HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Mike Ribeiro (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=255211)

sade 05-26-2006 01:35 PM

Mike Ribeiro

I haven't post for a while now and for some who remembered i'm a fan of mikey. That's been said and since i'm more of a habs fan than mike fan here we go:

I liked the kid (passing skills, vision, griddy mentality - not physical!!!) i really felt that is days in montreal is over. that's said what do you really think will happen with him (and please let's your hatress at the door).

simply let go for nothing?
sign and trade for a pick?
package?

He is like a downey potatoe but a hot one. I dont think Gainey and carbo want him next year but i dont think they want to loose him for nothing (and no i dont think a bag of unwashed jackstrap will be enough!).

Wich team can afford him?

Or is he better suit for europe and nhl was a great dreaming for him?

be serious for once, we are talking about a hometown boy who tried hard to give what he dont have and forgot to delivered what he got.

JordanStaal#1Fan 05-26-2006 01:38 PM

He'll probably be qualify in case we are not able to sign a #2 center to replace him. If we do find another center then, he'll probably be shop around than waived if no body wants him.

ti-vite 05-26-2006 01:40 PM

We are lloking for an upgrade at center, so he is in the hot seat.

I think he will go at the draft, package maybe to Washington, for what I dont know, maybe a pick.

sXe 05-26-2006 01:40 PM

He will probably stay. Cheap, young, can produce.

mcphee 05-26-2006 01:51 PM

I felt bad for him this year. He showed flashes of adding aspects to his game, but he didn't seem able to sustain good games. I still believe there are a few specific areas that he can improve on, and be a better player.

Still, the team needs a player or 2 different from what they already have, and his spot seems to be the one where an upgrade could be made. Keep in mind that it's here on the board and on talk shows that it is assumed that he'd have to be replaced. Carbo may see a project that has upside. I have no idea how they perceive him. They may want to dump him, they may not.

Right now, I think the potential destinations are that plentiful for him. Washington,Atlanta,maybe. I have no idea really.

Whitesnake 05-26-2006 02:01 PM

A pick, a pick, a pick..... ;)

But will eventually stay 'cause we would not be able to find better.....

Brett38 05-26-2006 02:07 PM

If we keep him, can he be used at left wing on the second line?

Of course, we'll still need a number 2 center.

sXe 05-26-2006 02:11 PM

I seem to remember someone mention that Carbo has taken Ribs under his wing and has made it his personnal Graal to turn Ribs into an NHL player.
Demers or someone on 110% must have said it, so take it for what it's worth.

hab 05-26-2006 02:18 PM

I really wish he could put it all together, the kind of HUGE points he put up in junior

you would think being a mark savard kind of talent would be attainable, but after

a couple of full seasons, it is just not meant to be .....

PockIsGoD 05-26-2006 02:30 PM

He's gonna be qualified. But his value is certainly not very high at the moment, so unless we get decent value for him, I don't see the point of either trading him for a low pick, or waive him and lose him for sweet nothing. If the habs get a REAL upgrade down the middle via either free agency or trade, then Mike can certainly be traded, but until then, let's keep him around.

Habruti! 05-26-2006 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hab
I really wish he could put it all together, the kind of HUGE points he put up in junior

you would think being a mark savard kind of talent would be attainable, but after

a couple of full seasons, it is just not meant to be .....

But really, I think he has to tools to succeed perhaps in a better way in the west then in MTL. Hopefully he puts it all together this year so that we can trade him for a valuable asset. It would be a waste to loose him for nothing.

sade 05-26-2006 02:33 PM

Thanks folks to be serious and try to figure out what will happen with MR. As far as Carbo is concern, i think he took Ribs under his wing for the second half of the season not his entire career. Next year he will not have the time to play that game.

sXe 05-26-2006 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sade
Thanks folks to be serious and try to figure out what will happen with MR. As far as Carbo is concern, i think he took Ribs under his wing for the second half of the season not his entire career. Next year he will not have the time to play that game.

You mean coaching Ribs? I think that's part of his work I was commenting on the fact that he took it personnal on top of it being in his job description.

sade 05-26-2006 02:41 PM

Coaching Ribs is part of his job ? No. The job of a coach is to coach a team not a player in particular. If a guy cant do what the coach ask he is bench and maybe an assistant can help that player, but the head coach doesn't have that time. He deal with the club, preparation and opposition, strategy etc. not a singular but and entity.

Shabutie 05-26-2006 03:11 PM

Quote:

Coaching Ribs is part of his job ? No. The job of a coach is to coach a team not a player in particular. If a guy cant do what the coach ask he is bench and maybe an assistant can help that player, but the head coach doesn't have that time. He deal with the club, preparation and opposition, strategy etc. not a singular but and entity.

Stupid thing to say. If one player is having more difficulty to adapt then another, you give him the most attention. The guy went from a good season to a crap one, you think he won't receive more attention than most?

