HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   If Koivu retires, should Habs hold Williams accountable next year? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=255490)

22SteveBegin22 05-28-2006 12:12 AM

If Koivu retires, should Habs hold Williams accountable next year?

I don't like Bertuzzi-on-Moore hockey, but if Koivu's career ends because of Williams's irresponsible stickwork, this is a whole new level of anger for me.

Should someone on the Habs next year give Williams a beat down (I'm not talking high stick to face, but make him fight, I mean like Ivanans or Souray) if Koivu's career is affected?

Poochie_D 05-28-2006 12:19 AM

On ice? No

Off ice? I'd make my feelings known and make a comment along the lines of " You would think a National Hockey League player could keep his stick down..."

Habber 05-28-2006 12:21 AM

Of course not. It was an accident.

Plays like that happen once a game, at least. I'll bet every single Hab was guilty of a similar play throughout the season. To single out Williams is foolish.

Roots73 05-28-2006 12:36 AM

Williams is a POS in my opinion. Hockey carma will take care of his arse.

But as for Koivu, he is all heart. If he is unable to continue with his career, no one should slight him. The guy is a warrior.

But most likely, I'd expect him back. He is tough as a sack of nails and is the heart of the team. He's going through a tough time right now. But when training camp starts, I'll expect to see him circling the ice.

Koivu got guts. :madfire:

Aarex 05-28-2006 12:43 AM

nothing in excess of booing him whenever he comes to the bell centre.

Talent Analyst 05-28-2006 12:46 AM

Why not Souray + Murray + Rivet on him ? :handclap:

znk 05-28-2006 12:46 AM

I dont understand why anyone would vote yes...

Joey 05-28-2006 12:55 AM

If you look at his play all throughout the playoffs, he's been playing this wrecklessly every game. Who cares if it was unintentional, he can only truely be sorry for what he did if he stopped his careless play.

I hope to a non-Bertuzzi extent that next season, a Montreal skater takes it upon himself to make Williams get what he has coming to him.

Whether or not you agree with me, we all know it'd be in Williams best interest to enter the Bell Centre next season under the impression that he is fair game..just in case

Un HabitHuet* 05-28-2006 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by znk
I dont understand why anyone would vote yes...

For laugh?

Otherwise, I don't understand either.

Beatnik 05-28-2006 01:26 AM

it's more than time to move on.

terreur 05-28-2006 01:48 AM

It's sad if Koivu retires, but it was an accident.

RedArmyMontreal* 05-28-2006 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 22SteveBegin22
I don't like Bertuzzi-on-Moore hockey, but if Koivu's career ends because of Williams's irresponsible stickwork, this is a whole new level of anger for me.

Should someone on the Habs next year give Williams a beat down (I'm not talking high stick to face, but make him fight, I mean like Ivanans or Souray) if Koivu's career is affected?

Why send Ivanaans or Souray?

We could trade Ribeiro Zednik Bulis and Sundstrum for Bertuzzi.

Let him handle it.

Habber 05-28-2006 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey
If you look at his play all throughout the playoffs, he's been playing this wrecklessly every game. Who cares if it was unintentional, he can only truely be sorry for what he did if he stopped his careless play.

I hope to a non-Bertuzzi extent that next season, a Montreal skater takes it upon himself to make Williams get what he has coming to him.

Whether or not you agree with me, we all know it'd be in Williams best interest to enter the Bell Centre next season under the impression that he is fair game..just in case

Total BS. I've watched pretty much every Carolina game (roommate's favorite team) and that's not true.

He's played 15 games so far in the playoffs, and has got called for high sticking once. Know what you're talking about before you bash the guy.

BigTimer* 05-28-2006 02:56 AM

No. They had a chance to do something when it actually mattered and they pulled a Breezy circa 2002 vs. Mclaren.

I mean, if you've followed the Habs the past 10 or so years you should know by now what the answer to your question will be.

BigTimer* 05-28-2006 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habber
Total BS. I've watched pretty much every Carolina game (roommate's favorite team) and that's not true.

He's played 15 games so far in the playoffs, and has got called for high sticking once. Know what you're talking about before you bash the guy.

Actually he's right to an extent. In every first round game he played that wrecklessly but I haven't bothered watching more of their games because I can't stand lucky hockey. Anyways, in the game after the Koivu incident Williams caught Markov with a high-stick right with the middle part of his blade and while the incident wasn't called, it still happened. No matter what league your in, you'll find players who have more trouble than others in controlling their stick and while I only caught a sample of Williams' work this season, in the games I've watched hes come off as one of those guys. There was another Williams incident in the series that I just can't remember properly but I think it was either more stickwork on the very same shift as the Markov high-stick or putting the puck behind huet after the whistle had blown. Either way I wasn't impressed by Williams' professionalism in the series.

HabuseMoi 05-28-2006 08:47 AM

he should get his *** kicked, so what if it was an accident, he would have ended a career.

I say clothelines or knee to knee followed by a fight wich involve headbutts by Souray

gars59 05-28-2006 09:05 AM

sigh a goon nowhere of lnah , to kick him :biglaugh:

wedge 05-28-2006 10:08 AM

revenge revenge... everybody wanted to crucify bertuzzi because of his revenge and now you want our team to do the same thing vs Williams.

The best way to take our revege is to beat them each game next year and beat them in the playoffs. No need for violence. As a fan, if I'm at the bell center for the game, I will boo Williams each time he touches the puck and probably do it for the next few years too. But attacking him physically? come on!!!

Istvan 05-28-2006 10:34 AM

Karma. In his next life JW will be a puck.

habfan4 05-28-2006 10:40 AM

Not revenge per se, but if Koivu is forced to retire and I was BG, I'd seriously considered tendering an offer sheet to Eric Staal (11.5 million over 3 years).

HH 05-28-2006 11:17 AM

I don't see a Bertuzzi like revenge, but I think that in the first habs-canes game next year someone on the habs will challenge Williams to a fight but thats pretty much it, nothing like what we saw with Bertuzzi in 2004.

Edit: And the best revenge will be to sweep the season series next year.

PockIsGoD 05-28-2006 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habfan4
Not revenge per se, but if Koivu is forced to retire and I was BG, I'd seriously considered tendering an offer sheet to Eric Staal (11.5 million over 3 years).

Now that's a good idea!

Joey 05-28-2006 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habber

He was only called for high-sticking once, and that means he's only done it once? No penalty was called on the Koivu play, so I guess we can all assume it never ever happened. After all, no penalty was called.

phil 05-28-2006 12:45 PM

if Koivu retires, could he become a canditate to be assistant to Carbo? With all his leadership and heart, maybe he could keep the team together

loudi94 05-28-2006 12:53 PM

Regardless of whether Koivu retires or not, during the regular season you will most likely see the Habs D especially Rivet treat Williams a little extra "special" whenever he can. That's probably the extent of it unless a big scrum breaks out for some unrelated reason, then look for him to get pounded by Souray.