HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   I sure hope Price is good (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=253711)

turnbuckle* 05-20-2006 08:50 PM

I sure hope Price is good

I opined last spring that the Habs already had enough undersized centers, and didn't need another. I am man enough to admit I may have been wrong.

It was my opinion at the time that the Habs should draft Marc Staal, but after the initial shock of hearing a goalie's name uttered by Timmins, I still justified the selection given the Habs' need for a potentially elite up-and-coming goalie.

I have defended the Price selection all season, and with aplomb and reason (I think), however I have to admit that every time I've had a chance to watch Gil Brule play this season, I have been impressed, and tonight, after not seeing him play for a couple of months, he has looked positively dominant. He has most certainly shaken off the rust from all of his inactivity, and I have to say I didn't realize just how explosive his skating is.

I am really starting to wonder whether the Habs may have missed out on a gem, a player with the potential to the the Habs best forward. He looks like a grittier, speedier Koivu with a much better shot. We don't have too many like that on the farm.

I still think Brule may have injury concerns in the NHL given his style and size, but it's not like Koivu hasn't, and most Hab fans don't regret the Habs selecting him. I'm pretty sure most also wouldn't mind having a harder hitting and shooting young prospect in the stable either.

Anyway...as I said in the title, I sure hope Price is stellar (as I suspect he will be) , because I'm already certain that Brule is above average.

Biggsy 05-20-2006 08:51 PM

Yeah i do to i was really hoping that we would snag Brule instead but its to bad

Whitesnake 05-20-2006 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turnbuckle
I opined last spring that the Habs already had enough undersized centers, and didn't need another. I am man enough to admit I may have been wrong.

It was my opinion at the time that the Habs should draft Marc Staal, but after the initial shock of hearing a goalie's name uttered by Timmins, I still justified the selection given the Habs' need for a potentially elite up-and-coming goalie.

I have defended the Price selection all season, and with aplomb and reason (I think), however I have to admit that every time I've had a chance to watch Gil Brule play this season, I have been impressed, and tonight, after not seeing him play for a couple of months, he has looked positively dominant. He has most certainly shaken off the rust from all of his inactivity, and I have to say I didn't realize just how explosive his skating is.

I am really starting to wonder whether the Habs may have missed out on a gem, a player with the potential to the the Habs best forward. He looks like a grittier, speedier Koivu with a much better shot. We don't have too many like that on the farm.

I still think Brule may have injury concerns in the NHL given his style and size, but it's not like Koivu hasn't, and most Hab fans don't regret the Habs selecting him. I'm pretty sure most also wouldn't mind having a harder hitting and shooting young prospect in the stable either.

Anyway...as I said in the title, I sure hope Price is stellar (as I suspect he will be) , because I'm already certain that Brule is above average.

Though I'm sure Brule will be a good player, I think Karsums and Marchand were more dominant than him today. To be honest, I was a little dissapointed in him, I may have expected a lot, though was impressed with how easily he won most of his faceoffs, except the most important one, the last one with 13 seconds to go.

I must admit that I didn't want Brule too, my player was Kopitar based on my obsession of a tall and big centerman. But now, I kinda admit Brule most have been the BPA, just hope Price will have a better upcoming year....

turnbuckle* 05-20-2006 09:07 PM

I admit they may have been more dominant when it came to producing tonight, but I don't think they were more dominant when it came to displaying the whole package as a prospect. Brule was exceptional.

Boston must have picked up some decent scouts in the past few years, because suddenly they're not picking Ryabchikovs, Aitkens and Lars Jonssons with high-end picks any more.

Clumsyhab 05-20-2006 10:16 PM

I dunno how good is Price's junior team, but Carey Price never had a winning record. His save% is not bad tho.

Whitesnake 05-20-2006 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clumsyhab
I dunno how good is Price's junior team, but Carey Price never had a winning record. His save% is not bad tho.

It seems that they are not that good. The only thing I'm worried is that whenver the other goalie, a 16 year old, was the goalie from them, he didn't do that bad, and seemed at one point that he was equally as good as Price. Was Pickard that great or was Price not as great as expected. Did they make it that far because of him or in spite of....

