HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   How do you break your skates in? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=254266)

vcx* 05-23-2006 02:05 AM

How do you break your skates in?

Mine are not broken in yet...freakin hell!! I'm a very quick skater and when i wear my new skates and play, i'm like a newbie out there, i am falling or my feet are in pain. I keep getting these weird things to try from baby powder to vaseline. I did wear my skates every few hours around my place this weekend. It helped a little.

vwg* 05-23-2006 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotwheels
Mine are not broken in yet...freakin hell!! I'm a very quick skater and when i wear my new skates and play, i'm like a newbie out there, i am falling or my feet are in pain. I keep getting these weird things to try from baby powder to vaseline. I did wear my skates every few hours around my place this weekend. It helped a little.

Make sure they fit properly first. That's key. If they're too small, you can always get them punched out, length or width wise. If they're too big, you're pretty much screwed.

If they do fit, yet you're still having trouble breaking them, just take them somewhere to get baked. If there isn't a place like that anywhere near you, you can do it yourself at home. There are a few guides online on how to do it at home.

vcx* 05-23-2006 02:27 AM

I don't think my skates are the type you should get baked from what people tell me. But yeah, they could be a little too tight of a fit (stupid Sportschek did bake them, then told me these aren't ones u can bake...smart, no?).

I also like having my skates super sharp all the time, i hate them when they are even slightly dull. But yeah, i should get it a lil widened, but that will happen the more i wear them. I could always revert back to my Tacks for games and continue trying to break my new skates in at public skate.

night-timer 05-23-2006 04:57 AM

The key to skates is that they should be stiff and firm whilst also offering good forward flex. I think the flex may be hard to achieve when the skates are still largely fresh out of the box.

I am getting new skates fairly soon. If they are tight or painful or don't offer me the same forward flex of my old skates, I figure I'll just lace the new skates much looser until they've softened up. After that period, I'll wear them tight. (Will this work?)

I've always prefered very tight laces, especially tight at the 'L' shape where the foot meets the bottom of the leg/shin.

stick9 05-23-2006 07:04 AM

Quote:

I also like having my skates super sharp all the time, i hate them when they are even slightly dull. But yeah, i should get it a lil widened, but that will happen the more i wear them. I could always revert back to my Tacks for games and continue trying to break my new skates in at public skate.

That's what I would do until you feel comfortable in them. I'd stay away from the vasaline thing. Sounds like something you end up regreting later on, doesn't it.

Wear them as much as possible even around the house. I've dunked skates in a tub of hot water (NOT boiling, just hot....tap water is good enough). Once you take them out of the tub put them and leave them on for awhile.

Joe Cole 05-23-2006 08:22 AM

I agree, stay away from Vaseline. Sheesh!

For everyone lese here's education, what kind of skates did you buy? Does the manaufacturer say that their skates cannot be "baked"?

thanks

Lowball Norm 05-23-2006 08:35 AM

Quote:

How do you break your skates in?

Quietly jimmy the back window with a screwdriver and toss them in.

vwg* 05-23-2006 02:16 PM

What kind of skates are they?

Kardi 05-23-2006 02:28 PM

when i got my new skates i let my brother wear em to public skating or let him go play hockey with em first then i wear em :D

NJDevs430 05-23-2006 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lowball Norm
Quietly jimmy the back window with a screwdriver and toss them in.

You're a sick, sick person.

I respect that.
<(-:**

velocity 05-24-2006 01:51 PM

break in..

Fill the tub with hot water and go in with your skates....

FLYLine24* 05-24-2006 02:04 PM

Get them baked at the place u bought them from.

vwg* 05-24-2006 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by velocity
Fill the tub with hot water and go in with your skates....

I hope you're not serious. I hope no one follows this advice. Soaking your skates in water could seriously damage them, because they could never fully dry again.

vcx* 05-24-2006 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STAALed
What kind of skates are they?

CCM
Vector ZG 10.0
Worn 3 times to games, tried to break them in by wearing them around the house for approx 9hrs total...i'm tryin...

I wore my old CCM tacks...i was skating like my old self but man are those skates brutal...they look bad and they sound like a car screeching to a halt when i stop. There's virtually no padding in my tacks so i dont feel safe playing with those on ever again.

sc37 05-24-2006 07:30 PM

ZG 10.0? Well if your model is above ZG 110 you can bake them I believe. Follow these directions:
http://www.epuck.com/webapp/wcs/stor...k_in_skate.htm

http://www.epuck.com/webapp/wcs/stor...at_molding.htm

sc37 05-24-2006 07:33 PM

Oh sry, nvm forgot the new Vectors are 10.0. Nice skates, and you can heat them. 2d link above /\ or take them back to where you got them

vwg* 05-24-2006 10:32 PM

Yeah, personally I'd take them to your LHS and let them bake them for you.. they're more efficient than your oven..

vcx* 05-24-2006 10:41 PM

I did get them baked, it helped a little because when i first tried them on the cushioning in some area's weren't snug or anything properly but after they baked it, it felt 100% better.

But still it hurts like hell when i skate, yet when i wear my tacks i'm fine because those were broken into and i wore those for like 4 yrs of minor hockey (had older ccm's before the tacks).

I'll just keep wearing them to public skate, they'll eventually fit better each time. They sort of are, i just get tempted to pour ice cold water on them while i skate.

vwg* 05-24-2006 11:37 PM

Ahh, yeah, I just got new skates myself (not anywhere near as nice as yours though, LOL) and I baked them myself, and I still get a little pain every now and then.. I'm sure the more we skate on them, the more broken in they'll get.

onetimer 05-25-2006 12:25 AM

Keep wearing them, especially for games/stick time. The movements in a game are different then skating in a circle. Stick it out, eventually they will come around.

vcx* 05-25-2006 06:32 AM

When it comes to game time, i can't get comfortable with the ankle area, like the shin pads i usually have inside the skate (behind the tongue), i tried outside it and i lost quite a bit of mobility which made my feet hurt a lot and i fell flat on my ***.

I will go do some adult pick up hockey and screw around to break my skates in there rather than try to break them in during my league games.

STAAled, we just gotta keep wearing them to break them in, try to squat in them as they tend to loosen it up a little so you do have some breathing room down there, for me its just a lil snug, it doesn't have that worn in feeling yet. I have a lot of work to do on my skates though. I hate walking around my place with skates on, the guards make me slip on the freakin tile, not soo bad on the wood floors though.

SharksDownUnder 05-25-2006 10:06 AM

wear them with bare feet

If you already are.... just tighten them as tight as you can without it absolutely killing you.... and just be patient.

You'll love them when you get past this first part.

If they are like a glove that's the best. Unless you can't get them on your feet.... then you're in trouble and we'll call you a dumbsheit!

Good luck. I'd do the hot water as a last resort.

facts 05-25-2006 01:29 PM

steam - get a kettle or a steamer (ventalator) rin the steam with the skates in a large garbage bag for 10 minutes then put them on repeat repeat- pain in the ### but it works also walking up stairs with guards works as well as it is a diffent motion which requires more flex.

velocity 05-25-2006 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STAALed
I hope you're not serious. I hope no one follows this advice. Soaking your skates in water could seriously damage them, because they could never fully dry again.

done this with over 20 pairs of skates and it works great...

vcx* 05-25-2006 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by facts
steam - get a kettle or a steamer (ventalator) rin the steam with the skates in a large garbage bag for 10 minutes then put them on repeat repeat- pain in the ### but it works also walking up stairs with guards works as well as it is a diffent motion which requires more flex.

That i gotta try, thanks.