HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Which assistant-coach do you want carbo to hire ? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=259298)

habitue* 06-12-2006 04:38 PM

Which assistant-coach do you want carbo to hire ?

Which assistant coach should they hire and why - or why not ?

Bronn 06-12-2006 04:43 PM

Quintal ??!? :biglaugh:

Anyway i voted for Robinson

Pat 06-12-2006 04:48 PM

I think Robinson would be perfect

Empireshark 06-12-2006 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Symbolic
Quintal ??!? :biglaugh:

Anyway i voted for Robinson

Why is Quintal such a laughable option other than the fact that he doesn't have a boatload of coaching experience? If you're basing his coaching ability on his playing career you might want to check out Mark Crawfords player stats. Also, why are all the choices french canadians or ex-canadiens? Can't we just focus on having a good coach in montreal rather than a french speaking one? I guess I'm the only one getting sick of threads started about "we should get this french speaking player" or "we should get this french speaking coach". My vote would have been for Dave Lewis but I guess he doesn't meet the criteria for this poll so I went with Robinson who also would be an excellant assistant coach.

beowulf 06-12-2006 05:01 PM

Muller, Robinson or Savard would be fine with me.

SuperUnknown 06-12-2006 05:03 PM

Please, anyone but Gaston "La Gaffe" Gingras. :confused:

Bronn 06-12-2006 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Empireshark
Why is Quintal such a laughable option other than the fact that he doesn't have a boatload of coaching experience? If you're basing his coaching ability on his playing career you might want to check out Mark Crawfords player stats.

Simply because he made some snide remarks toward the organisation when Gainey decided to not resign him 2 years ago.He acted like big baby and this is not the type of character we need behind our bench imo.

jpchabby 06-12-2006 05:05 PM

I definetely take Robinson... wouldn't it help us in defense? Jarvis, CArbo and Robinson... already, with Gainey, it would've been good, but with Robinson, I couldn't ask for more.....

Larry Robinson'Ms the best, and he has the experience of the cup as a coach so...

habitue* 06-12-2006 05:06 PM

Quote:

Why is Quintal such a laughable option other than the fact that he doesn't have a boatload of coaching experience? If you're basing his coaching ability on his playing career you might want to check out Mark Crawfords player stats. Also, why are all the choices french canadians or ex-canadiens? Can't we just focus on having a good coach in montreal rather than a french speaking one? I guess I'm the only one getting sick of threads started about "we should get this french speaking player" or "we should get this french speaking coach". My vote would have been for Dave Lewis but I guess he doesn't meet the criteria for this poll so I went with Robinson who also would be an excellant assistant coach.

Of course, the guy doesn't have to be a French Quebecer. Carbo and Gainey seems to want an ex-Hab player. So, there is many French Quebecer who might be available. Ludwig, Muller and Robinson vs Tremblay, Savard or whoever. There as much anglos than francos who could do the job. They will pick the one they judge the best for the job. But it's gonna be an ex-Hab (or ex-Dallas Star) for sure !

tinyzombies 06-12-2006 05:06 PM

Robinson and Denis Savard for me and let Jarvis go. Remember, Denis was the AC in 93 when they won the Cup!

TroyM 06-12-2006 05:06 PM

I really want Robinson but realistically I think Ludwig would be the best choice (to coach the defense, which is what I'm assuming here), cause I can't see Robinson taking the job.

habitue* 06-12-2006 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smail
Please, anyone but Gaston "La Gaffe" Gingras. :confused:

Why ?

sXe 06-12-2006 05:07 PM

Quote:

You are right, good post. I'll admit I laughed out loud when I read Quintal's name at first, not too sure why though.

Big Q was really angry when he was let go by the organisation and I've seen him take a few verbal jabs indirectly at Komi ( who replaced him).

sXe 06-12-2006 05:08 PM

What's wrong with Jarvis? More importantly, what's wrong with stability?

Bronn 06-12-2006 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sXe
What's wrong with Jarvis? More importantly, what's wrong with stability?

