HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Salary Cap/Buyout Question? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=258631)

BLONG7 06-09-2006 11:14 AM

Salary Cap/Buyout Question?

Hey guys, hoping someone can answer this question for me...If BG was to buy out Bonk, his salary is 2.394M, does he buy out the full salary or just 60% of it? And does it count towards the cap for next season? How about the Isles, if they buy out Cashin' Yashin his remaining $$$ is 34M, would the buyout be around 21M and how much of that goes against the cap? Any ideas?

Dan K 06-09-2006 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLONG7
Hey guys, hoping someone can answer this question for me...If BG was to buy out Bonk, his salary is 2.394M, does he buy out the full salary or just 60% of it? And does it count towards the cap for next season? How about the Isles, if they buy out Cashin' Yashin his remaining $$$ is 34M, would the buyout be around 21M and how much of that goes against the cap? Any ideas?

I believe buyouts are 2/3 of the remaining contract. In terms of cap hit, you can split it over double the remaining term. So in Yashin's case, the buyout is about $20M for the 5 years left on his contract, or a cap hit of $2M for each of the next 10 years.

Blind Gardien 06-09-2006 11:20 AM

Quote:

They'd have to pay him 2/3rds of the salary, and it would be spread over 2 years on the cap. So basically buying out Bonk would be $800k on the cap this year, $800k next year. It wouldn't be unimaginably gruesome. But we'd also have to pay $1M or so to whoever replaces him this year (say, a Chouinard or Aubin type UFA signing). So you still end up paying more in the long run. Not sure if it's really worth it. Just letting him walk next year is probably good enough.

Yashin has what, 5 years left? Basically to buy him out, they'd take a $2.2M cap hit for the next 10 years. And then still have to plug a pt-per-game player into the payroll to replace him. Not sure that makes any sense either. Neil Smith and Ted Nolan makes for a more interesting mix than Sutter in terms of Yashin's potential survivability, one would think. :dunno:

BLONG7 06-09-2006 12:22 PM

Thanks guys, I wasn't sure how it was to work...do you think that there will be any teams buying out any of their players? I can't see BG doing it, but there could be other GM's in the league that are desperate to get rid of one of their headaches...Maybe the Isles will just give away Yashin for a draft pick to get rid of the salary...but then again there are no Reggie Houle's out there to take on that salary...or is there???

ti-vite 06-09-2006 12:37 PM

Quote:

Thanks guys, I wasn't sure how it was to work...do you think that there will be any teams buying out any of their players? I can't see BG doing it, but there could be other GM's in the league that are desperate to get rid of one of their headaches...Maybe the Isles will just give away Yashin for a draft pick to get rid of the salary...but then again there are no Reggie Houle's out there to take on that salary...or is there???

MacLean / JFJ

David_99 06-09-2006 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ti-vite
MacLean / JFJ

The Leafs new Yashin - Lindros - Daigle line.

I can just see it.