HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Roman Cechmanek (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=25581)

GoneFullHextall 11-04-2003 10:16 PM

Roman Cechmanek

i got this from the Flyers board at ESPN.
all i gotta say is :lol: :lol: :lol:

Roman Cechmanek
Has posted the stellar numbers of a 0.896 Save % and a GAA of 2.70, good for 31st and 30th in the league, respectively. Not to mention LA has the worst penalty kill in the entire NHL with a 72.9% effectiveness. Big surprise there...

The Flyers are 2nd in the PK at 89.8% and 5th on the PP at 23.2%.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

MojoJojo 11-05-2003 02:57 AM

Checkmanek has always started out slowly, and LA is decimated by injuries (again!), so half the guys in front of him are AHLers.

stanley 11-05-2003 05:47 AM

Every divorce doesn't necessarily need to be bitter. Cechmanek and the Flyers was a relationship that seemed to run its course. The team made a decision to move in a different direction, that's all.

As for Cechmanek, he also has 80% of his team's five wins including a shutout against the...oops...Flyers. I think both parties will be just fine.

I also think the Kings will do a little bit better if and when they get Deadmarsh and Allison back.

Fire Bobby Clarke 11-05-2003 06:03 AM

Personally I think the bruins were better off with Potvin.

CNote 11-05-2003 06:24 AM

October 22, 2003

AP - Oct 22, 1:31 am EDT

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Roman Cechmanek got his first shutout for the Los Angeles Kings against the team that traded him away. It became more special to him since Philadelphia Flyers general manager Bobby Clarke was there to see it.

jplush76 11-05-2003 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dutch
October 22, 2003

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Roman Cechmanek got his first shutout for the Los Angeles Kings against the team that traded him away. It became more special to him since Philadelphia Flyers general manager Bobby Clarke was there to see it.

ouch Dutch that hurt :(
I was at that game, I had to walk out with my head down :shakehead

Stonehands77 11-05-2003 10:38 AM

The really odd thing was in EHM, the same thing always happened to me. I'd trade Roman away as my first move, then he'd be an ok goalie, except against the Flyers, where he'd dominate. Of course, I'd usually banish him to Atlanta or something, so I think he suffered enough in those seasons. :D

CNote 11-05-2003 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jplush76
ouch Dutch that hurt :(
I was at that game, I had to walk out with my head down :shakehead

lol..don't get me wrong, i'm a diehard philly fan but i just find it ugly when fans turn on ex players so quickly (eric lindros excluded...lol). personally, i wish roman luck.

later,
dutch

go flyers go!

GoneFullHextall 11-05-2003 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dutch
October 22, 2003

yay. Flyers played there worst game of the year that night. Chokemanek showed me nothing.
the ECHL version of Arturs Irbe could have done the same thing.
am i bitter? your damn right i am.
thats too bad Chokemanek and the Kings dont come to Philly this year. then again there is no way they start him in Philly anyway.

Frolov 6'3 11-07-2003 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom
i got this from the Flyers board at ESPN.
all i gotta say is :lol: :lol: :lol:

Roman Cechmanek
Has posted the stellar numbers of a 0.896 Save % and a GAA of 2.70, good for 31st and 30th in the league, respectively. Not to mention LA has the worst penalty kill in the entire NHL with a 72.9% effectiveness. Big surprise there...

The Flyers are 2nd in the PK at 89.8% and 5th on the PP at 23.2%.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

I got this from the stats at ESPN all I gotta say is that he's just started to excel.

Roman Cechmanek
Has posted stellar numbers of a 0.912 Save % and a GAA of 2.32, good for 19th and 19th in the league, respectively.

Things can change very rapidly, 3 days later.
Don't jump to conclusions too early.

JCD 11-07-2003 09:29 AM

Cechmanek is a notoriously slow starter.

As noted by an LA fan, his numbers are starting to shoot up notably. In fact, they are quickly approaching what he was doing here in Philly.

Getting only a 2nd for what was clearly our best goaltender in a decade is unacceptable. However, it seemed clear that Cechmanek's tenure in Philly was at it's end. Personally, I think others should have been shown the door first, but unlike many of them Cechmanek had trade value.

I think Cechmanek's play in LA will silence many of his critics. I don't know why we can't wish him success for the Kings. Cechmanek was unable to carry us through in the post-season, but he was our 3-time MVP and we wouldn't have gotten anywhere without him.

GoneFullHextall 11-07-2003 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCD
Cechmanek is a notoriously slow starter.

As noted by an LA fan, his numbers are starting to shoot up notably. In fact, they are quickly approaching what he was doing here in Philly.

