HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   BIG NAME FA defenseman (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=258516)

frolov_kovalev* 06-08-2006 08:00 PM

BIG NAME FA defenseman

Come on, when was the last time we signed a big-name FA?
I mean, I seriously don't think they'll come here, I don't think Gainey will splurge for a d-man, seriously, Gainey is conservative with money so does any one else doubt all this speculation about d-men??

LeHab 06-08-2006 08:04 PM

If we sign a big name UFA this means we have plenty of cash to throw away and Gillett will have a hard time justifing a tax break. I don't expect to have a big UFA as long as we don't get the tax break for Bell Center. :)

Bryzga lol* 06-08-2006 08:13 PM

I'd be more concerned about landing a big centremen before a defencemen.

ti-vite 06-08-2006 08:23 PM

We need more scoring me thinks.

But I will play along:

CHARA

Big enough? ;)

Bronn 06-08-2006 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riel

Same here but there are not a lot of quality centers available compared to the D.

Le Tricolore 06-08-2006 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frolov_kovalev

Kovalev.

Rayne* 06-08-2006 10:54 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't. I don't care for Komisarek on the top pairing with Markov. Sure I know the kid will only get better as time goes on, but in the meantime, I'd rather have a guy like Kubina with Markov, and have Komi in a penalty killing/shutdown role.

Ace2000 06-08-2006 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoreVX
I wouldn't. I don't care for Komisarek on the top pairing with Markov. Sure I know the kid will only get better as time goes on, but in the meantime, I'd rather have a guy like Kubina with Markov, and have Komi in a penalty killing/shutdown role.

just a little info on the habs past season,

its the first time since the 70s that a habs team has had at least 5 dmen with 20 points in 1 season. I think there were only 5 or 6 other teams this season that had 5 or more dmen with 20 points. pretty nice accomplishement if you ask me. the biggest problem i have with our D is the stupid penalties they take like shooting the puck over the glass :biglaugh:

znk 06-08-2006 11:32 PM

Quote:

Exactly.

GoneAway 06-08-2006 11:40 PM

Randy McKay

Pere Noel 06-08-2006 11:59 PM

Quote:

I mean, I seriously don't think they'll come here, I don't think Gainey will splurge for a d-man, seriously, Gainey is conservative with money so does any one else doubt all this speculation about d-men??

Looking at your nick, I thought you would have remembered Kovalev? ;)

So last UFA season is your answer.

Pat 06-09-2006 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ti-vite
We need more scoring me thinks.

But I will play along:

CHARA

Big enough? ;)

the name fits the player ;)

ti-vite 06-09-2006 08:24 AM

Of the 16 teams that made the playoffs, we had the 3rd worst offense (NJ and TB).

We need goals. :teach:

BLONG7 06-09-2006 09:07 AM

BG has stated we need scoring...so I don't think he will shell out big bucks for a D Man, unless he gets a call from Redden's agent looking to give BG a discount because Wade wants to a Hab...

Habber 06-09-2006 10:09 AM

Quote:

Not really sure what you're basing this on. He was far from conservative in Dallas, and hasn't shied away from spending since he's been with the Habs. (Theo, Koivu, Dandy, etc)

It's a different landscape in Montreal than in the past. Quality management/coaching and a good young team on the rise is very attractive for UFA's.

hab 06-09-2006 10:22 AM

Judging By His We Need To Adress Our Offence Statement, He Might Just

Go With Last Years Version, And Improve Up Front.

Hab at it 06-09-2006 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hab
Judging By His We Need To Adress Our Offence Statement, He Might Just

Go With Last Years Version, And Improve Up Front.

Ouch, what's with capitalizing every word? Is each it's own sentence?

Squeaky 06-09-2006 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace2000
just a little info on the habs past season,

its the first time since the 70s that a habs team has had at least 5 dmen with 20 points in 1 season. I think there were only 5 or 6 other teams this season that had 5 or more dmen with 20 points. pretty nice accomplishement if you ask me. the biggest problem i have with our D is the stupid penalties they take like shooting the puck over the glass :biglaugh:

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

I love that I got to say that. :propeller

Squeaky 06-09-2006 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ti-vite
Of the 16 teams that made the playoffs, we had the 3rd worst offense (NJ and TB).

We need goals. :teach:

New Jersey and Calgary.

KaptainKourage* 06-09-2006 11:25 AM

Quote:

Come on, when was the last time we signed a big-name FA?I mean, I seriously don't think they'll come here, I don't think Gainey will splurge for a d-man, seriously, Gainey is conservative with money so does any one else doubt all this speculation about d-men??

... Kovalev ? Last off-season ? :dunno:

justicex 06-09-2006 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habber
Not really sure what you're basing this on. He was far from conservative in Dallas, and hasn't shied away from spending since he's been with the Habs. (Theo, Koivu, Dandy, etc)

It's a different landscape in Montreal than in the past. Quality management/coaching and a good young team on the rise is very attractive for UFA's.

Heck yeah! Gainey is more like a person who like spending money easilly. He overpayed many players in the recent years, so hopefully he can do it when it really count too.

frolov_kovalev* 06-09-2006 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pere Noel
Looking at your nick, I thought you would have remembered Kovalev? ;)

So last UFA season is your answer.

Kovalev was acquired via trade and we just re-signed him, it's not as if he was a UFA that had been with another team.

Talent Analyst 06-09-2006 03:55 PM

[QUOTE=frolov_kovalev]Come on, when was the last time we signed a big-name FA?
QUOTE]

Dandenault :biglaugh: