HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Interesting trades that could have been (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=259403)

waffledave 06-13-2006 08:03 AM

Interesting trades that could have been

As some of you know, I know the daughter of the president of Molson. Seeing as how Molson used to own the team, she is very very close with the team and it's players (you can see her on TV, she's the blonde girl that always is behind the Habs bench).

Anyways, she was telling me some trades that were to be but fell through. If only....

Apparently, Montreal was in the bid for Joe Thornton but Boston was hesitent to deal him to a divisional rival. We offered up Jan Bulis, Mike Ribeiro and Mike Komisarek.

A really interesting one is that she said Montreal was set to aquire Luongo. The trade was Jan Bulis and Jose Theodore (and picks) for Luongo, but Florida backed down when Theodore got injured.

Pat 06-13-2006 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waffledave
As some of you know, I know the daughter of the president of Molson. Seeing as how Molson used to own the team, she is very very close with the team and it's players (you can see her on TV, she's the blonde girl that always is behind the Habs bench).

Anyways, she was telling me some trades that were to be but fell through. If only....

Apparently, Montreal was in the bid for Joe Thornton but Boston was hesitent to deal him to a divisional rival. We offered up Jan Bulis, Mike Ribeiro and Mike Komisarek.

A really interesting one is that she said Montreal was set to aquire Luongo. The trade was Jan Bulis and Jose Theodore (and picks) for Luongo, but Florida backed down when Theodore got injured.

damn, I would've loved that Bulis-Theo for Luongo trade :cry:

Russeltown 06-13-2006 08:15 AM

Imagine Thornton in MTL LOL. This guy is hated by every Habs fan

Pat 06-13-2006 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sYn
Imagine Thornton in MTL LOL. This guy is hated by every Habs fan

imagine losing Komi for no show Joe. damn, that would've sucked big time

Russeltown 06-13-2006 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat

You said it.. No Show Joe.

Turbo 06-13-2006 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat

Imagine Ribeiro in Boston. :biglaugh:

The n00b King * 06-13-2006 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbo

yeah that's a lot worse for boston fans!

they would of stopped being a fan of the team entirely cuz of that!

trading no show joe for Ribeiro...any boston fans nightmare!

Pat 06-13-2006 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbo

:biglaugh:

Darz 06-13-2006 10:26 AM

Quote:

I really doubt Boston would of even considered that trade for half a second.

Habs 4 Life 06-13-2006 10:43 AM

Funny,the Bruins would have never done that trade,never! Sturm is better the Ribeiro and Bulis put togheter in my OPN and also Brad Stuart is a #1-2 guy and Komisarek is not there yet.

No show Joe :shakehead , I would take big time over no show Kovalev

CoupeStanley 06-13-2006 10:44 AM

Yeah..
I've heard Bob Gainey tell his secret to that blond girl too.

Whatever.

waffledave 06-13-2006 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoupeStanley
Yeah..
I've heard Bob Gainey tell his secret to that blond girl too.

Whatever.

Well you know, seeing as her dad is part owner of the team, I dunno...

mcphee 06-13-2006 11:03 AM

Dave, I think the team has meetings and they throw out names. I think Gainey tells the next level up that something is going on. There was a point that trading Theo, as he had a fan base, would have to be not so much okayed,but at least mentionned. The reaction to the Thornton trade around the league was shock, not so much at the players involved, but that no one knew he was on the block.

I think maybe ideas or insiders painting scenarios become real possibilities, even to insiders. I'm not doubting your source in any way, I just think maybe she has some things out of context. I think we'd be surprised at how compartmentalized the run the organization. Anyways,just my opinion on how I think they do things. I'd bet if Gainey was going to deal the #1 pick, Timmins would find out when the deal was concluded.

wpg_habsfan 06-13-2006 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcphee
Dave, I think the team has meetings and they throw out names. I think Gainey tells the next level up that something is going on. There was a point that trading Theo, as he had a fan base, would have to be not so much okayed,but at least mentionned. The reaction to the Thornton trade around the league was shock, not so much at the players involved, but that no one knew he was on the block.