Getting only a 2nd for what was clearly our best goaltender in a decade is unacceptable. However, it seemed clear that Cechmanek's tenure in Philly was at it's end. Personally, I think others should have been shown the door first, but unlike many of them Cechmanek had trade value.

I think Cechmanek's play in LA will silence many of his critics. I don't know why we can't wish him success for the Kings. Cechmanek was unable to carry us through in the post-season, but he was our 3-time MVP and we wouldn't have gotten anywhere without him.

fine i'll agree he was a great regular season goalie. after that forget it. he won one playoff series in 3 seasons. and even that he was the reason that series went 7, example dropping his glove and trying to pick it up with the puck right near by.
and for those who think we didnt get enough for Chechmanek. the price for good regular season goalies is not that much.

JCD 11-08-2003 06:01 AM

Quote:

fine i'll agree he was a great regular season goalie. after that forget it. he won one playoff series in 3 seasons. and even that he was the reason that series went 7, example dropping his glove and trying to pick it up with the puck right near by.
and for those who think we didnt get enough for Chechmanek. the price for good regular season goalies is not that much.

To be correct, he had his glove knocked off. 99% of goalies out there would do exactly the same. It looked like the Flyers had regained possession of the puck, so why not get your glove back? You can't make a save without your glove (OK, maybe ONE save, then your season is over with a broken hand).

Flyers turned the puck back over, iit ended up in the net.

I can't believe fans are knocking Cechmanek for the lack of play-off success. No, he didn't raise his game to another level and carry the team, but he was hardly the weakest link.

Against the Sens 2 years back, Cechmanek was the only reason it wasn't a sweep. He was our best player in that series. Put it this way, how many more games do you expect him to win when the team scores only 1 goal in 4 games? You could stack Parent, Fuhr, Roy, Hasek and Sawchuk all in net at the same time and not get any more than the 1 win that Cechmanek did.

The reason the Leafs went to 7 was because of Belfour. Flyers would pepper him with shots but they couldn't get any by him.

Against the Sens this year, he had some bad games. Especially the final 2. However, he was still low on the list of underachievers in that series. In the 2 years he played the Sens, the only wins have come when Cechmanek shut the Sens out. When you need your goalie to be perfect to win, then goaltending isn't your weakest link.

John Flyers Fan 11-08-2003 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCD

Against the Sens this year, he had some bad games. Especially the final 2. However, he was still low on the list of underachievers in that series. In the 2 years he played the Sens, the only wins have come when Cechmanek shut the Sens out. When you need your goalie to be perfect to win, then goaltending isn't your weakest link.

At that level of competition you can't afford to have ANY bad games from your goaltender.

I'm not saying that we lost the series because of Cechmanek, but he definitely played a big part.

When your team is not as skilled, or as healthy as the other tea your goalie needs to help you out.

The Flyers had just played a great game 4, perhaps the best checking job I've ever witnessed and evened the series at two a piece.

Flyers then go up to a raucus Correl Center, and score in the first minute and take the crowd out of the game. 7 minutes or so later Cechmanek gives up one of the weakest goals you'll ever see to Smolinski, which turned the game and the series around.

Cechmanek could no longer be trusted.

Only time wil tell of Esche or Hackett earn the trust this spring.

GKJ 11-09-2003 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan

Well despite a good game yesterday, Hackett has been giving up soft goals left anf right, as well. Malakhov, Modry, Vrbata, Mike Rupp.

However while the goalie does shoulder some of the blame, the talent level of this team is too good to give up like they did vs. Ottawa. If guys like Roenick and whoever else want to run their mouths in the playoffs, they need to rise up through adversity. How many goals did Roenick score in the Ottawa series again? Amonte? Primeau? Gagne? Any soft goals wouldn't have mattered if you cant score more than 2 goals in any single game in a series. And I'm talking about any team (except maybe the 98 Red Wings, who got bad goaltending from Osgood (who also got hurt in the 2nd round) and still won.

blah 11-09-2003 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCD

What did you expect for him? It was obvious the Flyers wanted to rid themselves of him. Goalies really don't have much value unless they are upper echelon starters which Cechmanek is not.

JCD 11-09-2003 06:19 AM

Quote:

At that level of competition you can't afford to have ANY bad games from your goaltender.

I'm not saying that we lost the series because of Cechmanek, but he definitely played a big part.

When your team is not as skilled, or as healthy as the other tea your goalie needs to help you out.

The Flyers had just played a great game 4, perhaps the best checking job I've ever witnessed and evened the series at two a piece.

