HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Interesting article (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=259232)

Habs514 06-12-2006 10:59 AM

Interesting article

Hi Guys,

Here is a interesting article from the Tampa bay Tribune on the status of Vinny Lecavalier.

http://sports.tbo.com/sports/MGBZBNJSAOE.html#content

Stiffler 06-12-2006 11:09 AM

Interesting quotes...

"He has been built up so much by his team, fans and media that there might actually be a gap between what he really is and what other teams think he could be. Which makes him the best possible trade bait."

"When Boston traded Joe Thornton to San Jose, Thornton lifted that entire team and became an MVP candidate. If Vinny was going to be one of those, he would have been one by now, if you ask me. But if another team thinks different, imagine what they'd give up for Vinny."

"They need drop-dead good. They need a name. In the name of that, and the future, the Lightning have buried the idea that Vinny is untouchable."

They need Mark Streit. :yo:

Brett38 06-12-2006 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stiffler
Interesting quotes...

"He has been built up so much by his team, fans and media that there might actually be a gap between what he really is and what other teams think he could be. Which makes him the best possible trade bait."

"When Boston traded Joe Thornton to San Jose, Thornton lifted that entire team and became an MVP candidate. If Vinny was going to be one of those, he would have been one by now, if you ask me. But if another team thinks different, imagine what they'd give up for Vinny."

"They need drop-dead good. They need a name. In the name of that, and the future, the Lightning have buried the idea that Vinny is untouchable."

They need Mark Streit. :yo:

haaaaaaaa...good one!!

Gainey will be working the phone to rid Streit of his monsterous contract!!

Poochie_D 06-12-2006 11:17 AM

Ryder, Souray, and Aebischer lands you Vinny IMO.

sXe 06-12-2006 11:25 AM

Is it just me or is he ripping into Prince Vincent?

Hab at it 06-12-2006 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poochie_D

Way too much IMO. Vinny is a $6.85mil cap hit. There is no way we should gut our team to land him he's not worth it. His best season is 78pts, a measley 7 pts better that Koivu's, all while playing with the likes of Richards, St. Louis(in his MVP year), Modin etc on a Stanley Cup winning team. If your offer is what it takes I say no thanks we can get more from different teams.

waffledave 06-12-2006 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hab at it
Way too much IMO. Vinny is a $6.85mil cap hit. There is no way we should gut our team to land him he's not worth it. His best season is 78pts, a measley 7 pts better that Koivu's, all while playing with the likes of Richards, St. Louis(in his MVP year), Modin etc on a Stanley Cup winning team. If your offer is what it takes I say no thanks we can get more from different teams.

Glad to see another who thinks Vinny is grossly overrated.

Hab at it 06-12-2006 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sXe
Is it just me or is he ripping into Prince Vincent?

I think he's putting things more into the proper light. The guy has seen Vinny play more than anyone here and is calling it like he see's it. In the article he says he likes Vinny and that he's a very good player doesn't sound like he's ripping him. From a TB point of view though I'd be pissed as it may reduce Vinny's trade worth if others take what's written in this article to heart.

Whitesnake 06-12-2006 11:39 AM

What I'm reading is since the name of the game is goaltending the only way Vinny is traded is if a great proven goalie come the other way. We don't have that here....Aebisher could get us Fedotenko or Modin and we'll have to add something.

toshiro 06-12-2006 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitesnake
What I'm reading is since the name of the game is goaltending the only way Vinny is traded is if a great proven goalie come the other way. We don't have that here....Aebisher could get us Fedotenko or Modin and we'll have to add something.

If they trade for a super goalie they cant afford much else and it will be a reasonable facsimile of Ribs powering them to the playoffs

Jakomyte 06-12-2006 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poochie_D

Considering the cap hit Lecavalier imposes on his team, I'd say that is too much as well. Maybe Zednik, Souray & Aebischer is a bit more what I would offer. I would throw in a mid-round draft pick too if it would close the deal.

tinyzombies 06-12-2006 11:48 AM

With the trend to scoring by larger players, and with Vinny in his prime, I would definitely make any deal they want. Nobody on our team is untouchable. And anyonen we trade opens up cap space for someone else (UFA). Vinny is definitely worth it. Sundin only puts up 70+ points for Toronto, but he makes everyone around him better and you can play him pretty much with anybody. Vinny has become the same player imo. He's cause nightmares for the opposition in matchups.

waffledave 06-12-2006 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raketheleaves
With the trend to scoring by larger players, and with Vinny in his prime, I would definitely make any deal they want. Nobody on our team is untouchable. And anyonen we trade opens up cap space for someone else (UFA). Vinny is definitely worth it. Sundin only puts up 70+ points for Toronto, but he makes everyone around him better and you can play him pretty much with anybody. Vinny has become the same player imo. He's cause nightmares for the opposition in matchups.

Really though, Lecavalier is not that good.

JV 06-12-2006 12:16 PM

Vinny is plenty good.

Kostytsin/Lecavalier/Kovalev

What's it worth to have a line that looks like that?

Quite a bit, imo. Aebeischer, Perezhogin and Souray.

