HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Carolina/Buffalo (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=256112)

AHF 05-30-2006 09:30 PM

Carolina/Buffalo
 
Going to game 7.

Anybody else smile when Buffalo scored in OT? :)

For all the lucky goals they've had, and calls go their way, it was poetic justice that they lost on an ugly goal. About friggin time! :handclap:

(Yes, I'm a bitter, bitter man.) :D

Shabutie 05-30-2006 09:33 PM

I nearly jumped up. I wish very bad things for Carolina. However...to be honest, I believe Edmonton has a better chance vs Carolina than vs Buffalo. BUT, Edm vs Buf would make for an extremely entertaining serie.

MathMan 05-30-2006 09:35 PM

Yay for Buffalo.

I agree with you, it would be about time Carolina's luck ran out. Bounces, calls, and especially injuries have all aided them roundly. Not to mention what they've gotten away with.

It's a shame because Carolina's otherwise a darn good team, but it wouldn't feel right for them or anyone to win a Cup like that.

TomPlex 05-30-2006 09:36 PM

AHF, I get you. I screamed when Briere scored. I hate Carolina. You know what, they can complain all they want about that supposed penalty on Williams before the goal, but they got away with so many in our series alone, and it's finally catching up to them. :handclap:

BTW, you know who I am, eh?

Habsfan18 05-30-2006 09:40 PM

Buffalo :clap: :clap:

AHF 05-30-2006 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomPlex
BTW, you know who I am, eh?

Maybe. :sarcasm:

2MFB...

Schenn02 05-30-2006 09:53 PM

For a minute, I thought why the hell were you happy Buffalo won? Then I remembered the Canes knocked you guys out. Now if the Canes didn't knock you out, would you cheer for the Canes?

I can't cheer for any NE rival so I'm going for the Canes to win the east. But the Oilers to win the cup :D

MathMan 05-30-2006 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeLeafer87
Now if the Canes didn't knock you out, would you cheer for the Canes?

In my case? I very much doubt it.

For me, it's not that the 'Canes knocked the Habs out. Last time the Bolts *swept* the Habs and I went on cheering for the Bolts, because I apreciated the way the Bolts played, I loved their offensive-minded style, and I found the personalities on that team compelling. It doesn't have anything to do with hockey's popularity down there either -- see the Lightning example for illustration.

The 'Canes? Sure they're a good team, but in my mind, if they've gotten past the Habs and dragged the Sabres to a game 7, it's because they've been incredibly lucky. The calls have gone their way. They seem to get every last bounce. To my biased view they dive and run goalies (I was actually surprised at the vehemence of a friend of mind, a Sens fan with no particular investment in the series, curse about Brind'Amour's goalie-running). Most incredible, though, is the amazing propensity of the teams they face to take injuries to key players when they start gaining momentum. Koivu, Numminen, Tallinder... It's all accidental of course, but it's no less infuriating.

They weren't a fluke team in the regular season, but they sure as heck look like one now. If they'd beaten the Habs like they won that last regular-season game against them, I might cheer for them now. I had a lot of respect for the team after that game and was ready to hand them the cup then and there. Because of their behavior in the series, I lost pretty much every iota of respect I had for that team (though I must grudgingly admit Aaron Ward at least owned up to the fact that the Koivu hit turned the tide in the Habs series).

Add to that that there isn't a single 'Cane I find likable (lack of familiarity probably doesn't help, there), and I can't stand Brind'Amour anymore, and you have the recipe for a bitter rival. Then season the idea that if it weren't for Williams' gross negligence against Koivu and the refs being incredibly one-sided from that point on in Game 3 -- well, one ref, since LaRue must've swallowed his whistle from the shock of seeing the blood on Koivu's face -- the 'Canes would have looked at a nigh-insurmountable 3-0 series deficit. The 'Canes weren't winning that game. It was handed to them on a silver platter.

Justin Williams saved the Hurricanes' season by being an idiot with his stick. That alone is grounds to despise them, and if there's any justice in the universe they won't win the Cup because of that.

NBHABSFAN 05-30-2006 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MathMan

Justin Williams saved the Hurricanes' season by being an idiot with his stick. That alone is grounds to despise them, and if there's any justice in the universe they won't win the Cup because of that.

I agree with you mostly. However, when you compare a team like Edmonton or Buffalo they are prime examples of what it takes to win a cup. And when you stack that against the habs you clearly see we don't have enough guys willing to pay the price to win the Stanley Cup.

chi777 05-30-2006 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habsfan15
Buffalo :clap: :clap:

To see a Habs fans post this makes me all weepy inside. BTW, how do you like our new French Conection, drew 4 penalties and scored 2 goals.