I think that people in general are just sick of defensive minded coachs and would like to see an offensive one for a change.

I doubt that it's going to happen but that's my take on it.

jpchabby 06-12-2006 05:12 PM

but if we have defensive coaches for an offensive team, it would help us in defense, but the guys have the talent in offense so... why can't we do this? just get good players in offense, and coaches in def. why not?

sXe 06-12-2006 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Symbolic
I think that people in general are just sick of defensive minded coachs and would like to see an offensive one for a change.

I doubt that it's going to happen but that's my take on it.

That's probably it but Carbo is just as defensive minded.

Habsfan 32 06-12-2006 05:16 PM

Muller.

Bronn 06-12-2006 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sXe
That's probably it but Carbo is just as defensive minded.

I know and i never expected an offensive minded team with Gainey as the GM.I knew that he would try to mold the team in his image and that's exactly what he is doing.

Adam91 06-12-2006 08:17 PM

Be realalistic here. Robinson nearly had a stroke coaching the Devils. I dont see him coming back to coaching for a long long time, enfact probly never

Russeltown 06-12-2006 08:43 PM

Robinson!!!! :)

Strazzobosco 06-12-2006 08:46 PM

Richer! He's currently coaching Queen's hockey team...

justsomeguy 06-12-2006 11:22 PM

I'd like to see Gingras get a shot at it.

An assistant coach has to be an approachable, personable kind of guy. Someone that the players can let their hair down around that can serve a a buffer between the coach, who has to make the tough decisions and can't always be concerned about who gets their feathers ruffled, and the offended players who are expected to get with the program and fill the role assigned to them, whether they like it or not.

Gingras fits the bill personality-wise. He's worked with young players, including the Hab prospects the past couple summers a a skating instructor and can still outskate a lot of guys in the NHL.

Probably more approachable for young players than legends from the 70s teams would be. By that I don't mean to imply that other candidates are reserved, but rather that young players might be a little intimidated to approach someone like Robinson.

He knows what it's like to come up through the ranks and what is involved if you want to stay there, having bounced around in a number of organizations. Smart, articulate, funny guy who gets along with pretty much everyone and probably has no aspirations to become a head coach.

Most of the guys on the roster aren't going to be Hall of Famers. Perhaps it would be a good idea to have a coach that had a career that more closely conforms to the NHL average.

While recycling might be ecologically sound, it's not always the best thing to do with coaches. Always nice to get a few new genes in the pool.

That being said, the job is Robinson's if he wants it.

Blind Gardien 06-13-2006 08:17 AM

I voted Muller, just because I think we need some colour to save us from the straight faces of Gainey and Jarvis especially. Plus I still dream of one day seeing somebody try to interview Muller and Chipchura at the same time.

That said, I think Robinson sounds like a great choice. Maybe he can't handle the pressure of being head coach in the NHL, but he sure has lots of experience in the business and has worked with a lot of great defensemen. In addition to his own playing experiences, of course.

Ludwig, Savard, and Gingras have decent experience too, but I'm not sure I'm sold on them. Would Ludwig be much different than a Green or going back another step a Laperriere? Sort of passive styles in some ways as players, anyway, and I the Lappy/Green styles sure seemed to carry over into their coaching.

I'm not against Tremblay as an option. There's some more of the colour I mentioned in choosing Muller, and with more accessibility to the french media too. I think he was out of his depth as a rookie coach all those years ago with us, but you can't argue with his passion, and now he's got a lot more experience under his belt too.

Quintal is the option I just can't understand. I think he's just fundamentally too immature and too unprofessional to hold such a job. He's a poser. He knows what he's supposed to say and do to score points with people, but every now and then the facade slips and you get a glimpse of his true character. We just fired the assistant equipment manager, maybe because he's too in with the media? Wow, imagine the field day they'd have if the assistant coach was their informant instead? There's no way the Habs could contemplate hiring Quintal, I imagine they know everything they need to about him.

Talent Analyst 06-13-2006 03:08 PM

Denis Savard