HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Lidstrom wants more then Richards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=256254)

The n00b King * 05-31-2006 02:19 PM

Lidstrom wants more then Richards

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/205457.html

Now Richards is making 7.8M$....Lidstrom is without question one of the best D-man of all time...

If you're Detroit's GM...what do you do? Considering the amount of guys you have to resign AND try to find a real #1 Goaltender...

Wouldnt want to be in his shoes...

Id almost be inclined to let him walk. One can still build a VERY solid team on a lot less...

I mean im glad that with the new CBA, no team can afford more then one of these guys, but still...yeesh...that's a lot of cash...

Shabutie 05-31-2006 02:25 PM

Well they were ready to sign him for 7m$. Imo all this means is that they'll have to get rid of a few players (Lang comes to mind).

The n00b King * 05-31-2006 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shabutie
Well they were ready to sign him for 7m$. Imo all this means is that they'll have to get rid of a few players (Lang comes to mind).

someone's wet dream might come true after all.

gars59 05-31-2006 02:31 PM

Thank jay feater !!!!!!! :madfire: :madfire: :madfire: :madfire:

phil 05-31-2006 02:52 PM

Find a #1 goalie? they still won the regular season with a pair of #1B goalies which is still quite good... I say they sign Lindstrom and keep the same goalie combinaison as last year... the cap is going up anyways... they don't need much change to win it again...

Guy Caballero 05-31-2006 03:13 PM

If anyone in the NHL is a league-max guy, Lidstrom is. He's been one of the top 5 MVPs in the NHL for as long as I can remember.

Blind Gardien 05-31-2006 03:13 PM

I don't see the problem here. Didn't Lidstrom already make the league max $7.6M last season? So you bump him up to $8-8.5M... you're just adding $1M to the payroll at most, which is easily accomodated given the rising cap. :dunno:

The n00b King * 05-31-2006 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
I don't see the problem here. Didn't Lidstrom already make the league max $7.6M last season? So you bump him up to $8-8.5M... you're just adding $1M to the payroll at most, which is easily accomodated given the rising cap. :dunno:

it's still too much money man...that just means there will be more guys looking for that kind of pay and they'll be more dumb contracts...it's never gonna stop ugh...it's creating a cycle again. Granted this time, it's better moderated, but i didnt think that after only one season, guys would already fetch over 7M$ a year...Savard's gonna be one of those bad contracts, i can just smell it...

Astaroth 05-31-2006 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaolin_goon
it's still too much money man...that just means there will be more guys looking for that kind of pay and they'll be more dumb contracts...it's never gonna stop ugh...it's creating a cycle again. Granted this time, it's better moderated, but i didnt think that after only one season, guys would already fetch over 7M$ a year...Savard's gonna be one of those bad contracts, i can just smell it...

If any player deserves it, it's Lidstrom.

Artie 05-31-2006 03:47 PM

I've said this before, I'll say it again.

The salary cap was not necessarily intended to keep players salaries down. It was meant to make sure that 1 team could not stockpile all the high priced talent. You can still pay your top elite players, but you have to manage the rest of the payroll accordingly.

Secondly it has created (dare I say it) "cost certainty" for the owners in terms of hit to the bottom line. All teams now have an idea of what to put in the budget for the "player costs" line item. They can allocate as they see fit.

GM's will be evaluated on how they get the best value for the $$$ they spend from here on in. So if you can afford a player at 8 million and you think it will put your team deeper into the playoffs then you do it.

Talent Analyst 05-31-2006 03:51 PM

OMG ... Richards , Lidstrom (will be), Gaborik (will be) , Jagr at the top ... who's next ? Jay Feaster has does a big mistake for the league :shakehead

ti-vite 05-31-2006 03:52 PM

Quote:

Detroit cannot keep 5 Lidstroms. And worst case scenario eventually every team will be pushing the cap maximum, so there will be guys wanting the max, and nobody to give it. To make room, marginal players (3rd,4th) will be all at league minimum. The talent is going to get distributed throughout the league.

The n00b King * 05-31-2006 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ti-vite
Detroit cannot keep 5 Lidstroms. And worst case scenario eventually every team will be pushing the cap maximum, so there will be guys wanting the max, and nobody to give it. To make room, marginal players (3rd,4th) will be all at league minimum. The talent is going to get distributed throughout the league.

yeah i agree with you. the talent will definitely be spread out. but when you end up tying 1/4th of your salary max in one player, that really can create all kinds of internal jealousy i think. It's tricky.

we'll see how things look in 3 years. See if everything is gonna balance out.

Team_Spirit 05-31-2006 05:26 PM

Lidstrom deserve it , he's the kind of player that completly change your team and makes everyone better.

Habsfan 32 05-31-2006 05:51 PM

I think Lidstrom deserves it more then any player in the league. So it's all good. He's going to be the Norris Trophy winner and Winner of 4 of the last 5.