Flyers then go up to a raucus Correl Center, and score in the first minute and take the crowd out of the game. 7 minutes or so later Cechmanek gives up one of the weakest goals you'll ever see to Smolinski, which turned the game and the series around.

We lost the series because Ottawa is a much better team. They out skated, out hit, out scored and flat-out outplayed us.

Only way we were getting past them is if Cechmanek put on a Roy-esque performance. He didn't, now he is gone.

RoDu 11-09-2003 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
Well despite a good game yesterday, Hackett has been giving up soft goals left anf right, as well. Malakhov, Modry, Vrbata, Mike Rupp.

However while the goalie does shoulder some of the blame, the talent level of this team is too good to give up like they did vs. Ottawa. .

i don't think they gave up against Ottawa. either they ran out of gas after the Leafs series or just couldn't take things to the next level

GoneFullHextall 11-09-2003 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blah
What did you expect for him? It was obvious the Flyers wanted to rid themselves of him. Goalies really don't have much value unless they are upper echelon starters which Cechmanek is not.

I agree. some people dont understand that non playoff goalies dont get much value in trades.
In fact some goalies who have even had better playoff sucess then Chechmanek have been outright waived. as in Chris Osgood. fine they had just got Hasek, but they could have gotten a pick for him. i will gladly take the 2nd rounder. ya never know it could be part of a deal we make this spring before the deadline.

JCD 11-10-2003 02:13 AM

Quote:

I agree. some people dont understand that non playoff goalies dont get much value in trades.
In fact some goalies who have even had better playoff sucess then Chechmanek have been outright waived. as in Chris Osgood. fine they had just got Hasek, but they could have gotten a pick for him. i will gladly take the 2nd rounder. ya never know it could be part of a deal we make this spring before the deadline.

...and yet an older, less accomplished, more injury prone and pending UFA Jeff Hackett was able to get a better return.

GoneFullHextall 11-12-2003 09:46 AM

Quote:

nothing i can add to that. its what i have been saying all along.

GoneFullHextall 11-12-2003 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCD
...and yet an older, less accomplished, more injury prone and pending UFA Jeff Hackett was able to get a better return.

Put Jeff Hackett on the trade block and see what he gets. if he gets better then a 3rd i am shocked.
goalies who are not playoff tested dont comand much in a deal, I was not talking about FA.

JCD 11-12-2003 11:01 AM

Quote:

Put Jeff Hackett on the trade block and see what he gets. if he gets better then a 3rd i am shocked.
goalies who are not playoff tested dont comand much in a deal, I was not talking about FA.

Um...

You do realize that Hackett was traded for last year. Twice in fact.

First he went for Sundstrom and a 3rd (guess you are shocked), then he was packaged with Jillson for McLaren and a 4th.

GM Bruins 11-13-2003 08:21 AM

Quote:

Cechmanek is an excellent regular season goaltender - with a SV % averaging over .92 while in Philly for 3 years - no one should complain about that...

Playoffs - thats another story. He played pretty well in 01/02 and last year in the playoffs. Tough rounds, and the Flyers couldn't skate, score or play defense. When a goaltender loses a first round series with a .936 save% and a 1.85 GAA like he did two years ago - hmmmm. Blame it on the goalie? I don't think so. Last year - same story. Oh sure - you can rip him for the glove incident. But can you guys honestly say he was the reason Philly didn't move on? No. That team wasn't good enough to move on - and Hasek, Roy, Dryden, Plante, Parent! ...you name it - no one could have saved it.

What makes a playoff goaltender? Confidence. That is one crucial ingredient that Cechmanek never had in Philly - and why? 1)The team infront of him choked in the playoffs, and 2) Bobby Clark. Plain and simple. Always looking for a scape-goat. Fans and press joined in Bobby's crusade to blame Cechmanek and he was sent walking for the price of a toothbrush.

And he was replaced by Hackett. Upgrade? No. However, if the team infront of him plays well ( as they have been so far this year ) - they may go deeper into the playoffs this year. But if the team infront of him chokes like the past couple of years - they'll be playing golf early and he'll end up being the next scape-goat to be cast away like garbage whether he plays well or not. Its always easier to blame the goaltender than the rest of the team, or dare I say - management! - right Bobby?

GoneFullHextall 11-13-2003 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCD
Um...

You do realize that Hackett was traded for last year. Twice in fact.

First he went for Sundstrom and a 3rd (guess you are shocked), then he was packaged with Jillson for McLaren and a 4th.

yeah i realized that after i logged off about the Hackett deals last year. OK i was wrong. it happens :))