HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Oskari Korpikari? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=255368)

Le Tricolore 05-27-2006 10:13 AM

Oskari Korpikari?

Any chance of him coming to North America any time soon? He'd have the best name on the Canadiens if he'd ever crack the lineup.

Louis Houde 05-27-2006 10:36 AM

well... no chance.. this kid is a bust with a nice name

Blades 0f Steel 05-27-2006 10:37 AM

It's nice to know Pierre Dagenais' biggest fan is quick to write people off :sarcasm:

Vinceee 05-27-2006 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierredagenais

Bust? Why?

Blades 0f Steel 05-27-2006 10:41 AM

Seriously though, didn't he show great promise at the rookie camp last year? I wonder why he's fallen off the radar screen so fast.

CH Wizard 05-27-2006 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill pickles
Seriously though, didn't he show great promise at the rookie camp last year? I wonder why he's fallen off the radar screen so fast.

Yes, he did. He looked like a big d with good skating skills.

I'd guess, he's fallen off the radar fast cause of his lack of production, in the finnish league. It's a men's league so I wouldn't put too much important to his production there..he was sent, to his team junior team and he was a total beast.

I'd sign him...and give him a chance atleast in the ECHL.

habsprospects 05-27-2006 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierredagenais

:shakehead

onice 05-27-2006 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill pickles
I wonder why he's fallen off the radar screen so fast.

Bob Gainey was worried about Bob Cole mispronouncing his name on the occasional CBC Habs telecast

Whitesnake 05-27-2006 12:21 PM

Was there at the develoment camp last year and though most of us like Coté very much, he was at times more impressive than Coté as far as puck protection, skating skills and unbeatable 1 on 1. Same thing for O'Byrne though a little more raw. I was really impressed by him, and we should do everything we can to bring him here. He would be really appreciated in Hamilton.....

I mean, we have to convince euros like him, Korneev, Linhart, Heino, guys who doesn't seem to have a real role in their respective leagues, and give them some important role to play here. You can easily think that with the core we have in Hamilton, Linhart, Korneev and Korpikari would be 3 guys in the lineup regularly. I can't believe they prefer being benched over there than play over here.....

Blades 0f Steel 05-27-2006 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onice
Bob Gainey was worried about Bob Cole mispronouncing his name on the occasional CBC Habs telecast

Why, though? He and Neale have called the Oiler's games excellently thus far:

They're the only announcers that pronounce names like Georgez La-Racks and Jarret Stool the correct way.

montreal 05-27-2006 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjb45
Any chance of him coming to North America any time soon? He'd have the best name on the Canadiens if he'd ever crack the lineup.

I don't know what his contract status is with Karpat, but we have until June 1st 2007 to sign him. Since he's had some injury problems in the past, it's cost him development time, this past year was his first full season (didn't miss a game) So perhaps Gainey will wait another year before bringing him over.

I thought he and O'Byrne were the two best defensemen at the last development camp, he seemed to be more mature, well rounded. Didn't mess around did the drills like a professional. I was impressed and hope to see him come over, I don't know what his upside is, I'd guess it's a bottom pairing 6th-7th type guy but with his size, strength and physical game I would think he would adapt to the North American style.

But one problem now is the new PTA. Say Korpikari were signed tomorrow, then next season he would have to play in 30 NHL games or the Habs would have to pay an additional transfer fee. So it would cost the team 200K for the first fee then an additional 150K in transfer fees for not playing 30 NHL games, assuming he isn't ready for NHL duty, which we really can't say at this point but as a guess I don't think he would be ready for the NHL, although that's only a guess. I haven't seen him play since the Euro Champions cup. But 350K is a good bit of money for transfer fees, and it could go up to 375K depending on how many Euro players were signed.