Teufelsdreck 05-26-2006 03:56 PM

Ribeiro will not be released. He will be qualified because at the moment the Habs don't have anyone to replace him with. It would not be easy to trade Ribeiro but it can be done. I think it is 50-50 that he will remain with le Canadien for the entire season because the centers who will become free agents on July 1, such as Arnott and Savard, will be expensive.

Marchy79 05-26-2006 04:38 PM

Quote:

I haven't post for a while now and for some who remembered i'm a fan of mikey. That's been said and since i'm more of a habs fan than mike fan here we go:

I liked the kid (passing skills, vision, griddy mentality - not physical!!!) i really felt that is days in montreal is over. that's said what do you really think will happen with him (and please let's your hatress at the door).

simply let go for nothing?
sign and trade for a pick?
package?

He is like a downey potatoe but a hot one. I dont think Gainey and carbo want him next year but i dont think they want to loose him for nothing (and no i dont think a bag of unwashed jackstrap will be enough!).

Wich team can afford him?

Or is he better suit for europe and nhl was a great dreaming for him?

be serious for once, we are talking about a hometown boy who tried hard to give what he dont have and forgot to delivered what he got.

Well, he already made a fan outta me... So I am hoping he's our #2 center next year. You dont get better trading the younger guys on the squad.
Mikey's best years are still clearly in front of him (some will not attest to this) but as some have been saying he added more elements in his game, and IMO is a legit second line center.

The kid is a pure scoring threat. Why trade Ribs away? People who want him gone have to wipe the slate clean, and look at his most recent performances. I am willing to give him a clean slate next year. If he disappoints in the playoffs once more however... I would say he's done here. The kid is immensely talented, and when we add a scoring threat to his left side... he's going to have that second option again ,and light it up :D
I saw Mike Ribeiro play in the last 2 months, with more heart than from what I saw from most of the squad (sparing Koivu, Kovalev, and a few others)...And when I see Mike Ribeiro CONSISTENTLY crashing on the boards, and stealing pucks off the 'd'... there's no way he should go anywhere.

As my best friend would say
BONNE COMPLIANO Mikey Ribeiro :D

Sthabs 05-26-2006 08:22 PM

as you said that was the only last 2 months of the season....
what if he goes back to his usual self for the first 6 months of next season?

Teufelsdreck 05-26-2006 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghost # 1
Well, he already made a fan outta me... So I am hoping he's our #2 center next year. You dont get better trading the younger guys on the squad.
Mikey's best years are still clearly in front of him (some will not attest to this) but as some have been saying he added more elements in his game, and IMO is a legit second line center.

The kid is a pure scoring threat. Why trade Ribs away? People who want him gone have to wipe the slate clean, and look at his most recent performances. I am willing to give him a clean slate next year. If he disappoints in the playoffs once more however... I would say he's done here. The kid is immensely talented, and when we add a scoring threat to his left side... he's going to have that second option again ,and light it up :D
I saw Mike Ribeiro play in the last 2 months, with more heart than from what I saw from most of the squad (sparing Koivu, Kovalev, and a few others)...And when I see Mike Ribeiro CONSISTENTLY crashing on the boards, and stealing pucks off the 'd'... there's no way he should go anywhere.

As my best friend would say
BONNE COMPLIANO Mikey Ribeiro :D

Did you notice that his playoff scoring was even worse than the last time? And that his linemate Kovalev scored far better than he did?

Shabutie 05-26-2006 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck
Did you notice that his playoff scoring was even worse than the last time? And that his linemate Kovalev scored far better than he did?

How is 2 pts in 6 games worse than 3 pts in 11 games?

Artyukhin* 05-26-2006 08:48 PM

ribs ? cheap? im not foooled

he is gone .there no place for him here . im not saying he is a bad player he just doesnt have what we need . im sure his skills are better suited for aother team that could use a small center who wont drive the net and loses 7 out of 10 battles along the boards .

other than that he is great

he had chances to show his skills and step it up in saku's absence when saku went out this season and guess what ? nothing

i still find it hard to belive people actually boo'ed saku after he ruffed up ribs in practice ...pretty sure now they would cheer him for doing so ..

what a diffrence 2 years makes

pittsburgh might take him

Teufelsdreck 05-26-2006 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shabutie
How is 2 pts in 6 games worse than 3 pts in 11 games?

He had 2 goals and 1 assist in the first round in 2004. He had 2 assists and no goals in 2006. His anemic showing came despite the fact that he was playing with Kovalev, who led the Habs in goals and points against Carolina. I doubt he would have had even 2 points if Gerber hadn't started in goal.

Teufelsdreck 05-26-2006 09:47 PM

All I can say is that some fans admire Ribeiro because they like his style but are willing to overlook his lack of production.

ngc_5128 05-26-2006 10:13 PM

If Ribs put on 20 or 30 pounds, he would be a lot easier to stomach on the second line. I don't care if it is muscle or fat, as long as he puts on some weight; it's not like he has to worry about being slowed down.

sXe 05-27-2006 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doug mckenzie

pittsburgh might take him

Yeah, maybe they'll make an offer sheet.