilers organization is monopolizing this great event really bothers me. They want to make this great big thing, take hockey "back to its roots" - yet they won't even allow hockeys roots to come watch the f**kin game. Instead, they won't even give you the privalege to purchase tickets unless you are already into them for a couple grand, or have something to do with politics, which could be a nice little bargaining chip for the Oilers in the future. Oh yeah. Forgot about the "contest" they held. Yay. 1750 tickets. I bet some of the people who are currently in possesion of tickets to this game aren't even hockey fans but socialites, debutantes and wealthy executives who wipe their arses with silk TP. What about all those kids who freeze their toes off 7 days a week to strap on the blades and stay outside till their noses fall off? That is the heartland of hockey folks...and sadly, we aren't invited.

Maybe we can watch it on PPV...for 69.95...

As of right now, I will never pay to see the Oilers again. I will still follow the team fervently and with great passion, but I am not giving that team another cent to sit in the Coliseum and watch Eric Brewer give the puck away. I am an Oilers fan on a budget, one which the Oilers have just been cut right out of.

:madfire:

barto 11-05-2003 10:46 AM

It's hard to imagine a situation that would have pleased everyone here, though. If season's ticket holders don't get priority, then that's not very fair either. 2000 tickets to local charities sounds good to me, and I don't even mind our civic politicians (councillors) getting tickets. Not as sure about MLAs, although it might be a politically astute move.

So there were 6800 tickets left over for the general public, if I recall correctly...now how to distribute those? Ticketmaster has been co-opted by the scalpers, so very few 'regular folk' would have been able to buy those tickets, instead having to go through scalpers at outrageous sums of money. Having a lottery like they did seemed the fairest, where a scalper has *exactly* the same chance of buying tickets as a regular fan, and can only buy 4 max. I would have rather seen a max of one entry per person/address TOTAL, not just for the on-line side, but I'm sure the Journal (as a part owner of the team) enjoyed the higher circulation for those few weeks.

So...yeah, in the end, there weren't enough tickets to go around for everyone who wanted to go (at a 'reasonable' price), but I can't fault the Oilers organization very much for how they've handled it.

Bart
(P.S. - no, I don't have tickets...wish I did)

windowlicker 11-05-2003 09:08 PM

I have a feeling this idea came from the ownership rather than management.

Hemmer 11-06-2003 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by windowlicker
I have a feeling this idea came from the ownership rather than management.

I'm SURE it did. But hey, it's their dollars they've sunk into the team - I guess that gives them the right...

:mad:

creative giant* 11-06-2003 12:31 PM

suddenly i'm beginning to realize why so few tickets were released to the general public.....who knows who else got dibs on tickets first

Hemmer 11-06-2003 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creative giant
suddenly i'm beginning to realize why so few tickets were released to the general public.....who knows who else got dibs on tickets first

Hey creative...CONGRATS ON POST 99!!!!

:yo:

creative giant* 11-06-2003 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hemmer
Hey creative...CONGRATS ON POST 99!!!!

:yo:

didn't even realize it.....:rolly: