HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   About Rask and Price (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=255024)

Rise from the Ashes 05-25-2006 07:17 PM

About Rask and Price

I was looking around and found some old podcasts from draft day and heard some interesting things.

--First Bob Gainey said that he and his scouting staff feel Price has the best ability to progress and get better.

--Second John Ferguson said that he wanted to move up in the draft to select Carey Price, but the price (lol) was very expensive.

So Toronto also believed that Carey Price had the most upside and was the best goaltender in the draft. For all those saying Rask is better then Price, this may not be the case, but rather Rask has been playing in a man's league for quite some time now and has a step ahead of Price. This just means that Rask is further ahead then Price right now. But it is believed and most probably true that our friend Carey has the greater upside and character.

link http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/draft/

Towards the bottom right corner.

Twist and Shout 05-25-2006 07:20 PM

I too think that Price has more upside than Rask, but I don't know what the chances are that he fulfills that upside.

Goalies are a weird bunch. Professional scouts liked Trevor Kidd more than Martin Brodeur at one time.

Rise from the Ashes 05-25-2006 07:29 PM

Well sometimes people are latebloomers....and sometimes if you arent handled well, motivated or you cant handle the pressure of being a top pick some guys flop. But for those who have strong mental character, they usually thrive. No doubt Rask will be a great goalie, but what will Toronto want? I great puckhandling, canadian character goaltender like Pogge or a freakishly flexible all star goalie like Rask, IMO the ceiling of Pogge is a Sean Burke and the ceiling of Rask is unlimited. But i do trust Trevor Timmins' prediction of Price and his gutsyness.

Aarex 05-25-2006 07:47 PM

The thing i like about price is that he has all the tools nessassary to be a francise goalie in todays NHL, He has size but most of all he is a athletic style goalie, and we've seen this year with the speed that has been injected into the game athletic goalies shine higher then positional goalies (theodore)

Having said that,goalies are also very difficult to draft as they don't hit their prime until much much later.

Biggsy 05-25-2006 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard_Zednik
I was looking around and found some old podcasts from draft day and heard some interesting things.

--First Bob Gainey said that he and his scouting staff feel Price has the best ability to progress and get better.

--Second John Ferguson said that he wanted to move up in the draft to select Carey Price, but the price (lol) was very expensive.

So Toronto also believed that Carey Price had the most upside and was the best goaltender in the draft. For all those saying Rask is better then Price, this may not be the case, but rather Rask has been playing in a man's league for quite some time now and has a step ahead of Price. This just means that Rask is further ahead then Price right now. But it is believed and most probably true that our friend Carey has the greater upside and character.

Well lets hope so

toshiro 05-25-2006 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sevenSteen
I too think that Price has more upside than Rask, but I don't know what the chances are that he fulfills that upside.

Goalies are a weird bunch. Professional scouts liked Trevor Kidd more than Martin Brodeur at one time.

In fact Calgary switched picks with NJ to get Kidd. Brodeur was the booby prize.

Rise from the Ashes 05-25-2006 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toshiro
In fact Calgary switched picks with NJ to get Kidd. Brodeur was the booby prize.

haha cool that gave me a little giggle

leafaholix* 05-26-2006 02:18 AM

Quote:

I don't think there's any doubt that based on actual performance, Rask has surpassed Price over the last 12 months. Based on talent, they're dead even because this isn't like comparing Dave Manson to Rob Blake, it's not exactly obvious who's better.

habfan4 05-26-2006 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore_boy
I don't think there's any doubt that based on actual performance, Rask has surpassed Price over the last 12 months. Based on talent, they're dead even because this isn't like comparing Dave Manson to Rob Blake, it's not exactly obvious who's better.

The bold part of your post isn't entirely accurate, you're comparing apples and oranges. The Tri-City Americans are a god awful team, whereas Ilves Tampere is middle of the road team, and the SM Liiga is a very defence oriented league as opposed to the WHL.

Blind Gardien 05-26-2006 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habfan4
The bold part of your post isn't entirely accurate, you're comparing apples and oranges. The Tri-City Americans are a god awful team, whereas Ilves Tampere is middle of the road team, and the SM Liiga is a very defence oriented league as opposed to the WHL.

Well... not that I've seen tons and tons of them all playing... but from the few scattered games here and there... Rask and Pavelec look better than Price to me. Rask and Pavelec also look better than they did last year. I'm not sure that Price looks any better (or worse) than he did last year.

Not that I'm personally going to jump off any ledges because of it. It's still just 1 year, and the size, character, puckhandling skills that Price brings still stand as advantages he has over those other goalies. No reason his puck-stopping skills can't come around and put him back in the lead eventually. But I do think it's totally fair game for people to observe that Rask or Pavelec may be better than Price right now. It may also be fair for some to think that Price is better. Like I said, I haven't seen them all play tons of games, just a few each. But it's at least open for debate, and the 5th vs. 21st vs. 41st order they were drafted in really doesn't tell the story about how close they are IMO.

habfan4 05-26-2006 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
Well... not that I've seen tons and tons of them all playing... but from the few scattered games here and there... Rask and Pavelec look better than Price to me. Rask and Pavelec also look better than they did last year. I'm not sure that Price looks any better (or worse) than he did last year.

Not that I'm personally going to jump off any ledges because of it. It's still just 1 year, and the size, character, puckhandling skills that Price brings still stand as advantages he has over those other goalies. No reason his puck-stopping skills can't come around and put him back in the lead eventually. But I do think it's totally fair game for people to observe that Rask or Pavelec may be better than Price right now. It may also be fair for some to think that Price is better. Like I said, I haven't seen them all play tons of games, just a few each. But it's at least open for debate, and the 5th vs. 21st vs. 41st order they were drafted in really doesn't tell the story about how close they are IMO.

I'm not suggesting that it isn't fair to suggest that Rask is currently better than Price, I'm only stating that it's debatable. Would Rask look as good in the WHL with Tri-City playing in front of him? What effect (if any) does playing in a league that stresses defense have on a netminders numbers? etc... etc...

Both are very solid prospects as far as I'm concerned.

Habruti! 05-26-2006 10:17 AM

Its hard to judge...

Good goalies on a good team are not always good goalies on a bad team, similarly good goalies on a bad team are not necessarily good goalies on a good team. Price may verywell be an OK goalie on a bad team and perhaps he would be great on a good team. The tender position is so mental that it is tough to guage. From what I have seen at prospect camp he looked sharper then Danis and this is a good guage of what level he can play now.

For the WJC there was very little chance for him to steal the no.1 spot, I would even say there was NO chance to even compete for it...

Only time will tell, but as many of you mentionned, he definitively has all the tools.

Darz 05-26-2006 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sevenSteen

Expect for those in New Jersey. Lou and staff always felt Brodeur was the better of the two, and the reason they dropped in the draft knowing that he would most likely still be available.

I do agree with your point though. Goalies are hard to figure out. Especially at 18, 19, 20 years old. Hell, they are hard to figure out their entire careers for the most part.

Whitesnake 05-26-2006 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habruti!
Good goalies on a good team are not always good goalies on a bad team, similarly good goalies on a bad team are not necessarily good goalies on a good team. Price may verywell be an OK goalie on a bad team and perhaps he would be great on a good team. The tender position is so mental that it is tough to guage. From what I have seen at prospect camp he looked sharper then Danis and this is a good guage of what level he can play now.

For the WJC there was very little chance for him to steal the no.1 spot, I would even say there was NO chance to even compete for it...

Only time will tell, but as many of you mentionned, he definitively has all the tools.

That's why I think that to bring Price to the next level, you should either be sure that Tri-City will be a much better team next year (and for some reports it seems they'll be worst.....) or send him to a contender let him see do a Pogge out of himself. But I don't think what he'll learn to be again the only guy that could make a difference and be around a negative environnement like a bad team brings.

Top Corner2 05-26-2006 11:46 AM

I think the thing that surprised everybody was that Montreal picked a goalie.

Everybody figured Price would be a top ten pick...so going from 7 to 5 isn't really a stretch.

I guess people looked at our goalie situation and decided we were set in nets. Personally I was hoping for a goalie as one of our top 3 selections (and a D). Goalie is a position where you want to have depth AND you want to have a few studs. I'm just really happy we have Price....I'm not too worried about who we don't have.