NBHABSFAN 05-30-2006 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chi777
To see a Habs fans post this makes me all weepy inside. BTW, how do you like our new French Conection, drew 4 penalties and scored 2 goals.

We all know Edmonton will beat you if you make it to the finals ;)

And Buffalo is a shorter drive to see a Stanley Cup game, assuming I can get tickets.

Biggsy 05-30-2006 10:15 PM

Going for Buffalo forsure i dont mind them so much and i dont like Carolina at all i dont like any teams down south ex. Car, Fla, TB , ATL
teams like that

MathMan 05-30-2006 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NBHABSFAN
I agree with you mostly. However, when you compare a team like Edmonton or Buffalo they are prime examples of what it takes to win a cup. And when you stack that against the habs you clearly see we don't have enough guys willing to pay the price to win the Stanley Cup.

I don't necessarily agree, if you'll excuse the side track.

Koivu is such a guy, and he paid the price in spades. Begin is another obvious one. Kovalev is a great playoff performer, though he was left by himself, but he elevated his game and played injured for the last few games (even if he didn't want to admit it). Bouillon and Rivet too, in their own way -- you don't notice them, which is exactly their job (contrast to when you notice Souray defensively...)

I have no doubt Chris Higgins will be a guy like that -- he was putting the effort, but as a rookie he was too dependent on Koivu and looked lost when he went down. Guys like Pleks, Perezhogin and Murray elevated their game too, I thought, and I expect they will do so in future playoff series as well.

Don't forget the Habs had four rookies in their regular lineup. Now they've got some playoff experience. That's what'll turn those guys into real playoff performers. They all brought their game up one level, which is an excellent sign.

Frankly, the Habs have a higher need of high-end talent than they do grit, IMHO.

MathMan 05-30-2006 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chi777
BTW, how do you like our new French Conection, drew 4 penalties and scored 2 goals.

That's another thing. The Sabres are practically the Habs South. ;)

I love their never-give-up attitude, too.

AHF 05-30-2006 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeLeafer87
Now if the Canes didn't knock you out, would you cheer for the Canes?

Nope.

MathMan covered it pretty darn well.

-Brind'Amour's constant whinning, to go along with his running of the goalies has earned him an entry on my most-hated players list. Doug Weight and Justin Williams are also on this list.

-Crazy amount of lucky goals. Goals from behind the net (I can count 3 of the top of my head), ugly OT goals. Their luck has to run out, no?

-Not the most knowledgable fans. The Canes board on here is something else. I won't bother ever going there again. Yikes.

-They eliminated us in 2002 as well.

All in all, I hate them with a passion. I hate the Sabres too, but I'm cheering for them in this round without question.

LeHab 05-30-2006 10:33 PM

Does anyone know if the 7th game will be on CBC ?

Watsatheo 05-30-2006 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MathMan
In my case? I very much doubt it.

For me, it's not that the 'Canes knocked the Habs out. Last time the Bolts *swept* the Habs and I went on cheering for the Bolts, because I apreciated the way the Bolts played, I loved their offensive-minded style, and I found the personalities on that team compelling. It doesn't have anything to do with hockey's popularity down there either -- see the Lightning example for illustration.

The 'Canes? Sure they're a good team, but in my mind, if they've gotten past the Habs and dragged the Sabres to a game 7, it's because they've been incredibly lucky. The calls have gone their way. They seem to get every last bounce. To my biased view they dive and run goalies (I was actually surprised at the vehemence of a friend of mind, a Sens fan with no particular investment in the series, curse about Brind'Amour's goalie-running). Most incredible, though, is the amazing propensity of the teams they face to take injuries to key players when they start gaining momentum. Koivu, Numminen, Tallinder... It's all accidental of course, but it's no less infuriating.

They weren't a fluke team in the regular season, but they sure as heck look like one now. If they'd beaten the Habs like they won that last regular-season game against them, I might cheer for them now. I had a lot of respect for the team after that game and was ready to hand them the cup then and there. Because of their behavior in the series, I lost pretty much every iota of respect I had for that team (though I must grudgingly admit Aaron Ward at least owned up to the fact that the Koivu hit turned the tide in the Habs series).

Add to that that there isn't a single 'Cane I find likable (lack of familiarity probably doesn't help, there), and I can't stand Brind'Amour anymore, and you have the recipe for a bitter rival. Then season the idea that if it weren't for Williams' gross negligence against Koivu and the refs being incredibly one-sided from that point on in Game 3 -- well, one ref, since LaRue must've swallowed his whistle from the shock of seeing the blood on Koivu's face -- the 'Canes would have looked at a nigh-insurmountable 3-0 series deficit. The 'Canes weren't winning that game. It was handed to them on a silver platter.

