HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Minnesota Wild (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Gaborik Contract Discussion (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=254042)

ceber 05-22-2006 11:58 AM

Gaborik Contract Discussion

5 years, 39 million ---
Remember last time when Feaster signed Richards to a nice fat contract? Our speedy pal said he deserved money similar to what Richards got. Think he's going to make the same claim? Maybe he's already made it...

Wild Thing 05-22-2006 12:34 PM

That is a sobering number. I think the only person in Minnesota who's happy to see that is Gaborik. I would imagine he's doing cartwheels and backflips right about now; his market value just went way, way up.

MePutPuckInNet 05-22-2006 12:55 PM

craziness. didn't we just have a lockout??? what the hell was that for?

Wild Thing 05-22-2006 01:18 PM

I think any chance we had of signing Gaborik to a longterm deal this summer just went up in smoke. He's going to use this contract as his baseline, and there's no way Doug's going to even come close to it. Nor should he. Gaborik will then go to arbitration, using the Richards contract to win a big one-year deal.

Our best shot at signing him to a longterm deal will now be sometime during the coming season. I'm not too sure right now what our chances would be if it comes to that.

Surly Furious 05-22-2006 01:32 PM

Yes, the price just went WAY up for Gaborik. Thanks a lot Feaster :madfire:

IMO there's no way that can't at least approach those numbers if they want to sign Gaborik.

Maybe he'd take an incentive laden contract that potentially could earn him more, but have less up front. At least the Wild would be assured of some bang for their buck that way.

ceber 05-22-2006 01:53 PM

No more incentive contracts like that with the new CBA, are there? I thought it limited incentives significantly.

Realm 05-22-2006 02:22 PM

Tampa will be forced to move one of their big 3, they cant spend 20 million a year on 3 forwards!

Wild Bill 05-22-2006 04:05 PM

Yikes!

I might be all alone on this one, but I say give him a similar deal, hope he plays very well, backload it and see what you can get for him 3-4 years down the road when it truly balloons. His cap number will be the average of the contract and it will be high, but lets face it, I doubt it will ever really matter. When will we be that close to the cap number anyway...and cheapy management can look like they are paying up, when in reallity they are paying market value early on and can dump him for young players and prospects later on when they really gotta shell it out. And everyone comes out looking peachy.

This is not what I'm saying he is worth, but what it would take to make it work. Remember, if he walks for nothing, we get a draft pick...and that's it...I wouldn't mind seeing a Thornton like return 2-3 years from now instead...

The Big E 05-22-2006 05:01 PM

:shakehead

Yup. Figures. I think Gabbie could get that on the open market in the summer of '07, though there might not be that many teams we the cap room to get him. I think that Risebrough will make his first and best offer right around that amount. There is a good chance we'll have him locked up for a long while.

And when in a couple years we hafta cough up some more fat money to PMB, hopefully O'Surly and maybe a few more current prospects, we'll be really glad we've got a good development system and having been relying on players we've developed rather renting more expensive role players and always fighting salary cap problems.

[edit] btw ... can we make this one the official Gabbie contract talks thread? Maybe we could rename it?[/edit]

The Big E

firstroundbust 05-22-2006 08:26 PM

How Gaborik can even compare his situation to Richards is silly...

Richards has increased his point total every year, and Gaborik...well...hasnt.

I've said this before, potential doesnt pay *****...its about hard stats now...and Richards' numbers are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more impressive than Gaborik's.

maybe it is a ploy to extort the signing of more talent to the squad...but on the flip side maybe its for the money.

Tis a shame, I've reached that stage where if he's gonna be a pain in the ***, I dont care what he brings to the ice, get rid of him and bring back a healthy return.

there is nothing more irritating than contract squabbles imo

The Big E 05-22-2006 10:07 PM

There was an interesting post as part of the Richards thread on the NJ boards that this is just an evil ploy by Feaster to force other teams in the East (in particular) to pay their top forwards huge money and basically become 1 line teams. NJ, for example, will likely have to choose between Gomez and Elias. That's a sh***y choice to have to make.

Plus ... I love conspiracy theories.

The Big E

Realm 05-23-2006 01:02 AM

No conspiracy considering they have to pay this money out!

MN_Gopher 05-23-2006 02:13 AM

I hope, well i really hope. That Gaborik will be willing to come down when the wild sign some players. If we add a few guys. Guys that will help and not just fill a need. Like a few major FAs. I think he would be willing to go for 5 years at 30-34 mil. Which for that price i would blame the wild for not signing him. At closer to 40 mil i say Gabby is too greedy.

Rabid Husky 05-23-2006 03:00 AM

MAJOR overpayment....and FU Feaster...I thought contracts like this weren't supposed to happen anymore

ceber 05-23-2006 07:38 AM

Minor blurb.. nothing new, but it's coverage.. in Walters' column:
http://www.twincities.com/mld/twinci...s/14643600.htm
Quote:

Tampa Bay Lightning forward Brad Richards' new five-year, $39 million deal that averages $7.8 million a year will be used by some as a guideline for contract negotiations involving Wild forward Marian Gaborik. Gaborik, whose NHL service time is nearly identical to Richards, can become a restricted free agent July 1.

However, Richards has been a more productive player than Gaborik. The top player as a Canadian junior, Richards was on the NHL all-rookie team as the highest-scoring first-year player and won the Conn Smythe Trophy as the top scorer in the NHL playoffs when the Lightning won the Stanley Cup in 2004.

