HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   OMG, Is Markov UFA when his contract end next summer? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=257319)

habsprospects 06-04-2006 02:17 PM

OMG, Is Markov UFA when his contract end next summer?

Unrestricted Free Agency - For the 2005-06 season, a player age 31 with four accrued seasons will be an unrestricted free agent; in 2006-07, a player age 29 with four accrued seasons or with eight accrued seasons; in 2007-08, a player age 28 with four accrued seasons or with seven accrued seasons

Markov will be 28 in December 2006, so when his contract end Jully 1st 2007, he will be 28 and will have played 7 seasons,
OMG :eek:

Habitant#1 06-04-2006 03:14 PM

I believe so, yes. It's scary. And Guy said he didn't really integrate himself into the team very well. I'd feel safer if he made some friends here. But if it ever looks like he wants to leave to make more money we should trade him since he's one of our best trade assets.

Edet: speling

VanNistelrooy 06-04-2006 03:17 PM

If I were Gainey, i would sign his bro, Danny. They had a fantastic chemistry at the Olympics, and I don't think he would be soooo costly.

Clumsyhab 06-04-2006 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VanNistelrooy
If I were Gainey, i would sign his bro, Danny. They had a fantastic chemistry at the Olympics, and I don't think he would be soooo costly.

I don't think they are brothers.

Habsfan18 06-04-2006 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clumsyhab
I don't think they are brothers.

I'm pretty sure they are.

Vicious 06-04-2006 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habsfan15

No relationship. Well other than being from the same country..

habsprospects 06-04-2006 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habsfan15

they are not

Traitor8 06-04-2006 03:39 PM

I think they are too
he's also reliable and with the many top defenseman this UFA summer ..then we can get him for a resaonable price I belive..he's sort of gonna do under the rest and not be known ..

Anksun 06-04-2006 03:44 PM

I always though Andrei and Danny were not brothers.

But the wikipedia encyclopedia thinks otherwise.

Andrei Markov (born December 20, 1978 in Voskresensk, U.S.S.R.) is a Russian ice hockey defenceman who currently plays for the Montreal Canadiens of the National Hockey League.

He was drafted by the Montreal Canadiens in the 6th Round as the 162nd overall in the 1998 NHL Entry Draft as a center. While playing in Russia, he has made the switch to defense in order to see more icetime. After being considered one of the best defensemen in Russia, in 2000, he came over to North American and split time with the Habs and their then-minor league affiliate, the Quebec Citadelles of the AHL. After rounding out his defensive game, he has become a regular in the Habs starting line-up and is widely considered to be their best overall defenseman. During the 2004-05 NHL lockout, he played in his native Russia with HC Dynamo Moscow. He was awarded the Molson Cup by the Montreal Canadiens for Player of the Month for October 2005. He is the brother of NHL defenseman Danil Markov.

Edit: I still think they arent. lol ;)

VanNistelrooy 06-04-2006 03:47 PM

Damn, I was sure they were... But they had a pretty good chemistry anyway...

habsprospects 06-04-2006 03:49 PM

generally when players are brothers somewhere on some NHL site, team site, it's said

Rather Gingerly 1* 06-04-2006 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thief50
Unrestricted Free Agency - For the 2005-06 season, a player age 31 with four accrued seasons will be an unrestricted free agent; in 2006-07, a player age 29 with four accrued seasons or with eight accrued seasons; in 2007-08, a player age 28 with four accrued seasons or with seven accrued seasons

Markov will be 28 in December 2006, so when his contract end Jully 1st 2007, he will be 28 and will have played 7 seasons,
OMG :eek:

One of the reasons I didn't want to throw big money at a UFA defenseman this summer. What are we going to have to pay Markov? 6-7 million to keep him?

habsprospects 06-04-2006 04:08 PM

maybe 3-4 millions

Rather Gingerly 1* 06-04-2006 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thief50
maybe 3-4 millions

Don't know....he is a legitimate #1 NHL defenseman...combined with unrestricted free agency :dunno:

Habsfan18 06-04-2006 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicious
No relationship. Well other than being from the same country..

Hmm, I always thought they were. Thanks for clearing that up.

beowulf 06-04-2006 04:17 PM

It is a somewhat scary idea to lose him. Imagine you are Bob Gainey and next seasons trade deadline is around the corner and Markov is not signed but the team is doing very well. What do you do? Trade him? Keep him and hope to get him signed? I am happy I don't have that job. :banghead:

Habsfan18 06-04-2006 04:17 PM

If I were Gainey I would try to get this guy signed long term right away.

Blind Gardien 06-04-2006 04:25 PM

Probably we should hope that Markov will command a salary in excess of $5M on his new contract. Because if he was on the UFA market today, he'd be worth that based on the season he just had and the $ that other d-men are getting. So anything less than that would mean he had some kind of disaster in '06-07, which would probably equate to a similar disaster for the Habs as a team.

Souray and Rivet are UFA too, and they also look like they will need raises next year. So as I keep saying, we can't count on spending to the cap this year. Even with Bonk and Zednik's contracts expiring next summer too, we will still have A LOT of work to do on securing our D. We probably need to stay at least $4M under the cap to take all this into account. Which doesn't leave us much room to maneuver this summer at all.

Teufelsdreck 06-04-2006 10:02 PM

The two Markovs played on the Russian Olympic team. The announcers distinctly said they are not related. Wikipedia is not a reliable source because it doesn't employ fact checkers. It invites contributions from everyone and his uncle, including all of us. So some of the information we find is true and some of it is false.

Habsfan18 06-04-2006 10:05 PM

God I hope we don't lose Markov.

Strazzobosco 06-04-2006 10:40 PM

I remember an announcer saying they were cousins...
so not brothers, maybe cousins (I think it was ESPN)

Dan K 06-05-2006 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dumitru123
I remember an announcer saying they were cousins...
so not brothers, maybe cousins (I think it was ESPN)

It has been said many, many, many, many times on TSN and otherwise that there is NO familial relations between the two Markovs.

GaineysRightHandMan 06-05-2006 08:38 AM

Markovs are born 2 years apart.
Andrei in Voskresensk
Danny (Danil) in Moskow.

I doubt they are brothers.

I always thought no relation until this year - a reliable source (can't remember who) said they were brothers. I guess you can't believe everything you hear.

AH 06-05-2006 09:22 AM

Andrei Markov is going to get $5 million on the FA market next year. Fro those wanting to add a big name free agent this off-season just because we have cap space, remember that we will need the cap space just to retain Markov + Souray + Rivet (or replace the latter two). There is no way we can keep those three AND add to them another $4+ million contract.

Astaroth 06-05-2006 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habitant#1
I believe so, yes. It's scary. And Guy said he didn't really integrate himself into the team very well. I'd feel safer if he made some friends here. But if it ever looks like he wants to leave to make more money we should trade him since he's one of our best trade assets.

Edet: speling

This worries me especially. He was our MVP by a large margin and had a competent if not good playoff yet the media criticised him for being a "headcase" so to speak, saying him and his family area product of the old USSR where they don't trust anybody and also doesn't speak much of anything other than Russian. All of this backed up with comments from Guy and Gainey. Not exactly, the most compelling environnement to stay in.

If he's a UFA, in his prime. He's gonna look out for himself and his family, not the CH. He might be looking to go to a team with a russian connection, a contender or just the cash who knows. I just don't feel the team is doing hima favour by airing out these ... "problems" publicaly. He strikes me as a private individual and if you're going to cater to someone, it'd better be your MVP.