HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Kovalev A center (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=257220)

superstar436 06-03-2006 08:40 PM

Kovalev A center
 
a suggestion or a thaught that I always had.

why don't we convert kovalev to center. He likes to controle the puck and pass more than shooting it. (thanks pere noel)

If u had this thread before I am sorry

Phil Parent 06-03-2006 08:43 PM

Of course, you do know he's a natural center, right?

That's right. He played junior as a center, and he often did in the NHL too. But most of the time in the NHL, he's playing wing because he's got the qualities to be a great winger.

Souffle 06-03-2006 09:35 PM

I've thought the same thing. If he can take face-offs, I'd try it out.

Talent Analyst 06-03-2006 09:44 PM

If he can win many faceoff ... I said yes

Le Tricolore 06-03-2006 11:09 PM

He played centre in the Olympics a bit, didn't he?

Pere Noel 06-04-2006 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waseem
a suggestion or a thaught that I always had.

why don't we convert kovalev to center. He likes to controle the puck and he likes ti shoot more than passing.

If u had this thread before I am sorry

...I am sure you meant to say "he likes to pass more than he likes to shoot" (you said the opposite).

You can edit your message to remove the ambiguity.

All that being said, an interesting comment.

Joey 06-04-2006 12:36 AM

Kovalev won 23 out of 47 faceoffs this year to finish with a 48.9% on the year.


Name----Faceoffs Taken------% Won--------% of Team's Faceoffs

Koivu-----1412 ----------------53.8----------------- 32.5
Dagenais------81----------------53.1-------------------- 4.0
Ryder----------17----------------52.9------------------- 0.3
Higgins--------45----------------51.1-------------------0.9
Plekanec-----708 --------------50.3-------------------17.4
Begin-------573----------------50.1-------------------12.5
Kovalev------47--------------------48.9-------------------------1.1
Bonk-------963----------------47.4-------------------26.6
Murray------- 99----------------46.5---------------------4.5
Ribeiro------843----------------44.7-------------------17.5
Bulis-------129----------------44.2 ---------------------2.9



wow that took a long *** time for being so pointless!

Talent Analyst 06-04-2006 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey
Kovalev won 23 out of 47 faceoffs this year to finish with a 48.9% on the year.


Name----Faceoffs Taken------% Won--------% of Team's Faceoffs

Koivu-----1412 ----------------53.8----------------- 32.5
Dagenais------81----------------53.1-------------------- 4.0
Ryder----------17----------------52.9------------------- 0.3
Higgins--------45----------------51.1-------------------0.9
Plekanec-----708 --------------50.3-------------------17.4
Begin-------573----------------50.1-------------------12.5
Kovalev------47--------------------48.9-------------------------1.1
Bonk-------963----------------47.4-------------------26.6
Murray------- 99----------------46.5---------------------4.5
Ribeiro------843----------------44.7-------------------17.5
Bulis-------129----------------44.2 ---------------------2.9



wow that took a long *** time for being so pointless!

That mea nthat Koivu is our Master :teach: :bow:

Clumsyhab 06-04-2006 12:45 AM

Dagenais at 53.1% on faceoff? I think we finally find our big #2 center :yo:

Pere Noel 06-04-2006 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey
Kovalev won 23 out of 47 faceoffs this year to finish with a 48.9% on the year.


Name----Faceoffs Taken------% Won--------% of Team's Faceoffs

Koivu-----1412 ----------------53.8----------------- 32.5
Dagenais------81----------------53.1-------------------- 4.0
Ryder----------17----------------52.9------------------- 0.3
Higgins--------45----------------51.1-------------------0.9
Plekanec-----708 --------------50.3-------------------17.4
Begin-------573----------------50.1-------------------12.5
Kovalev------47--------------------48.9-------------------------1.1
Bonk-------963----------------47.4-------------------26.6
Murray------- 99----------------46.5---------------------4.5
Ribeiro------843----------------44.7-------------------17.5
Bulis-------129----------------44.2 ---------------------2.9



wow that took a long *** time for being so pointless!

I am not sure what you meant to convey with your "pointless" sentence.

I appreciate your post indeed.

At 48.9 % he is more effective than two of our official centers, that is Bonk and Ribeiro.

Considering that is winning percentage would increase with more practice, we could hope for a percentage higher than 50%.

So we shouldn't discard the possibility of having him play center.

Trottier 06-04-2006 12:53 AM

Not to step in on your board, but since I saw the thread title, felt obliged:

Alexei Kovalev, in fact, was NYR's 2nd line center through the entire '94 Cup winning playoffs.

He centered Stephane Matteau and Steve Larmer. And he was solid.

For years, I've always thought he looked most comfotable in that spot, given his tremendous stickhandling and passing.

benji 06-04-2006 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trottier
Not to step in on your board, but since I saw the thread title, felt obliged:

.