I'm not sold on Danis. He may become a starter, but I doubt he will be an elite one. I like Halak better, but still feel that Price has so many intangibles that he could really become something special.

montreal 05-26-2006 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitesnake
That's why I think that to bring Price to the next level, you should either be sure that Tri-City will be a much better team next year (and for some reports it seems they'll be worst.....) or send him to a contender let him see do a Pogge out of himself. But I don't think what he'll learn to be again the only guy that could make a difference and be around a negative environnement like a bad team brings.

The Habs don't have any control of what team Price plays for. Tri City looks like they will be in big trouble next year, but who knows what will happen. The only thing the Habs can do is put him in the NHL or send him back to Tri City. Now Tri City might want to consider moving him since they know he won't be back the next year but it's impossible to say what they will do.

Whitesnake 05-26-2006 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montreal
The Habs don't have any control of what team Price plays for. Tri City looks like they will be in big trouble next year, but who knows what will happen. The only thing the Habs can do is put him in the NHL or send him back to Tri City. Now Tri City might want to consider moving him since they know he won't be back the next year but it's impossible to say what they will do.

So a NHL team cannot at least do some suggestions??? Understand it's not their team, but since those leagues are suppose to be developments leagues for the bigs, if I was in the Habs org., I would at least give them a call to see what are their intentions....This is not an obscure 7th round pick, this is the future of this organization and his development, especially for a goalie is crucial at this point....but I don't have to tell you this... ;)

montreal 05-26-2006 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitesnake
So a NHL team cannot at least do some suggestions??? Understand it's not their team, but since those leagues are suppose to be developments leagues for the bigs, if I was in the Habs org., I would at least give them a call to see what are their intentions....This is not an obscure 7th round pick, this is the future of this organization and his development, especially for a goalie is crucial at this point....but I don't have to tell you this... ;)

Sure the can suggest but it doesn't mean the team will make a move just cause the NHL wants them to. They have to do what's best for them. Maybe moving him is best for them, or maybe playing on a crappy team and having to battle through tough times is what's best for him. Either way juniors don't mean all the much, so until he's in Hamilton I personally don't think it's a big deal. I mean I want to see him and all our prospects do good in the CHL but since it's against 16-20 year olds, I prefer to wait till they are in the AHL before really being concerned or excited about any prospect.

Bryzga lol* 06-01-2006 01:49 PM

From what I've seen with Price, he'll probably be an NHL starter. His positioning and flexibility is way above average, and his stats in the WHL (even though they droped from last year) are great for a goalie who plays a terrible team.

Anyone remember that backwards split save he made in the preseason with the Habs? I thought that was awesome, one of the most unique saves of the year.

Ape Clutch 06-01-2006 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riel
From what I've seen with Price, he'll probably be an NHL starter. His positioning and flexibility is way above average, and his stats in the WHL (even though they droped from last year) are great for a goalie who plays a terrible team.

Anyone remember that backwards split save he made in the preseason with the Habs? I thought that was awesome, one of the most unique saves of the year.

WTH...how do you do a backwards split :amazed:

Rather Gingerly 1* 06-01-2006 01:58 PM

Quote:

I believe the Leafs were looking for a young goalie. Little did they know about Pogge at the time

Bryzga lol* 06-01-2006 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kanye West
WTH...how do you do a backwards split :amazed:

hahaha

If i remember correctly, he made a save on the side of the net, with the puck sorta going behind the net, the opposition got the puck and attempted a wrap-around. With Price making the first save, he was a bit out of position and he watch the guy take the puck and go around the net (with his chest facing the net), the player wrapped it around the net to put it in the bottom corner, but Price did the splits and stoped it with his toe, but he was still facing the net! Hense the term backwards splits.

Ape Clutch 06-01-2006 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riel
hahaha

If i remember correctly, he made a save on the side of the net, with the puck sorta going behind the net, the opposition got the puck and attempted a wrap-around. With Price making the first save, he was a bit out of position and he watch the guy take the puck and go around the net (with his chest facing the net), the player wrapped it around the net to put it in the bottom corner, but Price did the splits and stoped it with his toe, but he was still facing the net! Hense the term backwards splits.

lol DAMN!! Crzy Move!!