This season, Richards finished 12th in NHL scoring with 91 points in 82 games. Gaborik, who missed 17 games because of complications from a groin injury, had 66 points in 65 games.

Gaborik was paid $3.525 million this season. The Wild have offered $27.5 million for five years. If Gaborik opts for arbitration or settles for a one-year deal for next season, he can expect about $4.5 million, but can become an unfettered free agent the following year, when he might be able to land a deal worth about $7 million annually. Anyone who believes he could get more than that would be hallucinating.

Both sides are gambling; the Wild haven't increased their five-year offer and Gaborik's representation hasn't countered.

ceber 05-23-2006 10:30 AM

More fun:
http://www.startribune.com/1330/story/449004.html

Salcer:

Quote:

"Marian is a great player. He's only one man. It's up to an organization to build a team."
Quote:

"A player of this caliber -- a franchise, type of player who can turn an organization into a whole other level"
Good stuff.

MePutPuckInNet 05-23-2006 10:57 AM

"A player of this caliber -- a franchise, type of player who can turn an organization into a whole other level"

Ok. Then.....why hasn't he?

ceber 05-23-2006 11:09 AM

Obviously because we're not paying him enough. C'mon man... sheesh. :D

Surly Furious 05-23-2006 11:55 AM

Well, if anything, this should end the Wild's practice of signing 18-19 year olds and assigning them to the pressbox half the time.

So we get their formative, unproductive years, but when they mature into elite players, we lose them.

Stupid situation.

sushinsky4tsar 05-23-2006 06:42 PM

If the Richards deal sets off an avalanche of similar contracts around the NHL, then maybe it's time to make another amendment to the 5-yr plan:

*Trade Gaborik to a team in the West, (preferably the NW) for prospects and draft choices. OR better yet, do sign him to a long-term deal and FRONT-load the contract since we'll still be well under the cap anyways.

*Don't sign any UFAs to deals longer than 2 years.

*Sit back and watch with glee for the next half decade as every GM around the league runs their respective franchise into salary cap hell w/ 50 million- 4 year deal after 40 million- 5year deal.

*Yes, Xcel will look like a Swarm game for the next 5 years or so, but the payoff:

MINNESOTA WILD- GREATEST HOCKEY DYNASTY SINCE THE MTL CANADIENS
STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS 2013-2020, THE TEAM OF THE TEENS!!!!!! They'll do it by being the only team in the league w/ enough cap room to sign A- players to so much as 1.5MM/yr contracts. Our first cup team will consist of (12) 30-goal scorers and Darek Boogaard. The 12/13 Wild will also have 6 marginal #1 defensemen, and a #2 defenseman as our healthy scratch. With the profits ownership has raked in over the franchise's first decade of play, they will be able to biogenetically engineer a fully grown adult male with a 6' wide by 4' high midsection, promptly draft him with our #1 overall pick in the 2010 draft, and peg him as our goaltender of the future. NOTE: JL will try unsuccessfully to convert Wally Blachman to a forechecking winger several times, switching from winger, back to goalie, and then back to wing, before finally settling on using him as a goalie. .......who sometimes plays wing when injuries hit the front lines.

-OR-

The league will die by 2012.

Wild Bill 05-23-2006 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bookman
Well, if anything, this should end the Wild's practice of signing 18-19 year olds and assigning them to the pressbox half the time.

So we get their formative, unproductive years, but when they mature into elite players, we lose them.

Stupid situation.

Great points, except for the fact that we desperately needed an instant face for the franchise and of course the whole talent level thing...prolly will see "marginal" players being brought along slower due to these possibilities.

mnhockeyfan 05-25-2006 01:06 PM

Is Gabby worth the money Richards got? No. And look at the stats if you want proof. Good luck in arbitrtation Gabby. :shakehead

Gabby's numbers.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...id%5B%5D=51238

Richards numbers.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...id%5B%5D=35725

No further questions your honor. ;)

DRReclusive 05-26-2006 03:29 AM

Gaborik has had three 30+ goal seasons, while Richards has not hit 30 goals yet in his NHL career, plus Gabby is younger. Richards point totals are inflated because of support from Lecavalier and St Louis. If Gaborik had linemates like that, he would have more assists and probably hit 50 goals by now.

Don't get me wrong though, I don't think either Richards or Gaborik deserve 7.8 million.

If anything I would say that Gaborik is as good or even better then Richards skill wise.

CechMY5HOLEman-ek! 06-11-2006 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRReclusive
Gaborik has had three 30+ goal seasons, while Richards has not hit 30 goals yet in his NHL career, plus Gabby is younger. Richards point totals are inflated because of support from Lecavalier and St Louis. If Gaborik had linemates like that, he would have more assists and probably hit 50 goals by now.

Yeah well, if Richards didn't play defense and hung out at the red line or the opposing teams' blueline he might have 30+ goal seasons too. :D

thestonedkoala 06-12-2006 02:24 PM

Should we let DR and co. walk?

I'm kind of tired of DR and his company. Our drafts have kind of sucked. We're most likely going to lose Gaborik. And he signed Bouchard to that ridiculous one-year contract. If we have any hold-outs this year and if we don't get enough back in return for Gaborik, I say we fire him and bring in a whole new crew. Kind of like the Vikings. Playoffs be damned, I rather see the future of this organization kept together than playoffs.