Marchy79 06-12-2006 12:21 PM

I have to respectfully disagree with those saying Vinny's just not that good...
I've paid close attention to Vinny's career... (as most here probably have) and even seen him in a game or two... The kid IS that good, and he's buried in Tampa behind other talented players. If he was given the 'go to' status... he'd explode. He was absolutely stellar in the World Cup in 2004. and was even MVP candidate. He was the match for Iginla, leaving Richards, St.Louis and others to take the wheel.
Furthermore... I believe in all honesty, Vinny LeCavalier in a Montreal Canadiens jersey would be something special to watch... :yo:

Believe it or not... if we could pull the deal, keeping Markov,Komisarek, and Koivu... we could very well become contenders...
LeCavalier
Koivu
Bonk
Begin

That's a stellar top 4 centres... and Chipchura, Lapierre would also be on the way... Pleks could even retain a role...

toshiro 06-12-2006 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghost # 1
I have to respectfully disagree with those saying Vinny's just not that good...
I've paid close attention to Vinny's career... (as most here probably have) and even seen him in a game or two... The kid IS that good, and he's buried in Tampa behind other talented players. If he was given the 'go to' status... he'd explode. He was absolutely stellar in the World Cup in 2004. and was even MVP candidate. He was the match for Iginla, leaving Richards, St.Louis and others to take the wheel.
Furthermore... I believe in all honesty, Vinny LeCavalier in a Montreal Canadiens jersey would be something special to watch... :yo:

Believe it or not... if we could pull the deal, keeping Markov,Komisarek, and Koivu... we could very well become contenders...
LeCavalier
Koivu
Bonk
Begin

That's a stellar top 4 centres... and Chipchura, Lapierre would also be on the way... Pleks could even retain a role...

Where does Ribs fit in? :biglaugh: After the trade would Rafael be left to play wing?

Beatnik 06-12-2006 12:45 PM

Lecavalier is an excellent player and he would make us a much better team.

That said I'd be very surprised to see TB trade him. They have other assets that they could trade to get a goalie without touching the core of the team.

toshiro 06-12-2006 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beatnik
Lecavalier is an excellent player and he would make us a much better team.

That said I'd be very surprised to see TB trade him. They have other assets that they could trade to get a goalie without touching the core of the team.

How would they pay the goalie?

Beatnik 06-12-2006 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toshiro
How would they pay the goalie?

Burke and Kubina will be gone and they were earning 4.1M. They would include Modin, making another 2.2M available. They could also trade Boyle or Sydor for a cheaper guy.

cedouimet 06-12-2006 01:07 PM

com on, you guys think vinny is god or what?

They need a GOALIE and they need a defenceman.

so just call feaster and say:

" Hey JAY, i've got something for you. You need a #1 goalie, and i got one to trade.And you know what, you need a defancemen and i have one to trade to!!!."

SO you propose nothing more than Aebischer + Souray for lecavalier. Sure we can add on a 3rd or 2nd round pick if you guys only need that more, but vinny isnt a superstar, wich is completly stupid to offer a young top nutch prospect like perezhogin / higgins / kostytsyn or even plekanec.

Aebischer + Souray (+3rd or 2nd if needed)
VS
Lecavalier

What do you say FEASTER!

toshiro 06-12-2006 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beatnik
Burke and Kubina will be gone and they were earning 4.1M. They would include Modin, making another 2.2M available. They could also trade Boyle or Sydor for a cheaper guy.

If they lost Kubina, Sydor and Modin they wouldnt be contenders

Habsfan18 06-12-2006 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cedouimet
com on, you guys think vinny is god or what?

They need a GOALIE and they need a defenceman.

so just call feaster and say:

" Hey JAY, i've got something for you. You need a #1 goalie, and i got one to trade.And you know what, you need a defancemen and i have one to trade to!!!."

SO you propose nothing more than Aebischer + Souray for lecavalier. Sure we can add on a 3rd or 2nd round pick if you guys only need that more, but vinny isnt a superstar, wich is completly stupid to offer a young top nutch prospect like perezhogin / higgins / kostytsyn or even plekanec.

Aebischer + Souray (+3rd or 2nd if needed)
VS
Lecavalier

What do you say FEASTER!

Not to be rude but there are 2 teams that have to agree on the deal. Would you do this trade if you were Tampa's gm? How does this make them better?

Ginoro 06-12-2006 02:42 PM

Yeah right, I'm sure they couldn't get more than Aebischer and Souray... :shakehead
Not only both teams have to agree but all the other GMs have to be some idiots that can't offer more than an average #1 goalie and a #3 or 4th d-man for a quality player like Vinny.

Teufelsdreck 06-12-2006 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raketheleaves

Unfortunately, the Habs can't offer the one thing Feaster wants most of all: an elite goaltender. I don't think he'd settle for Aebischer + forwards and/or Dmen. After Khabibulin left, the Lightning plunged 7 places in the East standings, from 1st to 8th, and were polished off by the Senators. They couldn't finish any higher last season with Grahame and Burke in the nets. Maybe Feaster can work out a deal with Keenan that involves Lecavalier and Luongo, with any adjustments the two GMs can agree on. The killer for the Habs in any deal is Aebischer's mediocrity. He wasn't good enough in the eyes of Lacroix in Colorado, and he wouldn't meet Feaster's criteria either.

Teufelsdreck 06-12-2006 04:05 PM

Maybe Feaster would take Aebischer in trade for a lesser player than Lecavalier. That would ease Gainey's salary burden if he signs Huet, because if he keeps both goaltenders he'd still have to sign a FA forward.