Habsaku 05-31-2006 05:52 PM

Richards or no Richards, Lidstrom was going to get the Max. He's basically the best player in the league at the moment, just look at Iginla's ridiculous salary. Honestly, people are in denial with these contracts. If theres a cap, why wouldnt some players get up to that said cap? Get real, 3M dollar salaries for top of the line players are never ever ever gonna happen.

toughstuff 05-31-2006 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talent Analyst
OMG ... Richards , Lidstrom (will be), Gaborik (will be) , Jagr at the top ... who's next ? Jay Feaster has does a big mistake for the league :shakehead

Am i way in left field by saying that Jay Feaster made an error and that other GMs should stick to this.

Anytime an agent brings up the comparison, GMs should state it was an error...period... Stick to the hard line. This is their first big test (the owners) They don't have to repeat the error. :dunno:

As for Lidstrom: He has been with the Wings all these years but wings have very little to show. Albeit 2 cups is much more then others have but still expectations were much greater. I would suggest a change of blood (Jovo, Redden, Chara) and let him walk.

My 2 cents

Artyukhin* 05-31-2006 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toughstuff
Am i way in left field by saying that Jay Feaster made an error and that other GMs should stick to this.

Anytime an agent brings up the comparison, GMs should state it was an error...period... Stick to the hard line. This is their first big test (the owners) They don't have to repeat the error. :dunno:

As for Lidstrom: He has been with the Wings all these years but wings have very little to show. Albeit 2 cups is much more then others have but still expectations were much greater. I would suggest a change of blood (Jovo, Redden, Chara) and let him walk.

My 2 cents

if the wings let him go id sign him in montreal asap

6 million in a goal tender (theo) or 8 million in lindstrom sign the guy durable only missed 13 games in 10 yrs - mvp dman that a no brainer detriot would be nutts to let him go

he is older but 2 yr 16 million deal you couldnt go to far wrong there .

deal souray and sign vandermeer to replace him next year

znk 05-31-2006 09:31 PM

Quote:

Look at it this way...once most of the teams have reached the cap....some players will be forced to sign cheap or they wont have a place to play.

Artyukhin* 05-31-2006 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by znk
Look at it this way...once most of the teams have reached the cap....some players will be forced to sign cheap or they wont have a place to play.

more expansion teams :biglaugh:

Stiffler 05-31-2006 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by znk

Agreed. And anyway, this thread is about Lidstrom, some mention Jagr, Iginla, these guys are exceptional, they proved their worth and won trophies. We should not, in a cap world, be debating on their salaries. Richards, St-Louis, McCabe and Khabibulin are much more questionnable. How many Art Ross has Jagr won? How many Norris has Lidstrom won? I would take a Lidstrom at 8 any day on the habs. We all know he is worth it. And we all know the habs payroll won't go over 43,5 (or whatever the cap will be).

ti-vite 05-31-2006 09:52 PM

Quote:

yeah i agree with you. the talent will definitely be spread out. but when you end up tying 1/4th of your salary max in one player, that really can create all kinds of internal jealousy i think. It's tricky.

we'll see how things look in 3 years. See if everything is gonna balance out.

Its tricky...for detroit.

Smart teams willl realise that winning goes through replacing your old talent with young talent through drafting, and timing it all so it fits. Ex: Kovalev retires but has his 'pupils' Kost and Perez to take over. Markov will ahve Emelin, etc... Those players will be good max 5 years (UFA at 26,27?) with habs before they look for top dollar.

Teams will be looking to 'peak' with the most players possible at the same time, that why I like the potential of influxing another few rookies this year on the habs, get the core together and grow a bunch of guys up to 26-27 years old. Gainey sees this.

Teufelsdreck 05-31-2006 09:56 PM

I shudder to think about the size of these salaries but Lidstrom is easily worth more than Richards.

The n00b King * 05-31-2006 10:48 PM

yeah i agree. Lidstrom is definitely top dollar worthy.

i guess it's the comparison to Richards. But i mean Every single contract Tampa issued have been ridiculous. I mean come on...St-Louis got WAY too much, and so did Lecavalier. Richards is technically better then both of those guys, although i dont know what other things he can bring that arent shown on the score sheet. When i was watching the lightning playoffs this year, he didnt stick out to me as being up and over his other teamates. Boyle was someone who i saw was really pushing....

Tampa's the one who's going to have a lot of problems real fast. Especially if next year's revenues are equal or less then this year's...tying over half your salary cap into 3 guys...that's not too smart to me....

wedge 06-01-2006 07:22 AM

what I've never understood about Richards and the story about Feaster being affraid of Gainey, is why Feaster didn't wait for Richards to get the offer from Gainey and then just match the offer. I really don't think that Gainey would have offered 7.8 millions. Let's say Gainey had offered 7 millions and it was the best offer. Feaster would just have to match it and then, it's a 800 000$ saved. I really don't understand why he was afraid to lose a RFA when he could match the offer. That makes the signing even more stupid IMO.

And then you'll have guys like Savard, as one said, who will ask top money because he can compare his stats to Richards.