HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   If I were a betting man... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=259444)

Brett38 06-13-2006 11:23 AM

If I were a betting man...
 
I would say that Bob Gainey will get something done at the draft that will shock some people. I think that he is working on something big. Just wait and see.

Anyone else feel this way? Expect the unexpected!!! :dunno: :eek: :bow:

wpg_habsfan 06-13-2006 11:25 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if he got some minor deals done during or before the draft, but I'm still a little skeptical if he's going to get something done that would "shock" people.

hab 06-13-2006 12:44 PM

He Has Hinted At Beefing Up On Offence(and He Useually Doesnt Hint At Anything) So I Could See A Forward Being Brought In, And I Have A Feeling It Will Be Through A Trade, Especially If Huet Is Signed... If It Happens At The Draft Or Not , Who Knows...

Whitesnake 06-13-2006 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brett38
I would say that Bob Gainey will get something done at the draft that will shock some people. I think that he is working on something big. Just wait and see.

Anyone else feel this way? Expect the unexpected!!! :dunno: :eek: :bow:

No, expect the unexpected is that everybody expects him to do something, he then won't, that would be really unexpected.... ;)

FisherKing 06-13-2006 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brett38
I would say that Bob Gainey will get something done at the draft that will shock some people. I think that he is working on something big. Just wait and see.

Anyone else feel this way? Expect the unexpected!!! :dunno: :eek: :bow:

Well, any SIGNIFICANT upward move in draft positioning would certainly shock me. I seriously doubt that will happen though. As I said in an earlier post, the cost is always too high. Hope I'm wrong but...

Brett38 06-13-2006 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hab
He Has Hinted At Beefing Up On Offence(and He Useually Doesnt Hint At Anything) So I Could See A Forward Being Brought In, And I Have A Feeling It Will Be Through A Trade, Especially If Huet Is Signed... If It Happens At The Draft Or Not , Who Knows...


Maybe Kovalchuk for Higgins, Markov, Mont's 1st in '06...heeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :eek:

Dan K 06-13-2006 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hab
He Has Hinted At Beefing Up On Offence(and He Useually Doesnt Hint At Anything) So I Could See A Forward Being Brought In, And I Have A Feeling It Will Be Through A Trade, Especially If Huet Is Signed... If It Happens At The Draft Or Not , Who Knows...

But maybe it's a clever Gainey diversion and that's why he hinted at it. So that means we're getting a defenseman. Or maybe Gainey wants us to think that way, so that we're still surprised when he goes out and gets a forward. Gah. Reverse reverse psychology. I want to knowwwwwwwww... :help:

larue* 06-13-2006 01:16 PM

Carey Price and Perezoghin to St.Louis for their #1 pick. :)

Brett38 06-13-2006 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larue
Carey Price and Perezoghin to St.Louis for their #1 pick. :)


Yes, by Montreal

No, by St.Louis

ChemiseBleuHonnete 06-13-2006 01:55 PM

ok I'll take a guess... Kessel drops a few spots and the habs pull a deal to draft him. That would be the kind of unexepected deal Gainey could make. I mean, it's really unexepected, Gainey said many times that every move he will make will make the future better for the team. It's not like I dream of getting Kessel, it's just a guess.

Kruky 06-13-2006 07:43 PM

We've been expecting Gainey to do something for the last 3 years. He only got Kovalev and traded Theo (which is good), but not enough in 3 years if you ask me.

Oh wait, forgot Bégin. But thats about it. I'm not expecting much. So if he does something big, it would be a surprise I guess.

SOLR 06-13-2006 07:57 PM

Getting Huet is another one.

Moester 06-13-2006 08:12 PM

Yeah, and getting Streit and Dandenault weren't bad moves either.

Renholder 06-13-2006 08:32 PM

He wants offense? Gainey will trade for gonchar :sarcasm:

jcpenny 06-13-2006 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FisherKing
Well, any SIGNIFICANT upward move in draft positioning would certainly shock me. I seriously doubt that will happen though. As I said in an earlier post, the cost is always too high. Hope I'm wrong but...

