HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Higgins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=256917)

toshiro 06-02-2006 02:17 PM

Higgins

Woodlief on Higgins in his draft year

Greensboro nc: What about this Yale kid Higgins? Is he too small to be an impact player? If not, who would you compare him to. Briere maybe?

Kyle Woodlief: I don't think Chris Higgins will ever score 30 goals in the NHL like Briere did this year. I don't think he's talented enough at his size to be an impact player. I would view him more as a third-line high energy player.

Habsfan18 06-02-2006 02:19 PM

old.

Higgins played great all season and I hope he keeps it up next year.

But those who think that he'll be a 30-35 goal scorer year after year may be dissapointed.

PockIsGoD 06-02-2006 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habsfan15
old.

But those who think that he'll be a 30-35 goal scorer year after year may be dissapointed.

Yeah! As much as I like Higgins, he played out of his ******* mind for most of the second part of the season! But hey! If he become a regular 30 goals scorer, I won't complain! :)

Edit : Typo

Rather Gingerly 1* 06-02-2006 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toshiro
Woodlief on Higgins in his draft year

Greensboro nc: What about this Yale kid Higgins? Is he too small to be an impact player? If not, who would you compare him to. Briere maybe?

Kyle Woodlief: I don't think Chris Higgins will ever score 30 goals in the NHL like Briere did this year. I don't think he's talented enough at his size to be an impact player. I would view him more as a third-line high energy player.

As I keep reading past Redlines I keep losing respect for Kyle Woodlief. I don't know rather to stop reading past editions of Redline or just be glad to have something to read.

sXe 06-02-2006 02:35 PM

I think he can have a Ryan Smyth-like career staying in front of the net and getting the odd 30 goals here and there.

417 06-02-2006 02:36 PM

He's always been an offensive player throughout his career and i never understood why anyone would think differently :dunno:

Maybe because he's responsible in all 3 zones :dunno:

There's this stigma with Chris Higgins that he's some super defensive forward with 'some' offensive potential. Truth is, he's an offensive forward first and foremost, he just also happens to have good defensive awareness.

Furthermore, one thing surprised me about Higgins this season. It's his strength, especially along the boards. While he's not huge in stature 6' 195lbs, his strength allows him to play much bigger.

417 06-02-2006 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habsfan15
old.

It all depends...if Higgins plays with a guy like Koivu next year and is healthy, 30-35 goals isn't out of the question, in fact, it's quite attainable. If you put Higgins in an offensive role, he'll produce.

Why would you think he's incapable of scoring 30 or 35 goals?

He's got the shot, fearlessness, tenacity and instincts to do just that.

hockey_hamster 06-02-2006 03:16 PM

Chris Higgins = Chris Drury

Both are responsible two-way players who are capable of scoring 30 goals and 60-70 points per season.

fatmax 06-02-2006 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niagara_Habster
Chris Higgins = Chris Drury

Both are responsible two-way players who are capable of scoring 30 goals and 60-70 points per season.

I hope Higgins will be as good as Drury because Drury as a lot of skills, not sure if Higgins as the same potential

toshiro 06-02-2006 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatmax
I hope Higgins will be as good as Drury because Drury as a lot of skills, not sure if Higgins as the same potential

Higgins is tougher and stronger less of a playmaker may be a better scorer.

Marchy79 06-02-2006 04:35 PM

I honestly think he's going to be a great player for us in the years to come. Due to his adoration of the habs... he should be a lifer (along with buddy, Mikey Komisarek) ...
I believe that we've only seen the tip of the iceberg for Higgins... What many havent realized was he was a kid on draft day... but he's seriously worked out over the past couple of years... He's very dedicated on helping our squad out... IMO he'll be even better next year. :handclap:

Toro 06-02-2006 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 417 TO MTL
It all depends...if Higgins plays with a guy like Koivu next year and is healthy, 30-35 goals isn't out of the question, in fact, it's quite attainable. If you put Higgins in an offensive role, he'll produce.

i usually agree with your posts.....And i agree once again....

toshiro 06-02-2006 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 417 TO MTL

and speed.

couris 06-02-2006 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatmax

I don't want to sound like an ortograph complainer but since i saw the same mistake twice... It's "has" and not "as"

BJCOLLINS 06-02-2006 05:22 PM

The thing that amazed me about Higgins in the first half on the season was how many posts he hit. My buddy who's an Oiler fan first brought it to my attention.....he was bitter K Lowe switched the pick and selected J Ninimaki. BTW he's not bitter right now.

CH Wizard 06-02-2006 05:25 PM

As like 417 said, Chris is a special player. He could play a top 6 role...because he has some skills and interesting speed. When I saw him in college, he was smaller then he is. I thought, he wouldn't be a really dominant player as well but his speed really impressed me. He has above average acceleration I'd say. He can score 25 and plus goals, fairly easily if he plays top 6 role for like a complete season. He's really a solid pk'er too, I'm glad we drafted him.

jpchabby 06-02-2006 10:52 PM

I think he's the kind of guy which is realle hard to place in a category of players... some players are playmakers, others pure goal-scorers... others just have HUGE speed (bulis loll), some are defensive forwards...

but where would you place Higgins?? I'm unable...

David_99 06-02-2006 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpchabby
I think he's the kind of guy which is realle hard to place in a category of players... some players are playmakers, others pure goal-scorers... others just have HUGE speed (bulis loll), some are defensive forwards...

but where would you place Higgins?? I'm unable...

He's a rare breed, he is. He can play at any position in any situation (although I have yet to see him in goal, I assume he is pretty decent ;) ). For too long we've had players that excelled at one apect of the game, but not the other aspects. (Ex Perrault, Bulis). He's the kind of 3 dimentional player you win cups with... with the appropriate supporting cast of course.

Form and Substance 06-02-2006 11:18 PM

I'm absolutely sold on Higgins. He does all the little things so well and he works so hard. Although he has an awkward upward skating stride, his takeoff and speed is absolutely incredible.