HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Go after Jay McKee as a UFA? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=254880)

22SteveBegin22 05-25-2006 09:13 AM

Go after Jay McKee as a UFA?

He's up for free agency, blocks about 60 shots a game and is a solid defensive D man. We put him on a pair with Souray and Sheldon provides the offense while he shuts things down in our end. He should be affordable because he doesn't put up great numbers... a top 5 of Markov-Rivet-Souray-Komisarek-McKee would be pretty nice.

Russeltown 05-25-2006 09:17 AM

I agree with you. He could be great with Sheldon!
Gainey should try to sign him if Buffalo doesn't do it before July 1st

Whitesnake 05-25-2006 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 22SteveBegin22
He's up for free agency, blocks about 60 shots a game and is a solid defensive D man. We put him on a pair with Souray and Sheldon provides the offense while he shuts things down in our end. He should be affordable because he doesn't put up great numbers... a top 5 of Markov-Rivet-Souray-Komisarek-McKee would be pretty nice.

McKee is definately one of my primary targets. But I know 29 other GM's really interested as well, his included....

Dan K 05-25-2006 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitesnake
McKee is definately one of my primary targets. But I know 29 other GM's really interested as well, his included....

Exactly. I don't think McKee will be so desperate to leave a young, talented team, and I think Buffalo understands how valuable he is, and will be willing to offer up a nice paycheck.

But if, for whatever reason, he did test the market, he'd find a lot of takers.

NoGoal 05-25-2006 09:22 AM

The only team who will be able to sign McKee on the "cheap" is Buffalo. If he hits the market, he will be bid up to a crazy price - probably overpriced.

Artyukhin* 05-25-2006 09:22 AM

this is one guy that ends up in toronto for sure.

Tuggy 05-25-2006 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoGoal
The only team who will be able to sign McKee on the "cheap" is Buffalo. If he hits the market, he will be bid up to a crazy price - probably overpriced.

What UFA isn't? That's the way it works when more then one team is after a player's services.

Weis 05-25-2006 09:36 AM

Im sure he'll sign with buffalo, he's a good leader and one of their top D over there.

He would be a really good upgrade over River or Souray but he will cost too much and he is a stay at home D. We should try and get jovo or redden! I know it wont happen but its fun to dream ;)

habfan4 05-25-2006 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sakuuuuu
Exactly. I don't think McKee will be so desperate to leave a young, talented team, and I think Buffalo understands how valuable he is, and will be willing to offer up a nice paycheck.

But if, for whatever reason, he did test the market, he'd find a lot of takers.

Sure Buffalo understands his worth and would like to lock him up, but with Afinogenov, Biron, Briere, Campbell, Connolly, Dumont, Gaustad, Kalinen, Miller, Pominville, Pyatt & Roy (amongst others) being RFAs and looking for raises, will the Sabres be able to fit McKee into their salary structure?

jester099 05-25-2006 09:39 AM

I'm not sure that's what we really need.

I think our D is good and the only way to make it significantly better is to bring in a top notch D.

McKee is good, put I think replacing say Bouillon or Dandenault with McKee is an improvement, but only marginal.

Dutch 05-25-2006 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jester099
McKee is good, put I think replacing say Bouillon or Dandenault with McKee is an improvement, but only marginal.

Exactly what I'm thinking.

The Sanchise 05-25-2006 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habfan4
Sure Buffalo understands his worth and would like to lock him up, but with Afinogenov, Biron, Briere, Campbell, Connolly, Dumont, Gaustad, Kalinen, Miller, Pominville, Pyatt & Roy (amongst others) being RFAs and looking for raises, will the Sabres be able to fit McKee into their salary structure?

Yes because there is a lot of money left over to spend knowing the cap is up, i doubt fitzpatrick, janik, peters wil be resigned. Biron will be tendered somewhere else and we should get a pick out of it. Pyatt, Roy, GAustad, POminville won't get anything higher than 950 k. KAlinin will probably get a very low raise, as Miller might jump to about 3 mil a year with Briere getting about 4, Max getting about 2.5 and Campbell a little over one. These guys arent greedy so we should be fine. Not too mention the guys already on our team are very cheap as this year Drury was our highest payed player at 2.6 mil. I don't see mckee leaving because teppo won't get tendered an extention.

habfan4 05-25-2006 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paille#1
Yes because there is a lot of money left over to spend knowing the cap is up, i doubt fitzpatrick, janik, peters wil be resigned. Biron will be tendered somewhere else and we should get a pick out of it. Pyatt, Roy, GAustad, POminville won't get anything higher than 950 k. KAlinin will probably get a very low raise, as Miller might jump to about 3 mil a year with Briere getting about 4, Max getting about 2.5 and Campbell a little over one. These guys arent greedy so we should be fine. Not too mention the guys already on our team are very cheap as this year Drury was our highest payed player at 2.6 mil. I don't see mckee leaving because teppo won't get tendered an extention.