But we'll know more next year, hoping Tri-City will be better or hoping they'll trade Price to a better team in order to build some confidence like Pogge had this year.

Habs 05-20-2006 10:28 PM

Quote:

They stink. Price is on a terrible team.

znk 05-20-2006 10:35 PM

Quote:

Bad team.
If you want horrible stats check Patrick Roy's GAA in juniors.

I hope Price turns in to a good goalie too. If he turns in to a top 5 goalie(we can only hope) he'll be worth more then 2 Brule's.

Blind Gardien 05-20-2006 10:35 PM

The thing that bothers me even more than the Habs taking Price over Brule (which doesn't exactly bother me, just makes me get into long meaningless debates on message boards every so often...)

... is that I took Price over Brule in my FHL. I didn't need a goalie. I needed offense. Brule's offense will be in the NHL before Price's goaltending. Brule won me over when he was 16 and if I wasn't a stupid Habs fan, I wouldn't have changed my mind in the draft and abandoned my Brule pick. :banghead: :)

Oh well. I'm pretty sure Brule will be a heckuva player. I'm not sure Price will be, but my fingers are crossed.

Souffle 05-20-2006 10:41 PM

I am not an expert on drafting, but never did I think that the Habs were going to take Price. I even thought they had a longshot at Johnson because I figured that Carolina would be willing to trade down to get Staal.

Habs management must've seen something they didn't like in Brule. It must've been something big to offset his evident upside. If it was only because they didn't want another small center, then that pick somewhat undermines the BPA theory.

Maybe I'm selling Price short. I've always been ambivalent about the pick. Part of it is just impatience. Goalies take a while to develop, but when they do, there is no one more valuable. In the meantime, there's the disappointment of him not making the WJCs. It imparts a sense of bad development and unfulfilled potential. In the big picture, it's not a big deal. But again, there's just an impatience as Brule and Staal have already been pencilled into the starting line-up next year.

Blind Gardien 05-20-2006 10:46 PM

Well, on the Brule-Price-BPA debate, I will add that I think the Habs are *seriously* into evaluating the character and perceived maturity of their picks now, and Chipchura and Price got big BPA points from them on that score, while the seemingly ultra-talented types like Brule and Wolski might have taken hits. For all that Brule goes through walls and plays hard, he did have quite a rep last year for selfishness and a bit of negative team spirit. Whether it was justified or not, nobody will ever be able to say. But if the Habs got that vibe, I can see them just bumping him down on their list for that reason a whole lot more than the small-centre position reason. :dunno:

znk 05-20-2006 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davedave
I am not an expert on drafting, but never did I think that the Habs were going to take Price. I even thought they had a longshot at Johnson because I figured that Carolina would be willing to trade down to get Staal.

Habs management must've seen something they didn't like in Brule. It must've been something big to offset his evident upside. If it was only because they didn't want another small center, then that pick somewhat undermines the BPA theory.

Maybe I'm selling Price short. I've always been ambivalent about the pick. Part of it is just impatience. Goalies take a while to develop, but when they do, there is no one more valuable. In the meantime, there's the disappointment of him not making the WJCs. It imparts a sense of bad development and unfulfilled potential. In the big picture, it's not a big deal. But again, there's just an impatience as Brule and Staal have already been pencilled into the starting line-up next year.

I think you put your finger on it right there.

Mathletic 05-20-2006 11:03 PM

for me, Brule didn't dominate the game tonight. Yes he played well and was outstanding at winning faceoffs and went head first into anybody moving but hey he isn't anything close to what Radulov offered yesterday or any other offensive "specimen" should offer on a big stage. I know he's 100% different than Radulov but a good offensive player should standout in a game like this. Even more so because Moncton looked like midgets tonight.

