HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Can Latendress play in the AHL next year..? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=255982)

Habruti! 05-30-2006 10:45 AM

Can Latendress play in the AHL next year..?

Or does he necessarily have to play Juniors...

Would be nice to have Grabovski, Latendresse, O'Byrne, Emelin, Chipchura all in Hamilton.

David_99 05-30-2006 10:47 AM

He must be at least 20, he's only now 19.

Hab at it 05-30-2006 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habruti!

Would be nice to have Grabovski, Latendresse, O'Byrne, Emelin, Chipchura all in Hamilton.

No, he's in the same boat Chipchura was in this year. He has to play in the Q but at the end of the season he can sign a contract(AHL or NHL) and play in the final games/playoffs of the AHL.

Whitesnake 05-30-2006 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habruti!

Nope, it's in the Bigs or in the Juniors, and you can bet for the second option. As far as O'Byrne, the lack of movement or hearsay in that file make me think he won't be coming next year. But it's never too late....

Kafka 05-30-2006 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hab at it
No, he's in the same boat Chipchura was in this year. He has to play in the Q but at the end of the season he can sign a contract(AHL or NHL) and play in the final games/playoffs of the AHL.

Precisely. And you can expect that to happen.

Fozz 05-30-2006 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitesnake
Nope, it's in the Bigs or in the Juniors, and you can bet for the second option. As far as O'Byrne, the lack of movement or hearsay in that file make me think he won't be coming next year. But it's never too late....

There's rarely any hearsay when a kid is signed out of college... As for movement, you knows, maybe discussions are going on.

phil 05-30-2006 11:56 AM

does he have any chances of playing in the NHL next year?? any?

loudi94 05-30-2006 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phil

Of course he does. He could have a monster camp and force the team to keep him. Then he can stay up for a few games before being returned to junior. Smart money says he goes back to junior for another year. Too bad there isn't interleague trading because I'd love to see him play in the WHL for a year just so he can learn a different style of play.

habitue* 05-30-2006 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phil

If he has a super, super, super camp + some injuries to the regulars

Bronn 05-30-2006 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hab at it

Exactly

It's still completely illogical to me but that's how it works.I truly hope that one day they change the required age to play in the AHL to 18 years old.

habitue* 05-30-2006 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Symbolic
Exactly

It's still completely illogical to me but that's how it works.I truly hope that one day they change the required age to play in the AHL to 18 years old.

I hope not, because you need some star players in the Junior system to attract people.

Bronn 05-30-2006 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habitué
I hope not, because you need some star players in the Junior system to attract people.

It doesn't really matter.

These star players could still play in the NHL if they are good enough (IE : Crosby).

Whitesnake 05-30-2006 01:05 PM

Those leagues exist as they are suppose to be development leagues (obviously more the Junior leagues than the AHL but it's still suppose to be a development league anyway)

For that reason, you shouldn't restrain a player in his development based simply on his age. If the guy can make the jump at 19 in the AHL, why can't he if it could be better to face tougher opponents instead of succeeding without trying in the Juniors.

Anksun 05-30-2006 01:55 PM

Disagree.

Where's the point of rewarding junior teams who are making their own players getting better by allowing nhl organizations to takes them all up faster?

Also, chl is a development league but it's still a business in which money is involved and fans are coming to see a good product. The Radulovs, Chipchuras, Carters are bringing people in the stands, not the Courcelles of this world.

It's already enough of an agreement that truely-exceptionals players like Crosby are allow to go directly in the nhl earlier, afterall the chl has to live.

Le Tricolore 05-30-2006 06:26 PM

I see it as this.

Many junior players are also students in CEGEP/university. If they were in the AHL, a pro league, they'd be travelling around a lot more. It's encouraged that they finish their schooling.

Of course, this probably has nothing to do with it.

sXe 05-30-2006 07:27 PM

Just raise the age for draft eligibility to 19. ( or even 20) Then once he's drafted you can play him where you like.

Habsaku 05-30-2006 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjb45
I see it as this.

Many junior players are also students in CEGEP/university. If they were in the AHL, a pro league, they'd be travelling around a lot more. It's encouraged that they finish their schooling.

Of course, this probably has nothing to do with it.

More like High school and dropouts.

Le Tricolore 05-30-2006 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habsaku
More like High school and dropouts.

Junior is up until 20 years old.

CEGEP applies, at least.

Beakermania* 05-31-2006 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sXe
Just raise the age for draft eligibility to 19. ( or even 20) Then once he's drafted you can play him where you like.

How would you avoid having a really, really weak draft the first time you moved the age? All the good 18 year olds would already be drafted leaving only leftovers as 19 year olds. Fourth and Fifth round picks would be first overall.