I had banged out a long winded point by point, player by player response, but I think the following will suffice:

The Sabres have only three players under contract next year and a truckload of RFAs who will be looking for raises (some hefty others not so much). They also have to pay market value to retain their own UFAs i.e. McKee and Grier (I'm assuming Mike will be back in Buffalo). Last years salary budget was 32.6 million (numbers from NHLPA) which gives an indication that although cap space may be available, it might not be fully utilized.

I'm not saying 100% that McKee is going to be playing somewhere else next season, only that it won't be trivial for the Sabres to retain him and the rest of their club.

Guy Caballero 05-25-2006 12:23 PM

No thanks. He's good, but the hype machine is in overdrive and his stock is through the roof. Gainey's job is not to spend $4+ mil on Jay McKee; it's to spend $1 mil on the next Jay McKee.

hockey_nut 05-25-2006 12:26 PM

i'd like to go after him... but if the price tag is too high, then forget it. if we can get him in at a reasonable salary, then sure

and btw.. 22SteveBegin22 ... love the avatar! :propeller

Shabutie 05-25-2006 12:27 PM

I think we should IF Redden or Jovo aren't availible.

131313 05-25-2006 12:29 PM

I think that we should at least try to offer him something but i doubt that he will sign here.

In any case Gainey must not blow the bank if he ever decide to go after him.

Talent Analyst 05-25-2006 03:01 PM

Pair him with Bouillon will be GOD :)

Medicine Twin 05-25-2006 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuggy
What UFA isn't? That's the way it works when more then one team is after a player's services.

Unfortunately most fans don't seem to understand this. Not saying don't ever go after UFAs though... do what you gotta do.

Rather Gingerly 1* 05-25-2006 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 22SteveBegin22

If he blocks 60 shots a game we don't need a goalie

Artyukhin* 05-25-2006 11:21 PM

cheaper alternative is

Karlis Skrastins in colorado who is a ufa . you want a shot blocker? man carbo would be in heaven with this guy .

not sure anyone from the avs will come to montreal . im sure theo and brezzy arent the best ambassaors of the canadiens :biglaugh:

anyways id offer him a 4 year deal at 2.5 million a season
currenly makes 1.4) . the guy is rock solid and flys under the rader of many .

current nhl iron man hasnt missed a game in near 5 years and block a ton of shots

forget mckee and his 4 million a year contract

id pair up Komisarek and Skrastins would be a nasty pair physcail to play against trust me ...

jcpenny 05-26-2006 12:53 AM

He'll re-sign with Buffalo.

Artyukhin* 05-26-2006 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcpenny
He'll re-sign with Buffalo.

im not so sure about that
that something you cant take to the bank . i give it 75% odds he doesnt resign in buffalo .

jcpenny 05-26-2006 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doug mckenzie
im not so sure about that
that something you cant take to the bank . i give it 75% odds he doesnt resign in buffalo .

Buffalo doesnt have a huge payroll and their defense is made out of no names and teppo numinen. Hes clearly their best defender and not only they will do anything to keep him, after this run he will certainly want to sign back with buffalo, a team hes been playing with all his career.

Artyukhin* 05-26-2006 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcpenny
Buffalo doesnt have a huge payroll and their defense is made out of no names and teppo numinen. Hes clearly their best defender and not only they will do anything to keep him, after this run he will certainly want to sign back with buffalo, a team hes been playing with all his career.

McKee and Lindy Ruff supposedly do not see eye-to-eye

McKee himself said he would like to play in toronto
and his family are trying to get him closer to home " toronto "

so i dunno if your a betting man dont bet on his return to buffalo
regardless of how good he is and how much cap room buffalo has jay wont be there next season in my opinion only

also keep in mind mckee was wanting a long term deal from buffalo last season and guess what?

they gave him a one year "qualifying offer "
what's they call "backfiring " in your face