HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Tampa sign Holmqvist (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=256565)

The n00b King * 06-01-2006 02:10 PM

Tampa sign Holmqvist

interesting news indeed...

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/205538.html

things are looking tricky now concerning Aebi or any other goalie now arent they?

Blind Gardien 06-01-2006 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaolin_goon
interesting news indeed...

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/205538.html

things are looking tricky now concerning Aebi or any other goalie now arent they?

Not just tricky...more like impossible. See, Tampa had the plan all along. They still have Burke under contract, and now they have Norrena and Holmqvist to duke it out for the other spot. Cheap, near-minimum contracts to goalies like this will always be the way to go rather than picking up an Aebischer who is not any more attractive at $1.9M than these veteran Europeans. They get both of them together for half an Aebischer, and who knows, either of them could be just as good. They get to find out during the course of most of next season. And if they find the experiment fails and they still need somebody, they pick them up nearer to the deadline when a good chunk of their salary has already been paid out and it doesn't affect their cap. Makes sense.

CareyClutch 06-01-2006 02:21 PM

Abby will be the starter of the habs this season

Team_Spirit 06-01-2006 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
Not just tricky...more like impossible. See, Tampa had the plan all along. They still have Burke under contract, and now they have Norrena and Holmqvist to duke it out for the other spot. Cheap, near-minimum contracts to goalies like this will always be the way to go rather than picking up an Aebischer who is not any more attractive at $1.9M than these veteran Europeans. They get both of them together for half an Aebischer, and who knows, either of them could be just as good. They get to find out during the course of most of next season. And if they find the experiment fails and they still need somebody, they pick them up nearer to the deadline when a good chunk of their salary has already been paid out and it doesn't affect their cap. Makes sense.

Make sense ? People bash the Flyers for not getting a goalie and their backup would be the clearcut no1 on Tampa . If im Tampa i would be pissed , unless there something we dont know about Norrena and Homlqvist i really doubt they are on teh same level as Aebischer .

Going Back to Cally 06-01-2006 02:42 PM

Homlqvist at best will be the starter in AHL, he wasn't brought in to start. Feaster has always said since the season ended that the Lightning's starting goalie will come from a trade.

Habs514 06-01-2006 02:46 PM

Now we need to start the Aebischer to Vancouver rumors. :sarcasm:

Blind Gardien 06-01-2006 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
Make sense ? People bash the Flyers for not getting a goalie and their backup would be the clearcut no1 on Tampa . If im Tampa i would be pissed , unless there something we dont know about Norrena and Homlqvist i really doubt they are on teh same level as Aebischer .

They made the playoffs last year with Grahame and Burke. I figure you can't get too much worse than that. :dunno: And while Norrena *AND* Holmqvist may not be on the same level as Aebischer, the possibility that just *one* of them pans out to be as good, or essentially as capable as Grahame or Burke, at 1/4 the cost... while it's for sure a worthwhile risk. It makes perfect sense to me, given the Bolts' payroll situation especially. Feaster isn't the idiot that most of you would like to believe. And he has tons of built-in safety net on this move, because there are always going to be deadline options when the salary factor is completely eliminated. That's the time to get your Giguere or Nabokov if necessary, not now. Smart all around.

Beakermania* 06-01-2006 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs514
Now we need to start the Aebischer to Vancouver rumors. :sarcasm:

Nope, hes off to the other florida team as part of a package for thier goalie. How long til that rumour is revisted?? :sarcasm:

beowulf 06-01-2006 03:13 PM

Any word if it is a one way contract? Unless he suddenly blossoms like some goalies do at around his age even older, uhummm Huet, I do not see him as the future of the Lightnings goaltending. Still might turn out to be a good move.

Habs 4 Life 06-01-2006 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason allison'fans
Abby will be the starter of the habs this season

I think your right,I have a feeling that Gainey will not re-sign Huet or if he does the value will be better for Gainey to trade Huet

jcpenny 06-01-2006 04:03 PM

Aebisher will not be a starter for this team, he wasnt good enough for Colorado and hes certainly not good enough for us.

CareyClutch 06-01-2006 04:06 PM

some people here tend to forget that Aebischer had a stellar year in 2003-2004 and he can handle heavy work ( 60 start+) he had a rough start in 2005-2006..but still have a 2 streak of 7 win in a row...

jcpenny 06-01-2006 04:10 PM

Quote:

some people here tend to forget that Aebischer had a stellar year in 2003-2004 and he can handle heavy work ( 60 start+) he had a rough start in 2005-2006..but still have a 2 streak of 7 win in a row...

Some people also know that he had Blake, Liles, Foote and a much better team in front of him. Huet was simply better than Aebisher in every categories.

CareyClutch 06-01-2006 04:33 PM

i hope u will not cry when huet wil not be signed by BG...

Team_Spirit 06-01-2006 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcpenny
Some people also know that he had Blake, Liles, Foote and a much better team in front of him. Huet was simply better than Aebisher in every categories.

We saw what Aebischer is capable of , the best(Ottawa game) and the worst(Pitsburgh game) . While he was pretty exciting and solid in the back2back wins against Ottawa he was very very shaky against Pitsburgh. Most Avs fans think he's inconsistent and with a team like the Habs you need a superior goalie to calm the team and get some confidence going , Huet was amazing doing this and keeping it cool. If Abby can perform to a certain level for an extended period of time he's no worst than Huet. In an ideal world we would start the year with Abby and Huet and ride the hot hand . Moog/T-Bo & Hackett/Theo duo's worked well for us in the past so why not Abby/Huet ?

jcpenny 06-01-2006 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
We saw what Aebischer is capable of , the best(Ottawa game) and the worst(Pitsburgh game) . While he was pretty exciting and solid in the back2back wins against Ottawa he was very very shaky against Pitsburgh. Most Avs fans think he's inconsistent and with a team like the Habs you need a superior goalie to calm the team and get some confidence going , Huet was amazing doing this and keeping it cool. If Abby can perform to a certain level for an extended period of time he's no worst than Huet. In an ideal world we would start the year with Abby and Huet and ride the hot hand . Moog/T-Bo & Hackett/Theo duo's worked well for us in the past so why not Abby/Huet ?

Even though he played great against Ottawa ( who were missing half of their Dmen and Havlat) he was extremely shaky and lucky allowing many bad rebounds and poor control. Aebi is a good goalie but he scares the heck out of me everytime hes outhere with his poor rebound control and confidence struggles. Im more comfortable with Huet cuz when things go bad you know hes not panicking.

znk 06-01-2006 11:36 PM

Quote:

i hope u will not cry when huet wil not be signed by BG...

Ok..give me one intelligent reason why not he would not sign him?