HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   2 live Oiler games in one month (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=25684)

dawgbone 11-05-2003 09:29 AM

2 live Oiler games in one month

I know this is meaningless to some of you out in Edmonton... but to me it's huge.

This is the first time I have ever been to 2 Oiler games in a month... matter of fact, I have done 2 in a year twice... very unchartered waters for me.

I just got tickets to the Leafs-Oilers this Saturday, and On Nov 26th I will be making the 4 our trek to Detroit to watch the Oilers and wings.

This is just a friendly reminder to all the Oiler fans in Edmonton... don't take this opportunity for granted... go watch them live, enjoy it... because there are others who would love to go.

Yanner39 11-05-2003 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawgbone
I know this is meaningless to some of you out in Edmonton... but to me it's huge.

This is the first time I have ever been to 2 Oiler games in a month... matter of fact, I have done 2 in a year twice... very unchartered waters for me.

I just got tickets to the Leafs-Oilers this Saturday, and On Nov 26th I will be making the 4 our trek to Detroit to watch the Oilers and wings.

This is just a friendly reminder to all the Oiler fans in Edmonton... don't take this opportunity for granted... go watch them live, enjoy it... because there are others who would love to go.

Here, here. I'll them only once and that's on Thursday vs the Sens.

LawnDemon 11-05-2003 09:44 AM

question for both of you (and anyone else who feels like answering)...

how did you become oiler fans?

i'm always interested to hear how people caught "the oiler fever".

personally, i grew up in St. Albert (just north of edmonton) during the "dynasty days". let me tell you, it was quite the thrill to watch that team live. now that i live in calgary i find it almost more fun to be an oiler fan. these calgarians really are jealous folks! ;)

the rest of you?

dawgbone 11-05-2003 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnDemon

personally, i grew up in St. Albert (just north of edmonton) during the "dynasty days". let me tell you, it was quite the thrill to watch that team live. now that i live in calgary i find it almost more fun to be an oiler fan. these calgarians really are jealous folks! ;)

the rest of you?

I lived in Edmonton for about 7 years (basically from 6 months old to 7 and a half). I first started liking hockey while I lived there and when it was time to pick a team, the choice was really simple...

1. Best player in the league
2. Hometown team
3. Winning (hey, I was a kid).

Then I moved out to Ontario, and kept following them (and yes, even through the crappy years I would wear my Jersey proudly). So now I do my own little thing to support the Oilers as best I can. I buy 2 tickets every year to an Oilers home game (that gets used as a raffle prize for my cousin's hockey team, they are out-west), and I have owned, or co-owned seasons tickets to the Dogs and runners the past 4 seasons... plus I usually convince some member(s) of my family to get me tickets to the usual Oiler-Leaf game in February... but seeing as this one is in November, I had to go it alone this time... stupid Christmas being in December :(

Oilersyul89 11-05-2003 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawgbone

Don't want to boast, but I was at the Bell Centre last night...driving to Ottawa tomorrow night and continuing the "Great Ontario Road Trip" tomorrow Saturday Night in T.O.!

BTW, Do you think I will get gauged by scalpers for Saturday's game?

Later..

Walsher 11-05-2003 10:53 AM

Don't worry about us in Edmonton we run Skyreach as close to 100% capacity as any team in the league.

dawgbone 11-05-2003 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny08
Don't want to boast, but I was at the Bell Centre last night...driving to Ottawa tomorrow night and continuing the "Great Ontario Road Trip" tomorrow Saturday Night in T.O.!

BTW, Do you think I will get gauged by scalpers for Saturday's game?

Later..

definitely... if there is any chance you can get tickets any other way, I suggest you do it, because scalpers are going to absolutely kill you (I went to buy one year from one... triple the ticket price).

Then again, you may get lucky, but I wouldn't count on that.

Yanner39 11-05-2003 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnDemon

the rest of you?

I was a Habs fan by default because all my family was. When the Oilers came into the league, they were fast and exciting and had a player by the name of Gretzky. It was also at that time where I was a little older and started following hockey in general alot more.

It's funny because I think I'm a bigger fan now than in the '80s mostly because in that era, the Oilers would pretty much always win. On any night, it was a given that they would come out with a victory. From the '90s onward, it wasn;t the case so I would follow them more, see what moves they would make, possible trade, drafts ,etc. The guy I going with to the game tomorrow used to be a huge Oiler fan as well. But when the Sens came in the league, he turned on me. *******.

Slats432 11-05-2003 01:21 PM

I grew up a Habs fan in Northern Ontario, but even then, there was a contingent of fans that liked the Oilers. And for some reason out there in Ontario we had a weird cable set up where we got...ITV :handclap: .

The more you watched, the more you wanted to watch...and being so close to Winnipeg, the WHA was familiar as well. The Oil were a known quality in my town.

So when I moved to Alberta, the alliegience was split down the middle...Habs and Oilers. (Always a tough game to watch for me....I never know who to cheer for....sometimes I just cheer for who is playing at Home for the home crowd to go home happy, unless one of the teams really needs the W. Ah...it is a horror show. :shakehead )