It shouldnt shock you at all. The draft is always known to be the time for GM to make big deals since they are all gathered at the same place. Remember the Yashin deal and the Luongo-Jokinen deal?

FisherKing 06-13-2006 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcpenny
It shouldnt shock you at all. The draft is always known to be the time for GM to make big deals since they are all gathered at the same place. Remember the Yashin deal and the Luongo-Jokinen deal?

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'd love to be shocked, but just to be clear, when I talk about a SIGNIFICANT upward movement in draft positioning, I'm talking about going from #16 to something in the #5-#7 range. As I indicated on another thread, I think you are looking at compensation comparable to what the Habs would have to give to get Lecavlier (and no I'm not suggesing that will happen), but using it just for comparison purposes. So the question remains whether there is someone good enough in the #5-#7 to warrant such an investment, and if there is, will one of the teams in that position be willing to trade places. It's the age old dilemma, and usually has the same outcome. Not always, but I'm not betting the farm on the Habs trading up to where they have a realistic chance at a Backstrom, Staal or Bressard. That said, I would love for Gainey to prove my pessimism to be unfounded. ;)

Habbadasher 06-13-2006 09:44 PM

Expect . . . nothing. Then it is all unexpected.

You'll drive yourself crazy otherwise.

Joey 06-13-2006 09:51 PM

the unexpected usually means signing someone big

expecting him to sign someone big is now "expected" since he said that

so therefore the "unexpected" is now him not doing anything big

in conclusion, EXPECT NOTHING!

digitalmonkey* 06-13-2006 09:56 PM

He's gonna acquire Todd Bertuzzi.

Dutchy 06-13-2006 09:58 PM

IMO, the unexpected would be making an offer to a RFA.

Habs514 06-13-2006 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalmonkey
He's gonna acquire Todd Bertuzzi.

I have a feeling that might happen also. They realy tried to get him at the trade deadline.

digitalmonkey* 06-13-2006 10:04 PM

Shanahan finishing his career with the Habs would be a dream but I highly doubt it.

Teufelsdreck 06-13-2006 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larue
Carey Price and Perezoghin to St.Louis for their #1 pick. :)

It may surprise you to learn that I wouldn't make that trade from the MONTREAL point of view! Price is the prospect I would least want to trade. Why? Because the Habs don't have any other goaltender in the system who has the remotest chance of matching the best young goaltenders in the NHL. For example, Cam Ward stymied the Habs. Price MIGHT be able to match Ward, stop for stop, although I don't take it for granted. The Habs wouldn't be capable of matching Carolina for years if they had to rely on Huet, Aebischer, Danis, or Halak. Getting the Blues' #1 wouldn't make up for it. True, Johnson would be ranked ahead of price, but that wouldn't solve the Habs' goaltending problem of the future, and Johnson isn't the best Dman in the world. Moreover, I'd like to retain Perzhogin.

larue* 06-14-2006 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck
It may surprise you to learn that I wouldn't make that trade from the MONTREAL point of view! Price is the prospect I would least want to trade. Why? Because the Habs don't have any other goaltender in the system who has the remotest chance of matching the best young goaltenders in the NHL. For example, Cam Ward stymied the Habs. Price MIGHT be able to match Ward, stop for stop, although I don't take it for granted. The Habs wouldn't be capable of matching Carolina for years if they had to rely on Huet, Aebischer, Danis, or Halak. Getting the Blues' #1 wouldn't make up for it. True, Johnson would be ranked ahead of price, but that wouldn't solve the Habs' goaltending problem of the future, and Johnson isn't the best Dman in the world. Moreover, I'd like to retain Perzhogin.

I guess we will have to just wait and see. ;)

SOLR 06-14-2006 07:25 AM

Carolina wont be as competitive quick. They went for it this year with some prospects for vets.(Location) Montreal depth can maybe sustain a big trade to put us in "first division". Like I said in another thread. Trade Price and get Bernier this year if this gonna improve our team (to be competitive in the next 2 years) in a significant way.(Lecavalier) A trade like that is the missing link for the team to be considered a real stanley cup contender.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:21 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.