Like I said in the Mem. thread, IMO there's no doubt that Chipchura will win those faceoffs and for hits well, you don't need a n'5 pick overall to just hit, a n'5 pick at forward has to provide some big time offense and I'm really not sure if Brule will do that in the NHL.

montreal 05-20-2006 11:50 PM

I could see Brule being the better NHLer, he does look good in juniors. But while I haven't been overly impressed with what I've seen from Price, I still have faith that down the road he will be an important part of the team. So while Brule could end up being one of the top players from the draft, I'd be happy just to get a very good NHLer out of Price, especially when we got some interesting picks from that draft, that hopefully we will get something out of as well. (not all of them and not all with the Habs, but help on the farm helps the organization as well)

Freaky Habs Fan 05-21-2006 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
Well, on the Brule-Price-BPA debate, I will add that I think the Habs are *seriously* into evaluating the character and perceived maturity of their picks now, and Chipchura and Price got big BPA points from them on that score, while the seemingly ultra-talented types like Brule and Wolski might have taken hits. For all that Brule goes through walls and plays hard, he did have quite a rep last year for selfishness and a bit of negative team spirit. Whether it was justified or not, nobody will ever be able to say. But if the Habs got that vibe, I can see them just bumping him down on their list for that reason a whole lot more than the small-centre position reason. :dunno:

really really good point here...Gainey clearly wants to change the face of the team and he will do it. If we want to be a good team, we need more character. This year was a great start...we just need to keep going.

Mike8 05-21-2006 03:33 AM

I think injury issues may have scared a few teams off of Brule. No team wants a Koivu-type issue: star player, excellent when playing, but will he be healthy come crunch time?

This has diminished Forsberg's value over time as well (IMO).

Anyway, I was largely disappointed in the Price pick. I still would have preferred Brule. But we'll see how things work out.

Rez 05-21-2006 03:35 AM

If not, you guys can always bring over Heino.

Artyukhin* 05-21-2006 04:17 AM

Brule is going to get killed in the nhl .....no questions asked.
injury filled carreer you watch and see ...retired before he is 25
already a fractured sternum and a broken leg after 7 nhl games. aweful fragile mixing it up with the big boys playing that style

gainey was smart to take price.
just look around at the teams today that need a goalie .
this" trend " will only get worse .

then just think in 5 years time all the goalies that will be gone
(broduer , belfour, hasek, joseph .burke ,roloson osgood, khabibulin

then your left with

manny fernandez will be 37 years old
theodore will be 35
kipper will be 35
giguire will be 35
toskala will be 35
gerber will be 36
weeekes will be 35
huet will be 36
turco will be 36
thomas will be 37
cloutier will be 35
nabokov will be 35
thibault wil be 35

gainey did something that wasnt popular but in my eyes was darn smart.

there is going to be a goalie crisis coming in the next 5 years .
price is a investment lets judge it in 5 years time when he is still only 23 ....

we can always pick up the fowards in the free agent poool ....

hockeyfan125 05-21-2006 04:42 AM

Quote:

Price is the only reason that his team is decent. They leave him out to dry basically every game.

Rather Gingerly 1* 05-21-2006 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turnbuckle

I got to agree. Brule looks like a franchise player. Kind of reminds me of a Wendel Clark type at center.

Did anybody say we need a #2 center next year?

Teufelsdreck 05-21-2006 06:56 AM

After watching Ryan Miller and Cam Ward, I'm more convinced than ever that the Habs will need a sparkling young goaltender, especially a big one, in a few years. They can have all the BrulÚs in the world and still go down to defeat in a lot of games. All this talk of finding one on the cheap or in the back end of the draft when the need arises seems to me to be just idle flapping of the gums.

jcpenny 05-21-2006 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck
After watching Ryan Miller and Cam Ward, I'm more convinced than ever that the Habs will need a sparkling young goaltender, especially a big one, in a few years. They can have all the BrulÚs in the world and still go down to defeat in a lot of games. All this talk of finding one on the cheap or in the back end of the draft when the need arises seems to me to be just idle flapping of the gums.

Very good point.

Psycho Papa Joe 05-21-2006 07:52 AM

My opinion on draft day was that the Habs should have traded down to around the 10 spot, picked up an additional asset and picked Stall or Bourdon if still available. I also believe Price would have been there at the 10 spot in such a senario.

Habs 4 Life 05-21-2006 09:26 AM

I really hope Price is the real thing,however I have a bad feeling and that we will regret this pick just like many others before

Rather Gingerly 1* 05-21-2006 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck

Really though how much better can Price be than somebody like Huet?