Justin Williams saved the Hurricanes' season by being an idiot with his stick. That alone is grounds to despise them, and if there's any justice in the universe they won't win the Cup because of that.

I agree, that pretty much how i feel.

However, there a couple of likable Canes. Eric Cole is a likable player, even if he is a Habs killer, got to love the way he plays.
He's #2 in my present time top 3 fav players.

Maithz 05-30-2006 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeLeafer87
For a minute, I thought why the hell were you happy Buffalo won? Then I remembered the Canes knocked you guys out. Now if the Canes didn't knock you out, would you cheer for the Canes?

I can't cheer for any NE rival so I'm going for the Canes to win the east. But the Oilers to win the cup :D


In my case I could say that I've never been a fan of Canes even before the playoffs , but Buffalo is full of French players and I'm proud of being Quebecois :yo:

Habs 4 Life 05-31-2006 08:20 AM

I just hope Carolina looses,They don't even deserve an NHL team.Bring back the Whalers..

Go Sabres all the way

MathMan 06-01-2006 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MathMan
Most incredible, though, is the amazing propensity of the teams they face to take injuries to key players when they start gaining momentum. Koivu, Numminen, Tallinder... It's all accidental of course, but it's no less infuriating.

And now McKee. Once again whenever the 'Canes face anything resembling adversity (like facing elimination in this case) Fate hands them an extra card.

At this rate, Carolina is going to win the Stanley Cup in a way that'll impress no one... "A vaincre sans peril..." ;)

jcpenny 06-01-2006 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NBHABSFAN
We all know Edmonton will beat you if you make it to the finals ;)

And Buffalo is a shorter drive to see a Stanley Cup game, assuming I can get tickets.

A healthy Buffalo team would beat Edmonton, now im not sure anymore.

Bryzga lol* 06-01-2006 01:53 PM

I've got a bunch of Hurricanes in my hockey pool and I'm a big Staal fan, so I'm rootin' for the Canes tonight. I don't have any hard feelings towards the first round win against the Habs haha.

Habsfan18 06-01-2006 02:05 PM

GO SABRES!!!!

Buffalo vs Edmonton would be great :clap:

blindedbyfear 06-01-2006 02:36 PM

The choice for me is not even close.

Let's Go Buffalo.

I'm a Habs fan since I was small (thanks dad, may you rest in peace). I remember being read The Hockey Sweater before I went to bed at night.

I happen to be from the states. Upstate NY. Erik Cole's hometown, in fact. He went to the same high school as I did. Although I was a couple of years ahead of him, he was on the team when I graduated. Nice kid, nice family.

You would think this would make me a de facto Hurricanes fan. Not even close.

I love everything Erik Cole has done. But he's not on this team, and even if he was, I don't know if I could cheer for them even if that meant that the Stanley Cup would be at the Harborfest parade this summer. I hate Rod Brind'amour, I hate the "mercenaries" (Doug Weight, Mark Recchi, etc.). I hate Justin Williams, Matt Cullen, and the Adamses. Cam Ward is money, but I've seen him in the AHL and have no bitter feelings towards him. I hate Eric Staal. To the point where I wouldn't have him on my fantasy team if you gave him to me.

I hate Peter Laviolette, his attitude, and everything about that team. I hate their fans.

I've always had a soft spot for the Sabres. Most of my friends who are extremely knowledgeable hockey fans are Sabres fans. The stupid ones like the Rangers (OMG Mark Messier, Jaromir Jagr lol), and now the Hurricanes. My first live NHL playoff game was a Sabres game. Hockey belongs in Western NY, it belongs in Buffalo. The Cup belongs in Buffalo. I'm not a big Tom Golisano fan as a person, but he gets carte blanche from me pretty much for keeping the Sabres there.

I love Rick Jeanerette, I remember Mayday. I remember watching Game 6 of the 1999 finals at a friend's house, on one of my first dates with my now soon-to-be wife and seeing lifelong friends nearly cry after that goal.

I was a big Oil fan (along with the Habs, of course) growing up in the 80s. I could live with Edmonton winning the Cup. I'd be happy for them, thrilled for the great Canadian fans on this board.

But if Carolina wins, I'm breaking things.

I'm thinking about going out tonight to watch this game, and sitting below the framed Erik Cole jersey, just to see the bandwagoners cry when Drury nails it home in dooouuubbbblllleeeee oooovvvvveeerrrtttiiiimmmmeeeee!

Let's Go Sabres!

AHF 06-01-2006 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blindedbyfear
But if Carolina wins, I'm breaking things.

That's the spirit! :handclap: :biglaugh: :D


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:45 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.