HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Finland retire Kurri's number (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=25878)

Jussi 11-06-2003 03:47 AM

Finland retire Kurri's number

I'm not sure if you still care, but Oiler great Jari Kurri's jersey number 17 will be retired by the Finnish hockey federation before Saturday's Karjala Cup game against the Czech Republic. He's the first Finnish player to have that honour.

http://www.hockeyimage.com/kuvat/Kurri.jpg

oilswell 11-06-2003 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jussi
I'm not sure if you still care, but Oiler great Jari Kurri's jersey number 17 will be retired

Cool. Thanks for the info: I still care. He was quite often my favourite Oiler back in the day.

oilflash 11-06-2003 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilswell
Cool. Thanks for the info: I still care. He was quite often my favourite Oiler back in the day.

This additional honour for Jari Kurri will be very incouraging to Tony Salmelainen. It is good for a young player like Tony, being away from home and everything, to see that maybe someday his efforts could be appreciated too! Congrats to Jari and thanks to Jussi. I still care as well.

thome_26 11-06-2003 06:14 AM

Ya, good for him. If there is anybody who deserves it more then I don't know him.

rabi_sultan 11-06-2003 06:38 AM

oilflash is right this is very posotive for young finnish players in the NHL especially those part of the Edmonton organisation, Jani Rita and Niinimaki to add to Salmaleinen.

Vyse64 11-06-2003 08:15 AM

:handclap:

OYLer 11-06-2003 08:42 AM

Let him shine, let him shine, lordy let him shine.

Jari sure did add alot of Finnish to Gretzky's polish.:handclap:

In his own right Kurri was just one of the best 2 way players I've ever seen play the game. He certainly never forgot the coaches most favoured equations: Forecheck + Backcheck = Paycheque

The quintessential money player, cause when the chips were down, the game was tied, with #17 on the ice, victory was but a snapshot away.:bow:

Master Lok 11-06-2003 11:14 AM

Yay! Jari totally deserves it.

Its too bad he never won the Selke... (damn Carbonneau! sigh!)

Bohologo 11-06-2003 11:35 AM

Jari Rules

Of course we still care!

Lots of people said that Gretzky made Jari Kurri a better player, but Gretzky himself said if it were not for #17, the Great One would have been only The Pretty Good One.

Jari's a class act, and will forever have my respect.

Hemmer 11-06-2003 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OYLer
Let him shine, let him shine, lordy let him shine.

Jari sure did add alot of Finnish to Gretzky's polish.:handclap:

Close. Finnish to Gretz's Byelorussian. Full marks for funk though :p

Quote:

The quintessential money player, cause when the chips were down, the game was tied, with #17 on the ice, victory was but a snapshot away.:bow:

Yep. Lethal.

Congrats Jari...you deserve it!

OYLer 11-06-2003 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hemmer
Close. Finnish to Gretz's Byelorussian. Full marks for funk though :p

Hemmer, I was going for the shine metaphor using the non proper noun denotatively, but connotatively was trying for the subliminal ethnic reference to Polish. I knew the Gretzkys weren't Polish, actually thought #99 was of Ukranian decent. At least you picked up on my attempt at multi-layed written communication. The better half suggests frequently, and none to gently I might add, that I'm just a tad obtuse at times in my own acute way. Ya' know, For Better Or For Worsted! :joker:

Ryno 11-06-2003 01:00 PM

Quote:

Hemmer, I was going for the shine metaphor using the non proper noun denotatively, but connotatively was trying for the subliminal ethnic reference to Polish. I knew the Gretzkys weren't Polish, actually thought #99 was of Ukranian decent. At least you picked up on my attempt at multi-layed written communication. The better half suggests frequently, and none to gently I might add, that I'm just a tad obtuse at times in my own acute way. Ya' know, For Better Or For Worsted! :joker:

Geez, for as articulate as you are, you'd think you would have used the correct for of "to" (too) :blush:

(Just razzin' ya, OYLer :p)

Hemmer 11-06-2003 01:24 PM

Quote:

At least you picked up on my attempt at multi-layed written communication.

I'd better...I am majoring in English :rolly:

Oi'll say! 11-06-2003 04:19 PM

Thx for the scoop Jussi, that's a really nice tribute to one of the most deserving guys to ever lace 'em up.

Congrats Jari :yo: