HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Report: Koivu's future uncertain (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=255379)

PyrettaBlaze 05-27-2006 11:24 AM

Report: Koivu's future uncertain

TSN.ca Staff

5/27/2006 10:21:07 AM

Saku Koivu's future with the Montreal Canadiens remains up in the air, according to the Montreal Gazette.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=167115&hubname=

Habsfan18 05-27-2006 11:28 AM

:cry:

NBHABSFAN 05-27-2006 11:30 AM

"With an injury like this, you may have to retire" Those are not conforting words coming from our Captain.

Talent Analyst 05-27-2006 11:30 AM

:cry: :cry: :cry:

NOT MY SAKU KOIVU !!! :cry:

HH 05-27-2006 11:32 AM

:cry: :shakehead :cry: :shakehead

LETS HOPE CAPTAIN COURAGEOUS WILL BE ALRIGHT!

HABit 05-27-2006 11:44 AM

No, not comforting words at all. Also, at the risk of sounding harsh, what if he does recover and he returns to the game, will he be the same Koivu or will he play more cautiously in order to avoid injury.

Yes there is life away from hockey for him but if thinking about his wife and children compromises his game there will be a problem.

LesHabsRock 05-27-2006 12:06 PM

I read this as well at faceoffmagazine dot com. Very sad news. I am actually in shock right now. From a hockey standpoint he's our Habs leader and heart and soul. From a health standpoint, it's his well-being we're talking about and what's more important. I think he'd be capable of playing as long as his eye can see, but it's just a matter of if he wants to. I wouldn't blame him if he retires due to the fact that this eye injury, perhaps gives him a chance to evaluate the importance of his life and family and they come first. We'll see, I guess. Good luck to you Saku in any decision you make.

Mtl6 05-27-2006 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pyro
TSN.ca Staff

5/27/2006 10:21:07 AM

Saku Koivu's future with the Montreal Canadiens remains up in the air, according to the Montreal Gazette.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=167115&hubname=

The Gazette made an interview. I've read it and it really ruined my morning. Hope he'll be OK...

beowulf 05-27-2006 12:48 PM

Was yet another great article by the Gazette, but to bad it has such awfull news. I really hope he does come back. If he does have to retire, my biggest worry becomes who to the Habs get to replace him. I mean if a decision is made only on august or during training camp, not much will be left on the FA market, at least nothing that could resemble a first line center. This makes me think now more then ever that Gainey will have to acquire a top end center and keep Ribeiro for now until Koivu's future is know.

Tuggy 05-27-2006 12:50 PM

:( That article just put a damper on my day. That doesn't sound good at all. By reading that I'm not sure how confident I am that we'll ever see Saku in a Habs jersey again. Pretty sad to think that the last time we'll ever see him on the ice, he was high sticked by a careless play. :cry:

Habsfan18 05-27-2006 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuggy
:( That article just put a damper on my day. That doesn't sound good at all. By reading that I'm not sure how confident I am that we'll ever see Saku in a Habs jersey again. Pretty sad to think that the last time we'll ever see him on the ice, he was high sticked by a careless play. :cry:

:cry: :cry:

AlexCvm 05-27-2006 01:08 PM

He could come back wearing a full face visor, he wouldn't be afraid to get hurt again.

pavlako11 05-27-2006 01:10 PM

Just read it right now, ugh this sucks :cry:

KaptainKourage* 05-27-2006 01:12 PM

He wont retire. He just CANT retire. :cry:

goalchenyuk 05-27-2006 01:16 PM

Don't be too negative about that interview ; His surgery wasn't so far away , so it 's normal that he has such problems . We can't expect him to has been right one week or two after his surgery , no ?

Sure it is a possibility that he can't return and be force to retire , but i am sure that the report is exagerating the facts , just to sell more newspapers; we know how they are ...

Come on guys , don't be so worry ; he will be back !

