HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Suppose the Leafs dump O'Neill (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=254819)

Souffle 05-25-2006 12:53 AM

Suppose the Leafs dump O'Neill

Supposedly the Leafs are going to dump O'Neill, Lindros, and Allison to make cap space. O'Neill used to be a 40 goal power forward, exactly what the Habs have been lacking forever. Recently he's struggled with injuries and emotional issues. At one point when the Leafs were sliding out of a playoff spot, he was a healthy scratch for a couple of games.

Would you take a chance on signing him?

Habs13 05-25-2006 01:00 AM

Nope... tainted by the leaf.

jcpenny 05-25-2006 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs13
Nope... tainted by the leaf.

:biglaugh:

Artyukhin* 05-25-2006 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davedave
Supposedly the Leafs are going to dump O'Neill, Lindros, and Allison to make cap space. O'Neill used to be a 40 goal power forward, exactly what the Habs have been lacking forever. Recently he's struggled with injuries and emotional issues. At one point when the Leafs were sliding out of a playoff spot, he was a healthy scratch for a couple of games.

man dave i just dont know . there was a reason he got outta carolina very well publisied (booze).im not calling him down for that i hope he got a handle on that now ...in montreal im not sure this is the town for him

how was Paul Maurice's and O'Neill relations in carolina ?

HF-Addict 05-25-2006 01:05 AM

He also has an incomprehensible fear of flying in planes.....which make every travel an obstacle. Add that to his emotional problem...I wouldn't take a chance on him. He has looked flat with the leafs the few times I have seen him....only decent on the PP.

Habs13 05-25-2006 01:12 AM

There's got to be a very good reason why he was a healthy scratch while his team was fighting for the 8th playoff spot. I wouldn't touch him... not even at $1M a year...

Guy Caballero 05-25-2006 01:41 AM

God no. He's a cancer.

Blind Gardien 05-25-2006 07:22 AM

O'Neill has had a bit of a history going back long before the tragic death of his brother which is so oft-mentioned by Toronto media lately. No doubt he's capable of being a fine player. But he has had run-ins in the lockerroom going back to junior, drinking stories from before his family tragedy, and then the flying problems... at times this year I think he really did want to just quit, and it looked like it on the ice. Of course, there is plenty of potential for him to get everything sorted out, and even suffering through the season he did, he still scored around 20 goals. I certainly wish him all the best in his future. But I don't think Montreal is going to be the best place for him to come to get sorted out. And I'm not sure Toronto is either.

wedge 05-25-2006 07:23 AM

he's crap since his brother died... too bad, because he was a player I liked a lot...

toshiro 05-25-2006 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
O'Neill has had a bit of a history going back long before the tragic death of his brother which is so oft-mentioned by Toronto media lately. No doubt he's capable of being a fine player. But he has had run-ins in the lockerroom going back to junior, drinking stories from before his family tragedy, and then the flying problems... at times this year I think he really did want to just quit, and it looked like it on the ice. Of course, there is plenty of potential for him to get everything sorted out, and even suffering through the season he did, he still scored around 20 goals. I certainly wish him all the best in his future. But I don't think Montreal is going to be the best place for him to come to get sorted out. And I'm not sure Toronto is either.

Put him on zoloft and send him to a leaffan 12 step program. :teach:

znk 05-25-2006 11:00 AM

He was a healthy scratch many times. No thx.

AH 05-25-2006 11:10 AM

The guy was a cherry picker in Carolina, which led to some pretty good goal totals. The guy is and has been a stiff for a long time.

The hurricanes look good today but people forget that they were a horrid team in 03-04 and throughout the lockout. Even then they wanted nothing to do with a player who had a very reasonable $ 2.28 million QO for them to retain his rights. For a pretty bad team to do away with a young-ish 30 goal scorer for $2.28 million, you just had to know something was wrong.

Oedi 05-25-2006 11:14 AM

He was playing injured the whole year with a shoulder problem and he isn't being released by the leafs or becoming a Hab :teach:

habfan4 05-25-2006 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oedi
He was playing injured the whole year with a shoulder problem and he isn't being released by the leafs or becoming a Hab :teach:

Judging by the responses in this thread no one is going to be upset by this news.

Scoogs 05-25-2006 11:16 AM

Like Oedi said, he was driving to the net and was tripping into it and hurt his shoulder in the first game.. Didn't want to have another surgery because he knew it would take him out for awhile, so he played through it.

Plus, he was playing mind games with himself over the recent death of his brother. The Leafs won't release him. The only way he is not on the team is if he retires.

habfan4 05-25-2006 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scugs
Like Oedi said, he was driving to the net and was tripping into it and hurt his shoulder in the first game.. Didn't want to have another surgery because he knew it would take him out for awhile, so he played through it.

Plus, he was playing mind games with himself over the recent death of his brother. The Leafs won't release him. The only way he is not on the team is if he retires.

The retirement thoughts seem to be behind him Yahoo Sports Link

Athlétique_Canadien 05-25-2006 11:19 AM

He is an awesome player but he's too slow and clunky on his skates

Mikhail Grabovsky* 05-25-2006 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davedave

:shakehead
Noooooo way too injury prone to lock up all that $$$ in the stands

Go Habs GO

Habs 4 Life 05-25-2006 11:36 AM

No way,keep the cash for someone else

Live Forever 05-25-2006 11:47 AM

Why not go with Kostitsyn?

Evil Ted 05-25-2006 12:06 PM

oneil is overraited he has been his whole career, his work ethic is suspect he doesnt show up 82 games of the season, probably one of the leafs worst pickups in the offseason as far as what he did for the team.