How dare you!

But really, Kovalev as a Centre is definitely intriguing. He's not a bad winger on defense, and with his past play as a Centre, I think he would be able to pull it off for sure. I really have no stance on this, other than that it would be interesting to see.

Toro 06-04-2006 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trottier
Not to step in on your board, but since I saw the thread title, felt obliged:

Alexei Kovalev, in fact, was NYR's 2nd line center through the entire '94 Cup winning playoffs.

He centered Stephane Matteau and Steve Larmer. And he was solid.

For years, I've always thought he looked most comfotable in that spot, given his tremendous stickhandling and passing.


thanks...


Maybe this is gaineys unexpected move???


move kovalev to center... lol

but seriously maybe he should have tried this against carolina after koivu went down?

Pere Noel 06-04-2006 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trottier
Not to step in on your board, but since I saw the thread title, felt obliged:

Alexei Kovalev, in fact, was NYR's 2nd line center through the entire '94 Cup winning playoffs.

He centered Stephane Matteau and Steve Larmer. And he was solid.

For years, I've always thought he looked most comfotable in that spot, given his tremendous stickhandling and passing.

Heck ! Why don't we try it.

Thanks for letting us know that.

Habber 06-04-2006 08:02 AM

I can't see Kovy playing centre anymore. Being a centre comes with more defensive responsiblities than winger, and he hasn't seemed all that interested in playing defence since he's been here.

I think his skating has deteriated quite a bit since he last played centre, and he no longer has the speed to get back or desire to play down low in his own end for any length of time.

nyhabsfan 06-04-2006 09:14 AM

Not A Good Idea
 
Kovalev would fail as a center because of his lousy defensive play. Centers often come back deep inot their own zone to help the D regain puck pocession.

Kovalev barely gets to the faceoff dots in his own zone.

Nice though, but he is not a CONSISTENT solid two player.

Mike8 06-04-2006 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyhabsfan
Kovalev would fail as a center because of his lousy defensive play. Centers often come back deep inot their own zone to help the D regain puck pocession.

And yet Kovalev frequently took the center's defensive responsibilities for his line, proving your point completely false.

Watsatheo 06-04-2006 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habber
I can't see Kovy playing centre anymore. Being a centre comes with more defensive responsiblities than winger, and he hasn't seemed all that interested in playing defence since he's been here.

I think his skating has deteriated quite a bit since he last played centre, and he no longer has the speed to get back or desire to play down low in his own end for any length of time.

However, if he were to play with Ribs next season, I rather have him at center and ribs at the wing. Didn't Ribiero start off his NHL career as a LW?

Habs 4 Life 06-04-2006 10:35 AM

Wow Kovalev will backcheck :eek: I don't think so

Mike8 06-04-2006 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Watzatheo
However, if he were to play with Ribs next season, I rather have him at center and ribs at the wing. Didn't Ribiero start off his NHL career as a LW?

Yeah, but he was playing out of position. Ribeiro was a center prior to that brief stint at LW.

Mike8 06-04-2006 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life
Wow Kovalev will backcheck :eek: I don't think so

Backchecking is just as important for a center as it is a winger. The main defensive responsibilities a center has that makes them more important to the defensive scheme & breakout than the winger is the fact that they need to play down low and around the lip of the crease & slot.

Kovalev already does this frequently. Ribeiro will often tail off and play the winger's defensive responsibilities while Kovalev goes down low. This is partially (in my opinion) because of Kovalev's size. He was generally solid down low defensively, and he's good on the breakout.

Remember Kovalev's long-bomb pass to Bulis early on in the Carolina series, springing Bulis on the breakaway for a very nice goal? That was Kovalev playing deep in his own zone, in the center position.

My reservations about Kovalev playing center are not due to the defensive game or breakout scheme--he's proven this past season to be fine in that regard. My hesitation would be mainly that I think Kovalev's offensive game is more suited to that of a winger than a center.

Pere Noel 06-04-2006 11:26 AM

He certainly did fine in the playoffs finishing in the + section for his last two runs with the Canadians.

habitue* 06-04-2006 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pere Noel
He certainly did fine in the playoffs finishing in the + section for his last two runs with the Canadians.


+ & - is the most overated stat in hockey. First line players like Kovalev usually plays against the third or fourth line of the opponents, their weaker offensive units. So, it is quite normal to score more than them and get a +...

And just a reminder... This is not the CanadiAns but the CanadiEns... And it means a lot !

Biggsy 06-04-2006 01:29 PM

I like him better on the wing i dont think he has the wheels to get back on D any more like a Koivu or Higgins even

habitue* 06-04-2006 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggsy
I like him better on the wing i dont think he has the wheels to get back on D any more like a Koivu or Higgins even


Higgins is originally a center, and would be a pretty good second line center (if the Habs cannot find a real #1 and move Koivu on the second line).


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:13 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.