I think maybe ideas or insiders painting scenarios become real possibilities, even to insiders. I'm not doubting your source in any way, I just think maybe she has some things out of context. I think we'd be surprised at how compartmentalized the run the organization. Anyways,just my opinion on how I think they do things. I'd bet if Gainey was going to deal the #1 pick, Timmins would find out when the deal was concluded.

I agree with mcphee that those "trades that could have been" were probably speculation at most, and were taken out of context.

But if they did land Thorton for Ribs, Komi and "stone hands" Bulis, that would have been quite the fleecing by Gainey (disregarding Thorton's post season play). Thorton is a great player, even though everyone in Montreal might hate him. It would have inproved Montreal immensely, (in the regular season at least :sarcasm: )

turnbuckle* 06-13-2006 11:54 AM

How often has a Gainey deal been leaked beforehand? Never? I'm not an overly suspicious person, nor am I naive, and I have a hard time believing that John Barnett's daughter would be "in the loop" so to speak, seeing that Barnett was only appointed president of Molson last fall, and had been working in the US the past six years as president of Molson USA. Are you talking about a former president of Molson's daughter?

goalchenyuk 06-13-2006 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat

Imagine ; losing our 5-6th d-man only for the top scorer of the NHL ....damn , that would have sucked big time

mcphee 06-13-2006 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark0v
Imagine ; losing our 5-6th d-man only for the top scorer of the NHL ....damn , that would have sucked big time

Yeah, I think I would've taken the chance that Thornton would produce in the playoffs.

sXe 06-13-2006 12:03 PM

Bruins GM said he never shopped Thornton and when the discussion with SJ turned to Thornton he said yes right away.
Seeing as this is a stupid move to do as a GM but not as idiotic as admitting it and probably losing your job in the process ; I think he was being honest when he said he didn't talk to other teams.

Edit: I just had a mental picture of Ribs on the Bruins, this thread was well worth it just for that, thanks. ;)

Psycho Papa Joe 06-13-2006 12:15 PM

Quote:

Aside from the divisional rival issue, I just have to say:

Stuart, Sturm and Primeau >>> Bulis, Ribs and Komisarek

Not saying you are lying or your friend is, but I really don't think the Bruins would have settled on that package

waffledave 06-13-2006 12:59 PM

Her dad is Dan O'neill, I know he was CEO at some point but I don't know if he is anymore.

She said these were deals that fell through. It's not like Gainey called her up and told her about it as it was happening, but more like someone told her "well we had this in the works but it didn't work out". That sort of thing happens all the time apparently, but these were some that particularly I found interesting.

BTW obviously the Thornton offer wasn't good enough. Hence why the trade did not go through.

Pat 06-13-2006 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark0v

just saying I like Komi and all.

Weis 06-13-2006 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe
Aside from the divisional rival issue, I just have to say:

Stuart, Sturm and Primeau >>> Bulis, Ribs and Komisarek

Not saying you are lying or your friend is, but I really don't think the Bruins would have settled on that package

I agree but Stuart is overrated. I think Komi can became a better player (less offensive). Anyway Bullis(UFA) and Ribs(no show Ribs!) are useless and Sturm is a good team player.

I dont think they would have traded him to us also. Not only for this package but in the same Conf when you have to play 8 times against!

Habsfan18 06-13-2006 02:02 PM

Why would Boston consider trading Joe Thornton to a divisional rival?

Habs 4 Life 06-13-2006 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weis
I agree but Stuart is overrated. I think Komi can became a better player (less offensive). Anyway Bullis(UFA) and Ribs(no show Ribs!) are useless and Sturm is a good team player.

I dont think they would have traded him to us also. Not only for this package but in the same Conf when you have to play 8 times against!

I love Komi,but if I had the choice tomorrow morning I would go with Stuart.All around can do more stuff.PP,SH, and also a great skater

Brett38 06-13-2006 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habsfan15
Why would Boston consider trading Joe Thornton to a divisional rival?

Maybe they never had any intensions of trading him to Montreal, but wanted to see an offer sheet.