Captain Saku 05-27-2006 01:22 PM

if koivu have to retire because of a stupid high stick... i'm no longer a hockey fan !!!

Turbo 05-27-2006 01:24 PM

Saku's health comes first... I wish him all the best and hope he can surmount this obstacle like he has surmounted other great ones he faced in the past.

I really wish to be able to see him on skates again next season. :bow: :bow:

mcphee 05-27-2006 01:24 PM

markov, it's in quotation marks. Say what you will about Red Fisher, he doesn't sensationalize. Koivu was clear yesterday that it's expected that he'll be fine as long as there are no setbacks,but it's still a waiting game. Note his last quote, he's clear imo, that without sight in one eye, he can live a pretty good life. It's not the same as cancer. It sounds like life has taught him a bit about priorities.

kevinr 05-27-2006 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NBHABSFAN
"With an injury like this, you may have to retire" Those are not conforting words coming from our Captain.

He was merely stating that it's not the same as his battle with cancer. You're reasing as much into that as Red Fisher was in just about everything Saku said. I think he was making a lot of assumptions.

Marc the Habs Fan 05-27-2006 02:28 PM

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazett...43bb81&k=18219

The full article. It gives you a far more complete picture than what TSN has running right now. The real concern will be if in 5-6-8 weeks he still isn't showing much progress.

Mange de la Moutarde 05-27-2006 03:10 PM

I have hope, Koivu will get better. That A-hole named Justin Williams will not end his career.

He gaves everything for us and it makes me sick hearing people bashing him sometimes. One of his knees is messed up, he survived cancer and now his eye. He'll will get his cup.

turnbuckle* 05-27-2006 03:26 PM

Well...this has been a pretty good indication that visors are relatively useless when it comes to high sticks...what good did it do him?

If he can't play again I hope he becoems an assistant coach, but I'm pretty sure he'll be back. He has a lot more vision than Berard does to this day, and Bryan still came back.

Clumsyhab 05-27-2006 03:30 PM

If Koivu comes back with his eye not at 100%, the french media will finally be right by saying Ribs has a better vision than Koivu ;)

nyhabsfan 05-27-2006 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clumsyhab
If Koivu comes back with his eye not at 100%, the french media will finally be right by saying Ribs has a better vision than Koivu ;)

To the FRENCH MEDIA and ANY Ribero Fans

Let's get something straight.... Saku Koivu with one good eye and one torn up knee is better any day of the week and ten times better during the playoff that that gutless piece of trash Mike Ribero.

If Mike Ribero has 1/100th of the heart that Saku has shown, he may actualy have a decent NHL career.

Mike Ribero and Richard Zednik are simply transition players and their time is up!

God Speed in your recovery Saku, in my book you are up there with my favorite forwards I have seen play... Lafleur, Naslund, Corson, Richer, Skrudland. Carbo, Gainey.

Do you see a commonality ..... GUTS, EFFORT, SKILL, GRIT, LEADERSHIP!

Not words I would use to describe Mike Ribero! :shakehead

La Grosse Tendresse 05-27-2006 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyhabsfan
To the FRENCH MEDIA and ANY Ribero Fans

Let's get something straight.... Saku Koivu with one good eye and one torn up knee is better any day of the week and ten times better during the playoff that that gutless piece of trash Mike Ribero.

If Mike Ribero has 1/100th of the heart that Saku has shown, he may actualy have a decent NHL career.

Mike Ribero and Richard Zednik are simply transition players and their time is up!

God Speed in your recovery Saku, in my book you are up there with my favorite forwards I have seen play... Lafleur, Naslund, Corson, Richer, Skrudland. Carbo, Gainey.

Do you see a commonality ..... GUTS, EFFORT, SKILL, GRIT, LEADERSHIP!

Not words I would use to describe Mike Ribero! :shakehead

Wow... You take this WAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY to seriously. The guy was making a joke.

Oh, and by the way, Ribeiro is having a pretty good NHL career so far.